Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where do you sew and quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-do-you-sew-quilt-t37044.html)

LucyInTheSky 02-19-2010 10:08 PM

We have an Arizona room (called a California room in CA, lol) which is like an enclosed porch (it's actually part of the house, rather than like what my parents have where you go outside of the house and there's an enclosed area), so I walk past the kitchen, down a step, into a fully part-of-the-house room, heating, cooling, etc. I do it all in there. TV set up and everything.

And then quilts in progress get laid out in the living room, as long as I'm actively working on them (if not, the rule is they go away).

And sometimes the dining room table if it's available.

And the office, since the fabric closet is in that room.

But that's it :-D

crazicorn 02-20-2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by hnyb
I bought a small camper, complete with tv,small stool, and kitchen if needed. I moved it into the back yard. It is my sewing room. I love it.

Ok...I love this idea! Ingenious.

jojo47 02-20-2010 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by rosalia856
I orginally had my sewing room in a small 8x13 BR out grew it . Moved to the basement after my wonderful husband made an esculator to the basement. I haave MS and this saves me from taking the steps. One half of the basement is my sewing room and the other half is his studies for teaching Sunday School. We both can be togeather and share our thoughts.If I have small things to cut out or sew I bring them to the LR and use a TV tray. Sometimes when we travel to MI I will take a quilt that needs it's binding sewed down. That makes the trip goes fast also. Have project ,have supplies will sew just about anywhere. Kind of crazy those quilters.LOL

But we are a neat bunch, aren't we?

canmitch1971 02-20-2010 12:02 PM

When we moved into this house the attic was just used for storage. We had it finished and it is all mine. I love it!!! I even have a bathroom up here.

carrieg 02-20-2010 12:15 PM

It's kinda good to hear that so many of you have your LR or dining room as your sewing room! I'm like a lot of you that I like to spend time in the evenings with my hubby. I sometimes cut on the dining room table. Now I won't feel bad if I do all my cutting there!

My sewing room is half of our upstairs spare room. My half is probably 15x20. We don't have a basement, so the other half of that room is storage. But the house has a hip/gambrel roof, so the walls are angled. Can't hang anything up and any shelving has to be short.

Eventually, I'll move into our bedroom. We're in the progress of putting a bedroom on downstairs. We plan to die in this house LOL and want everything on 1 level. But since we're doing it ourselves, it will be awhile yet! LOL

smolfsine 02-21-2010 08:47 AM

I bought a new house so I could get a big enough room for my longarmed sweing maschine. I have the masterbed room with the two walk in closets. I have my regular seving mashine, embordery, and logarmed sewing mashine in there. It is still so new I have not goten my tv and pc set up in there yet.

For hand work I like to sit in my living room and waching tv at the same time.

For drafting I like to use my pc. I have 2 pc's thats mine. The main pc is in the Office. the other pc I use to be able to wach tv over the internet in my sewingroom like Alex anderson & Ricky Tims: The Quilt Show.

marla 02-22-2010 12:07 PM

Hey Marsye, I like your idea of converting the garage to a sewing space. Do you worry about humidity on your machine(s)? And fabric? I would love to sew on my porch but would take the machine in at night.

Ma for Aadyn 02-22-2010 03:27 PM

I am very lucky I have the whole basement to myself . My sewing room is in the basement where every Monday night 4 of my quilting buddies come and we sew. I am able to set up everything I need and leave it. They leave their machines at there place We have done this for about the last 7 years. In the summer we go out on a little patio I have off my sewing room .

som 02-22-2010 03:40 PM

I Just moved into a apt. that has a storage roon right off the kitchen 7 ft, x12 its perfect for3 machines and a serger and a criucut create

so9m

dljennings 02-22-2010 04:44 PM

I have an antique cape, and 1/2 the upstairs is just an open room, so i took over that. i share with my dd & ddil, but i got the book "organizing your quilting space" and we got it set up pretty well. the electrician was here (again) and i had him install some lighting fixtures (undercabinet lites) onto the bottom of the collar ties & that took care of the lighting...

the only down side is my dd's room is up there & i can't sew in the middle of the night (hot flashes, power surges, whatever you want to call them)

i love that my dh only goes up there twice a year, once to get the christmas stuff out of the attic, and once to put it back.

btwn the 3 of us, there are a lot of projects going on & laying out waiting !!

we love it