Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do that's "against the rules"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-thats-%22against-rules%22-t160218.html)

redmadder 01-28-2012 12:25 PM

There were no rules when I started. If it worked, I did it that way. And found there's a dozen ways of doing everything. It's been an adventure.

ShabbyTabby 01-28-2012 12:27 PM

I use the easiest patterns I can find, then change them to suit me. I'm no show quilter. I just make quilts for the pleasure of sewing and love piecing the tops. I probably have broken every rule made....

QuiltingHaven 01-28-2012 12:50 PM

Oh, thank goodness, that the great quilters are saying "there are no rules." I have been concerned when I do something and then read....don't do that....I am relatively new to this wonderful quilting because when I retired last year, I took up quilting. I love the sewing machines, love the material and am having a ball quilting even though there may be a tad few rules I have broken along the way. I am learning so I figure I will get better and until then, whatever rule I break, I will just look like a deer in the headlights and say "oh, I didn't know that rule but I do now"..will do better as I get older....and smarter.....and better at this wonderful hobby (err, life experience).

tate_elliott 01-28-2012 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by leggz48 (Post 4917800)
So, referring to using sheets for backing . . . I've found a brand that has a 200 thread count that are soft, durable and inexpensive; especially compared to the 108" backing at $15 per yd.

Please share! I've been looking around and coming up empty.

Tate

IAmCatOwned 01-28-2012 02:19 PM

I am switching to machine binding.
I don't square up unless it is something you make larger and then square down (I hate cut off points).
I almost never pin.
I often skip pressing during some steps unless intended for a swap.
I don't prewash.

The thing is, I tell beginners this is simply personal choice and not necessarily best practice and why. My 'slovenly' ways will never win me an award, but I enjoy the project.

theoldgraymare 01-28-2012 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by moonrise (Post 4452241)
I sew my binding on backwards, by machine (sew it to the back, then flip it to the front). I think it looks better. :-D

I do the same thing. I feel like such a rebel!

Teddybear Lady 01-28-2012 04:30 PM

"Rules"! You mean there are rules? :shock:

theoldgraymare 01-28-2012 04:59 PM

I almost never use my seam ripper. I should rip and resew, but unless it is a MAJOR problem, what the heck...good enough. Who's going to notice?

pasolovers 01-28-2012 05:31 PM

Rules???What Rules???? I wanna see the "BOOK", Who was it written by???

hobo2000 01-28-2012 05:48 PM

In ourLQS resides the Chief of Quilt Police always telling everyone what they do wrong. Wait till I bust her bubble about quilting rules. If an artist mixes orange with pink, it's creative license, but when I show up with my spring concoction in pink and orange, there's a law? I think not, are not we all artist working in fabric? Thinking outside the box shows our creativity, and there are no laws, outside the box.