Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What are you talking about when you speak of your stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-you-talking-about-when-you-speak-your-stash-t57709.html)

weezie 08-04-2010 07:33 PM

Gosh no, you're not alone. I don't have a large stash, but it's one that I've been accumulating for many years. I am a bargain hunter and a mood shopper; when I see fabric that I really like, is excellent quality, at an excellent price, I buy it and it goes into the stash. When I see a quilt pattern I want to make, I can often get all the fabric I require off my own shelves.

littlehud 08-04-2010 07:45 PM

Don't worry. Your stash will continue to grow. Just keep buying fabric for future quilts. It's not the size anyway. Yours is a stash. Mine isn't that big either.

stefanib123 08-04-2010 07:47 PM

My husband was laughing at me today. My father in law was throwing out 2 of those big 65 quart rubbermaid tubs, and I got them "for my fabric". He was laughing because I couldn't even fill half a tub! LOL!

But, the last laughs on him! I have a smaller one already full in the closet, and I have been buying here and there on ebay, with plans to get more, LOl.

At the rate I'm going, I will have them full in no time!

AnnaK 08-04-2010 08:23 PM

Gilla, don't feel bad that you don't have a stash like some of the others here. Many just buy the fabric they need for the next quilt. I don't have the room to have a huge stash and would like to discipline myself to not buy unless I have a project in mind. What's happened with some of the fabric I've bought is that I am no longer 'in love' with it, then you're stuck having spent that money that you won't see again. So, there is nothing wrong with just buying what you need. To each his/her own.

nana myra 08-05-2010 03:24 AM

I am with you, I buy as I need for projects. I also have lots of left overs. Never even sure how to separate,:color, sizes, print, etc.??? But it sure is fun, love to just look at the bits I have. The thrift stores or yard sales are good places to pick a little here and there.

Peggy 08-05-2010 04:31 AM

I am fortunate to have a large stash of fabric collected since the late 1980s. It is stored in a closet in my sewing room and grows since I never seem to have all that I need for any project and have to buy more! I need a larger closet! BTW this does not include the 9 plastic containers under my sewing table! I do not "browse" in fabric shops much anymore, tho, which helps.

MommaThomps 08-05-2010 04:40 AM

That's the same for me. It's a lot of material leftover from previous projects or projects I plan to do in the future. I need to do a scrappy quilt one of these days.

nana2 08-05-2010 04:44 AM

Hello fellow Texan!!! LOL My stash consists of fabrics that I have had for a lot of years and fabrics that I have been given by friends and family over the years. It has grown to more than I would have ever imagined. I have never been able to throw away any scraps left from any kind of project. Recently I organized all of these so that my grand daughter and I would be able to see them easily and now do not plan to buy anything unless it is needed as a blending fabric in a specific project. Today I will be getting myself and GD started on a project to use a lot of the scraps. There is a tute here showing the use of adding machine tape (3") a sort of paper piecing. Various sized strips are sewn "across" the tape making a "roll" of striped pieced fabrics to use in other projects. I thought this was a great way to get scraps ready for using in future project.

mpspeedy 08-05-2010 04:53 AM

I have a largae stash of fabric even several full bolts of basic stuff like black, white, red etc. I make a lot of Linus quilts so that is a good excuse to constantly pick up bargins. I also have fabric and materials for heirloom sewing, a big tub of yardage suitable for backing. When I had a number of handquilting commissions I used to pick up yardage whenever I got a good price. I also have lots of speciality things like trims, stabilizers, cording, handkerchiefs etc. etc. I have a huge stash of thread for sewing, quilting, serging and embroidery as well as several thousand dollars worth of embroidery software etc. Lets not forget the rulers, stencils, markers, mats, cutters and all the other gadgets etc. needed for creative sewing.

mar32428 08-05-2010 04:58 AM

The older you get, the more stash you build. Organized? What's that?