Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the silliest thing you did while quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-silliest-thing-you-did-while-quilting-t23488.html)

Esqmommy 07-31-2009 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by sandiphi
I went away for a quilt retreat with a bunch of girls in my guild and when I took my machine out of the machine bag I realized I left the plug at home. ERRRRR. So now that is the first thing I pack.

Now ya got my curiosity up (some folks call it being nosy, but I think it's all about the presentation!) - what did you do??

I have pretty much done what everyone else has done - sewn to my clothes, sewn without noticing the bobbin was empty, put a needle into my finger, oh, and last one I haven't seen mentioned is forgetting to change my foot for a particular stitch and hearing the needle slam into the foot and break! Ooooh, I hate that one. Always feel so stupid and careless.

sewjoyce 07-31-2009 07:27 AM

Did you ever sew a block together and then look at it, know that it's wrong but can't figure out what the heck you did?????

amandasgramma 07-31-2009 07:45 AM

Oh, this thread is priceless!!! Sure has made my day. Now I KNOW I'm normal! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Besides the usual, sewing without bobbin thread, breaking needles, using the wrong stitch, my all time favorite embarrassment was going to a class that required us to bring out walking foot. I couldn't find that darn thing to save my life. Looked EVERYWHERE and decided I'd left it at my girlfriends -- 3 hrs away! Went to the class and told them I'd have to buy another one :( but they let me borrow one of their extras. :mrgreen: After I got home, it dawned on me......the foot was on my other sewing machine!!! :shock:

sandiphi 07-31-2009 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy

Originally Posted by sandiphi
I went away for a quilt retreat with a bunch of girls in my guild and when I took my machine out of the machine bag I realized I left the plug at home. ERRRRR. So now that is the first thing I pack.

Now ya got my curiosity up (some folks call it being nosy, but I think it's all about the presentation!) - what did you do??

I have pretty much done what everyone else has done - sewn to my clothes, sewn without noticing the bobbin was empty, put a needle into my finger, oh, and last one I haven't seen mentioned is forgetting to change my foot for a particular stitch and hearing the needle slam into the foot and break! Ooooh, I hate that one. Always feel so stupid and careless.

When some of the girls wasn't using their machine, I used theirs. When the machines were busy I cut fabric, ironed, helped others when needed. But, I didn't sew on my machine at all. We were 3 hours away from home, I was not driving back home to get it. I still had a good time.

Bill'sBonBon 07-31-2009 09:45 AM

One day I was sewing some blocks to a sash,they were animal themed so it wasn't hard to see where the right sides were,and I sew the right side to the wrong side. :shock: Gritted my teeth,ripped it out pinned it again,sewed the same way right to wrong. :x I bit my lip ripped it out pinned it again,looked real close,did it again but only pinned it :cry: I then very carefully unpinned and very carefuly put right sides to gether and pinned again. :D Got it right that time. Where was my Brain darned if I know. :oops: But I stopped for a rest after that. :D
BillsBonBon

MadQuilter 07-31-2009 09:45 AM

I've trimmed a block without moving the other blocks out of the way, saying to myself: DON'T CUT THE FINISHED BLOCKS! YOU DON'T HAVE ANY MORE FABRIC!

I'm sure I don't need to finish writing what happened......

Oh, and I am notorious for keeping a few projects in piles on the work table. When I need to cut long pieces and use the long template, on occasion I play the fabric version of 52-card pickup when the template pushes the stack over the edge. YOU'D THINK I'D LEARN, huh?

:lol: :twisted: :lol:

Iluv2quilt 07-31-2009 09:50 AM

Well I do a lot of silly things, ranging from sewing wrong side to right side, patterns in wrong direction, etc. I think the silliest thing is where I try to sew while sleeping at the machine.

mochasue 07-31-2009 10:16 AM

Those are great. I have done my share, but my favorite is:

I have very long hair and I have cut my hair while using the rotary cutter.

Doesn't seem so bad, but I'm talking about cutting 16" of hair!

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 07-31-2009 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by mochasue
Those are great. I have done my share, but my favorite is:

I have very long hair and I have cut my hair while using the rotary cutter.

Doesn't seem so bad, but I'm talking about cutting 16" of hair!

Oh, I've done that too!
Well, I haven't lopped 16" off, but a good chunk. I recently cut my hair, so now it's only about half way down my back, and I make sure to tie it up when I'm sewing, lol!

I don't know that I've done anything really brainless, pretty much everything that's been mentioned so far I am guilty of having done one or two (or seventeen... :roll: ) times.

The most annoying thing, I think, was probably not pinning enough before quilting, and doing fmq, and realizing a loooooooong time after that there was a huge fold. I really hate unpicking.

I've also cut right through my finished blocks while trimming excess on the one I was working on...more than once.

redkimba 07-31-2009 10:46 AM

I thought I had measured something using one of those lined rulers, but ended up cutting a strip that was 2.5 inches instead of 3 inches wide.

I had to go to the quilt store 10 miles away to get more fabric as I didn't have enough to make squares....