Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   UFOs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ufos-t293523.html)

MadQuilter 12-24-2017 04:08 PM

I joined the guild's UFO challenge which means we write 10 projects down. Thinking that writing them down would help me finish more, I was mistaken. Life got in the way and I got 3 out of the 10 (and another one not written down) done. That's 4 more than I had last year finished. Unfortunately I created a few more tops this year to add to the UFO pile. It's a struggle. Wish I had the dedication Teen has - not to start a new one til the latest one is complete. But I don't and doubt I ever will.....

Have to say that it feels GREAT to cross a UFO off the list.

Battle Axe 12-24-2017 05:19 PM

So I went into my stash room with a blank clip board. I got up to 9 and then discovered that the fabric that I had just purchased, had been purchased several years before and was in a tub staring at me. I think it is a wake up call. Gotta shop in the stash. Then I found several (maybe 25 yards) of Jinny Beyer. More reasons to shop in the stash.

I consider a finished top to be a finish. There are seven of those.

SandyinZ4 12-24-2017 05:44 PM

Just a reminder..the 2017 UFO Challenge of the Month( https://www.quiltingboard.com/quilti...h-t284858.html )thread is wrapping up on here and Janice needs someone to take over. If you are good at keeping tallies, I know she would appreciate a volunteer to take over her job of past two years. I did it before her. It is a fun thread as you get to see first what others have completed. The goal for 2018 is to hit over 300 finishes! Can anyone volunteer?

Garden Gnome 12-24-2017 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe (Post 7968954)
So I went into my stash room with a blank clip board. I got up to 9 and then discovered that the fabric that I had just purchased, had been purchased several years before and was in a tub staring at me. I think it is a wake up call. Gotta shop in the stash. Then I found several (maybe 25 yards) of Jinny Beyer. More reasons to shop in the stash.

I consider a finished top to be a finish. There are seven of those.

Oh, I don't have any trouble finishing the top---it's the sandwiching and quilting that I get hung up on.

Judith1005 12-24-2017 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Teen (Post 7968815)
I don't have any UFO's. I'm a bit anal and work on projects start to finish. When a quilts done, I take it to the quilter and bind it immediately when I pick up. I was able to finish all my Christmas projects in time. I did Christmas all year, which was a first for me. That's not to say that I don't have stacks of fabrics organized for quilts waiting to be cut and sewn. Lol! This year I will likely have a UFO since I'm starting a Baltimore Album quilt. Since I plan on making other things I will work on BA a bit at a time. Probably drive me nuts but I'll give it a try. Lol..

Bless your heart, I need to channel your spirit. Get caught up and stay caught up!! :thumbup:

Jingle 12-24-2017 09:36 PM

I am like teen and totally finish a quilt before starting another. I don't have storage room for ufos.

Mkotch 12-25-2017 03:18 AM

[QUOTE=I think I will join the UFO thread next year. Hopefully, I will be able to contribute a lot of finishes next year.[/QUOTE]

WAIT! There's a UFO thread on this board? Where? I sure need it!

janjanq 12-25-2017 04:07 AM

I started dating a friend about 9 years ago. (We were both widowed). Things were getting serious so I wanted to make him a throw quilt for Valentine's day. It was January when I started so I didn't have much time. It was a panel quilt so I only had to add borders but I didn't know how I would quilt it since I had only SITD before. So I decided to piece the back using jelly roll strips and figured I would SITD from the back to quilt it. I was still working then so I did not have time to finish it by Valentine's day. I wrapped the top and partially pieced back and gave him the unfinished quilt anyway with a promise to finish it within a few weeks. We got married that August and I still didn't have it done. 8 years later my husband reminded me that he was still waiting for it. So I finally finished it last June and told him "Happy Valentine's Day" as I handed it to him. He loves it. I am now retired and am in the process of finishing other UFO's.

quilterpurpledog 12-25-2017 04:18 AM

I have a few UFO's-I am never sure why that happens. I really want to finish them. So, I plan to categorize them and work on them-maybe a specific time each week. Maybe that will help. I admire those of you who finish each one you start before going on to another one. I think I get into the UFO thing because something more pressing comes up and the delay in finishing something just gets pushed back and back and then becomes another UFO.

jmoore 12-25-2017 04:18 AM

About three years ago I saw a post on the QB about writing a list of goals for the New Year. I have already set aside the 11x17 poster board for 2018’s list of goals and this will be my 4th year. Ladies and gentlemen, I can tell you it really does help to have this list in plain sight in your sewing area where you are reminded of your current projects and UFO’s. I got about 85% of my 2017 goals done so the first one on my 2018 list is my Gypsy Wife project...it’s about 3/4’s of the way done.

In 2017 I also started adding a few non-quilting goals at the bottom of my poster board...like organizing my recipes. (Ps...I have kept all of the previous year’s list of goals as a reminder of my accomplishments)