Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What are you talking about when you speak of your stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-you-talking-about-when-you-speak-your-stash-t57709.html)

Mariposa 08-03-2010 08:10 PM

I agree with CC Quilt Girl! :)

kwiltkrazy 08-03-2010 08:19 PM

I have a pretty extensive stash. I inherited it from my Grandma when she died, and also from my sister when she decided she didn't like quilting. I also got 11 boxes of scraps from a friend that decided she was never going to use scraps again. so I do have a large stash.

0tis 08-03-2010 09:07 PM

I am pretty new to this - but I have yardage in a couple of tubs - try to keep it neat but usually gets all mixed up when I dig through it. I have some smaller pieces and I was throwing away all of my scraps but I am trying to keep some of them now. So I am new to the game but I do have a sufficient supply of yardage that I won't be bored if I get snowed in this winter....

Rebecca VLQ 08-04-2010 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
IMHO, your stash is any fabric you have in your posession whether scraps or whole pieces, whether a small shoe box or a roomful.

This is most like me. Stash is anything that isn't nailed down and can be sewn together. :D

Without going into "how much" I have (because it's irrelevant) I like to keep my eyes peeled for things that speak to me, that make my heart leap, that might not necessarily be a "new" line but is new to me. And I like to have at least a few fabrics that go together so I'm not stuck with a yard of "what do I do with this?"

The goal in quilting is not to keep up with the Jones's, but to be satisfied with what works for you. If you like to have folded fabrics all in a row, have at it! If you like to use up virtually every scrap before you buy more, that's great too! :D

mygirl66 08-04-2010 04:19 AM

Alot of my stash is clothes that are going to be recycled.I also hit alot of thrift stores on deal days (the 2nd Tues of the month, you can get 5 pc for $5.00). Your stash does not have to come from a fabric store. I also hit alot of garage sales and pick up the cutest tops for .25 that are cotton, and would look beautiful in a quilt!

pocoellie 08-04-2010 04:24 AM

Dix-anytime you're in the area, feel free to come by.

mlaceruby 08-04-2010 04:30 AM

Well I admit my stash is HUGE!
But if I didn't do quilts and kits for others it would be smaller. As I buy alot of what a customer wants not maybe what I would use if the quilt were for me.
Every stash is precious!

dotcomdtcm 08-04-2010 04:49 AM

I have about 6 shelves in a cabinet and a laundry basket of scraps. I sort by theme, kids, holiday, NYC, batiks, floral, etc. The other thing I have which I highly recommend is our "art shelf". Over the years I have collected beads, buttons, floss, ribbons, decoupage scraps, glitter, doll hair, felt, buttons, each in a plastic shoe box. My Mom was great at picking up odds and ends at the flea market. I use the stuff all the time!

mrspete 08-04-2010 05:08 AM

I pick up little scraps......I mean just scraps from different people who are tired of moving them from place to place or just tired of looking at it. Odds and ends, really. I am to the place that the quart size ziplocks can't be zipped and I need to either find larger containers or something. I've seperated the flannel pieces and the novelty pieces with glitter. And the solids, not enough to make different bags. So I've taken ziplocks and laid them on the floor and started with a hand full walking by and dropping the color for that pile on the bag and it looks almost organized, again. But, for the larger pieces, like to fold, it takes forever and a day. they get quick fold and left on the ironing board and I make myself do a stack each time I am in the utility room. I almost have an organized 'stash'. Almost means, with drawers for the larger folded, no color or design just folded out of sight. I still have stacks of it. Times get hard again, I can sew to my content. I call it lap top sewing because I don't have room to spread out. You who have room are so blessed. I'm still happy as a pig in mud.

Blessings,
Ruth

CoyoteQuilts 08-04-2010 06:52 AM

Your stash is where ever you can shop at midnight when you can't sleep and a quilt is floating around in your head. Some are able to keep their stash in their computer with a plastic card nearby, but me I have to have my stash in totes in my sewing room.