Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I start quilting club back up??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-start-quilting-club-back-up-t104038.html)

threadsdmr 03-02-2011 06:21 AM

Find an neutral place. We meet at my church. Maybe just all bring something to share if you are meeting for the day. And then everyone needs to be responsible for their own cleanup.

scaroca 03-02-2011 06:27 AM

I would want a meeting place ans share some of the responsibilities with other. to much for one person every time

mombeth07 03-02-2011 06:27 AM

I agree with most of these ladies, maybe rotating in the homes would be good. But as far as the lady getting drunk I don't know if I could have her back. She should have more respect for the rest of you not to do this. Because if she does it once she most likely do it again. This should be a clean, and fun environment for you to work.

catrancher 03-02-2011 06:38 AM

Maybe set up some ground rules. Also, is there a bad apple in your group? Maybe start a new group w/out the bad apple.

grammy17 03-02-2011 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
You were being walked on, dear...if you start this up again, you will need a few rules to be handed out to your friends...
You will need guidelines...at the first meeting these need to be discussed before any sewing starts...if someone doesn't like the new rules....well...........
A sign up sheet for lunches...or order lunches delivered...for a fee.
A sign up sheet for clean up each week would be nice.
As to the ones that only show up for there own quilts to be quilted...charge them frame time.
Sorry if this sounds a bit harse, but some of these friends are looking for freebees...

This sounds workable to me. Plus only once a month. For the ones who only show for their own quilt--charge them or say after you have worked on others, we can do yours.

Baba71 03-02-2011 06:54 AM

I think this is a good idea, too. Maybe the church would be willing to let you sue a room and you give them a donation once a month for allowing you to meet there.

Originally Posted by quilter1943
WOW! What a group. Why don't you find a church fellowship hall or library room, some place other than your home to meet. Set some guidelines. If you're close to one of the ladies, maybe you could do it together.

Roberta 03-02-2011 06:54 AM

I'm not sure a rotating location would help if there's a frame to be carted around. I would make a contract or just a paper with the rules in them so they all know what is expected. I would also assign "clean-up" on a rotating basis so everyone can help you clean up the mess left behind and also set up a monthly schedule on who provides what for meals. That will weed out those who really don't want to pull their weight from those who truly enjoy the company. Oh, and no alcohol allowed ;-)

Betty Lee 03-02-2011 06:59 AM

I belong to the church group of quilters. We meet twice
a month at the church. We meet from 6:30 to 8:30pm. Everyone has already eaten so we don't bring in food. You can bring your own coffe, soft drink etc. We work together
on making quilts for the missionaries. You can also bring
your own project to work on. If you want to start your group again I would set rules and have it some place other
than your homes. Betty Lee

granny5 03-02-2011 08:21 AM

Dang, sounds like one of my family reunions. I would definitely set up on a rotating home basis. I am sure everyone enjoys it when they can just walk in and have a good time. You need that pleasure every now and again. If you dread the get togethers it takes all the fun out of it. Perhaps not every week, but once every two weeks or once a month.

Olivia's Grammy 03-02-2011 08:48 AM

I belong to ASG and we meet monthly at a church. Sometimes we stay past lunch time so we bring a lunch. We all set up and tear down. No one person has to do all the work. I've been doing this for about 20 years and it work well for us. We learn different things from each other and enjoy the sewing fellowship. We take up dues each month and at the end of the year we use it as a donation to a needy family.