Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do that's "against the rules"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-thats-%22against-rules%22-t160218.html)

bearisgray 10-14-2011 10:40 AM

Guess it depends on what book one is following - - - - or what a particular teacher/instructor said - - - - on whether or not I'm breaking "the rules"

Sandra in Minnesota 10-14-2011 11:05 AM

I do whatever I feel like. The quilt police aren't welcome here.

writerwomen 10-14-2011 11:06 AM

Pretty much everything. I am left handed in a right handed world and do better at writing directions then following someone elses

Quilter Lois 10-14-2011 11:07 AM

My quilt, My rules!!!

desertrose 10-14-2011 12:05 PM

Rules ??? What Rules ??? No One Told Me About Rules, I just Ad Lib ??? Making charity quilts is all about making do with what you have, when you have it isn't it :?: :?: :?: Have I been doing it wrong all along :?: :?: :?: Oh, well I've been wrong my whole life why stop now when I'm in the last chapter of my life :!: :!: :!: Too happy to change now... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Deborah12687 10-14-2011 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by writerwomen
Pretty much everything. I am left handed in a right handed world and do better at writing directions then following someone elses

I am left handed and they always say left handers are more creative!

JanTx 10-14-2011 12:22 PM

My grandmother was a quilter - by necessity at first and then as a creative outlet. I am blessed to have several of her quilts. Of course, I know that these quilts are perfect and perfectly made. Until I took a quilting class and found that she had not done things the way I had been taught to do them. So I guess MeMaw broke the rules? It was such a comfort to me to know that wonderful things that could bless generations didn't have to fit a set of rules. Really freed me to have more fun with less stress.

Binding. I've tried doing it the way I was taught - bias joined, hand sewn to finish. Made my fun hobby not so fun. So, the last 20 or so I've done I've just brought the backing over to the front - folding it under past the top of the quilt to double it on both sides and machine stitch using a scallop or zigzag. I do miter the corners. And they're DONE.

I like to know some accepted practices and what has worked for others - gives me a great starting place.

madamekelly 10-14-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
I mix stripes with plaids!

Sometimes, I don't close my rotary cutter blade the instant the cut is compete, but I do chide myself on that.

I will pray for the safety of your fingers. Baaad quilter. :shock:

meanmom 10-14-2011 01:52 PM

I am sure I have broken every one of them. Can't be creative if you don't break the rules.

EverNow 10-14-2011 02:27 PM

I guess yardage amounts. And I usually pay for the mastake. I've never been right.