Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What are you talking about when you speak of your stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-you-talking-about-when-you-speak-your-stash-t57709.html)

MarySews 08-05-2010 08:42 AM

I started quilting in 1970. A few leftover scraps here, afew there, it ads up. then there are the planned quilts -- all set, plenty of fabric, whoops, no time, so another whole box -- add to the stash, and on and on for for 40 years -- whoo, no wonder there is so much -- stuff. -- a huge stash

Mary

nitakhoops 08-05-2010 08:57 AM

I'm like you...I have a lot of little pieces and not a bunch of neatly color coordinated piles of fabric sitting idly on a shelf.
When I get tired of shuffling the odds and ends from other projects, I make a scrappy quilt or a child's dolly quilt.
I don't have a huge stash as I buy what I need to make a quilt and get rid of the excess as mentioned above. :lol:

xenodeno 08-05-2010 09:15 AM

I just started quilting about 8 months ago, and my stash is already out of control! I inherited a lot of vintage fabric from my grandmother. Then my mother let me have all of her stash. Most of these were floral and not to my liking so I have gone on several sprees to my local Joann's and several quilt shops in my area. I have 4 big plasic bins full, about 10 plastic drawers full, plus quite a bit of yardage hanging in my closets. I really shouldn't have to buy any fabric for years, but I am an impulse shopper. I see, I want, I buy...I'm broke all the time!

klgreene 08-05-2010 09:44 AM

No, you aren't alone....my stash is comprised of what was left from previous quilts. Other than making one large multi, very multi colored quilt, if I want to make a lap size or larger, or need backing, I need to buy more. This is ok by me, because every thing I do is so different than the one before. I like variety.

grandme26 08-05-2010 11:02 AM

I am building my stash, little by little. going at it slowly.

bjnicholson 08-05-2010 11:48 AM

Sometimes, doesn't it seem like your stash creeps up on you? One minute you have everything to keep you busy for 3 or 4 days, then...pow!...you're buried in fabric!

Lyn 08-05-2010 12:30 PM

I have a very large stash but I have been sewing for 37 years. Being a military family and not much money I made the kids and my clothes. Over the years the stash has grown. (Now just waiting for grandchildren but no one seems interested. :( )

New knee 08-05-2010 02:22 PM

My stash is jumbled together also! Who can keep it straight? I am trying to clear out fabric I have(so I can buy some new) and have made a scrappy quilt which I am calling, "Stash away! Stash away! Stash away, all. And to all a good night." (with apology to Clement Moore).

cimarron 08-05-2010 03:21 PM

Tooooo much! But, does that stop me from dreaming every time I look at fab?

cimarron 08-05-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by brenda 5
I wish I didn't have a large stash. In my sewing room i have 2 cabinets nicely folded and stacked fabric. Another cabinet with books, laces and everything else.
In my garage I have around 29 (down one container) of the largest plastic containers you can buy full of fabric. It is a real pain to start moving things around to get to the right container. I have each one marked what is in it. That is the result of working in a fabric store. I have my own now.
I wish now i didn't have so much. I have gave alot away and quilted alot.

That working in a fabric store is what happened to me...but it was three stores simultaneously. They just draw me....I LOVE all the colors and patterns, esp the "watercolor" or "painterly" looking fabs. Tertiary colors #1, but rarely see a fab I cannot think of some use for...making the items is another matter!

:)