Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are you working outside your comfort zone...I am... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-working-outside-your-comfort-zone-i-am-t204950.html)

DogHouseMom 11-03-2012 05:50 AM

I almost always work outside my comfort zone. My collection of quilting books is more a collection of techniques than it is a book of patterns. I've tried most of them, but not all of them yet.

I've not done circles yet.

lfletcher 11-03-2012 06:14 AM

I love your fabrics and by the time you get finished with the top, you'll be a pro at curved piecing. It gets much easier with practice. I bought a long arm about a year ago, so most things I quilt are now out of my comfort zone. However, I like the challenge and am enjoying trying all kinds of different things from pantos to custom.

wolph33 11-03-2012 06:17 AM

looks great.yes,I go outside my comfort zone every now and then-yours is beautiful so far.

Kathy T. 11-03-2012 06:23 AM

That is going to be beautiful - it's gorgeous already - nice work outside your comfort zone (I'm still in mine...).

BellaBoo 11-03-2012 06:28 AM

When I'm feeling piecing ambitious I cut and sew one block at a time. If it is a disaster I don't mind tossing one block in the trash.

carolaug 11-03-2012 09:13 AM

Leah is AWESOME...she is the one who taught me how to FMQ and also she was the reason why I bought my 7700 sewing machine....no regrets!!! You will learn a lot from her!

Originally Posted by franc36 (Post 5631316)
I'm taking Leah Day's FMQ Craftsy class. That is definitely outside my comfort zone; but I am excited about what I am learning. Your Drunkard's Path looks lovely. I like your first block and the colors you selected. Best wishes as you work on it.

carolaug 11-03-2012 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I am learning alot doing this...I also now am using my glue stick instead of pins!!! so much easier!
this is all I have gotten done so far...this is not a quilt you can just zip up that is for sure...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]374119[/ATTACH]

slicksister 11-03-2012 09:24 AM

Nope. Not wanting to get out of my comfort zone at all. I've found my style and colors I love and I am deeply happy in that rut! LOL

Kitsie 11-03-2012 09:25 AM

Love the fabrics!! You're doing great! Think how proud you will feel when its completed.

RedGarnet222 11-03-2012 10:56 AM

Starching twice is a wonderful thing when dealing with those type of curves and bias edges. That being said, I love what you are doing here. Keep up the good work carollaug. You are doing great!

While learning to machine quilt, I am in a constant state of learning. I not only want to quilt, but to also stabilize and enhance my top's designs. It is something that takes patience, practice and skill. Something I am not good at (having patience) LOL... I suppose it is all a process that must eventually be learned if we want a lovely finished quilt that is. So far I have read four books on machine quilting and quilted about 40 quilts and smaller projects. I am still not where I want to be yet.