Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wide backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wide-backing-t52071.html)

rustqlts 07-02-2010 04:18 AM

www.quiltinaday.com, one of Eleanor Burns' web sites, has wide backing reasonably priced. I've bought from there a few times. Also, check fabric.com .

Joeysnana 07-02-2010 04:22 AM

My small town only has a Joann's, so that is where I get my backing.

jan22 07-02-2010 05:00 AM

I piece small quilts but when I have a queen or king I always use the wide fabric. It's much easier to have one whole piece instead of trying to piece together 4 and 5 yards of fabric. Since I don't quilt anything that large, I like to let my long arm quilter wrestle with all that fabric insead of me. There is a wide variety of colors and brands of wide fabric available today both in LQS's and on the web. Price wise, it's much cheaper to go with the wide width.

reginalovesfabric 07-02-2010 05:06 AM

I purchased a bolt of 98" wide muslin from Marshalls dry goods and it ended up for 20 yards being $50. Hancocks sell wide backing.

Up4BigChal 07-02-2010 05:06 AM

Well I've found everyone carries 108" backing Joanns, Mill end textiles (very good Price) not just online.

mar32428 07-02-2010 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sannianni
I'm pretty new at quilting. After taking a class and making a small table top quilt, I decided to dive right in and make a large bed size. Where does everyone get the wide backing....not everyone carries it.

I just discovered the following:

www.backsidefabrics.com

I thot I'd died and gone to heaven when I saw the prices. I prefer the large one piece backs rather than piecing. By the time I get the top done, I'm thru piecing for awhile.

mar32428 07-02-2010 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sannianni
I'm pretty new at quilting. After taking a class and making a small table top quilt, I decided to dive right in and make a large bed size. Where does everyone get the wide backing....not everyone carries it.

I just discovered the following:

www.backsidefabrics.com

I thot I'd died and gone to heaven when I saw the prices. I prefer the large one piece backs rather than piecing. By the time I get the top done, I'm thru piecing for awhile.

Boston1954 07-02-2010 05:33 AM

My sister just got some from a place called Marshalls in Batesville, Arkansas.

Also Ann's Fabric and crafts in Center Ossipee, New Hampshire.

LiveToQuilt 07-02-2010 05:42 AM

If you have a Ben Franklin near you, check it out. They carry wider fabrics for quilting. I think IKEA also carries a limited assortment of fabric.

Lori S 07-02-2010 05:51 AM

I use Thousands of Bolts for backing. Most quilt shops and JoAnn's does not carry the selection that you can get at Thousands of Bolts. Their pricing is very good. Do use the search ...since they really do have thousands of bolts. It will get very tiring to search all the fabrics.
I prefer a single piece , when I am done doing the top ... I am done and do not want the hassle of the long lenght, particlulary if my sewing room is not tidy ...as is the case often ...at the end of a quilt top.
Unless you are using orphan fabric ... there is not much to be saved if you shop wisely for a single piece backing.