Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Silly Sewing Poll - i'm wondering who's like me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/silly-sewing-poll-im-wondering-whos-like-me-t20195.html)

carolw 05-20-2009 05:46 AM

socks--have to wear shoes and orthotics when walking--but need the control feeling--:o)

SandyMac 05-20-2009 05:48 AM

I wear my socks.Your right It feels like I have more control quie offten I take a shoe off when I'm driving.I think it comes from going bare foot for so long. :D

omak 05-20-2009 06:21 AM

So! Now we know!
Most quilters have control issues? :D

adrianlee 05-20-2009 06:23 AM

Shoes. I wear supports in my shoes for my poor old tooties, if they are happy than I am happy and I can sew to my heart's desire.

redrummy 05-20-2009 06:31 AM

I must be stocking footed or bare footed. I need to feel the pedal or I don't have the control I want. I was sewing at work, and they were teasing me about taking my shoes off. Oh well, I learned barefoot (that is how I am at home anyway) and maybe it is in my head, but I like it better that way.

redrummy 05-20-2009 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
Funny you should ask that!! I have to be barefoot. I feel better using the petal barefoot. I have tried with shoes on but it is just not comfortable for me. Are there any others like that out there?

exactly!!!!!

wichypoo 05-20-2009 06:33 AM

Hey, me too I sew in socks. If I have shoes on I usually kick off my right on for the pedal, much bett control don't ya know ;)

omak 05-20-2009 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by wichypoo
Hey, me too I sew in socks. If I have shoes on I usually kick off my right on for the pedal, much bett control don't ya know ;)

This is a common statement, I didn't just single you out <g>, but I was thinking ... why do I sew in stocking feet? I agree that I can "feel" the peddle better, but more, the weight of my shoes, plus being a natural "lead foot", is just too heavy on my ankle. And, then it came to me! Could it be that the angle of my legs and feet, because of the height of the table I have put my machine on ... could that be a contributing factor as to whether we sew with shoes or socks?
Maybe, if we designed a board that angled the peddle differently, more of us would wear shoes.
Come to think of it, hubby and I found an old Singer machine in cabinet at a thrift store, and it runs by using my knee! (of course, that was a problem, because at the factory, the knee lever was the thing that raised the presser foot. So, I was sewing some satin thing, wanted to change my fabric under the presser foot, forgot where I was, and when I hit the knee lever to lift the foot - - <g> well, an old machine going as hard as it can on satin ... not a pretty picture! LOL)
Anyway, I just had this design idea and came to ponder with you all. A design flaw has a better ring to it than control issues, don't you think? LOL

Susan F 05-20-2009 06:58 AM

I always take off my shoe that I use for the pedal. So most of the time I walk around with omly one shoe on. My daughter drives the same way. she tskes off her gas pedal shoe.

wichypoo 05-20-2009 07:03 AM

Boy I just read my own post and I can't type accurately sorry. :oops: I agree the change from old to new with knee control and two differen functions is a definite design error. Makers of machines should know we'll have as many machines as we can. I have two right now but would love a featherweight.