Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem: Expected quilts >

Problem: Expected quilts

Problem: Expected quilts

Old 07-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DebFowler
I have a problem with people now expecting me to make quilts as gifts for babies, weddings, etc. These people are mostly people I work with. I started this myself and now I don't know how to get out of it. I spend so much time quilting for other people, I don't have time to quilt just for enjoyment or heaven forbid, make something for myself!
people you work with expect you to make free quilts for them? they feel automatically entitled?

if found a cure for that. when somebody asks me if i'll make a quilt for them i tell them that the minimum charge is $200 for a simple crib size - minimum quilting or tied. they flip and then leave me alone. if you add up the value of your time and skills, factor in the fact that time spent on a commission quilt is time you can't spend doing what you'd rather be doing, consider that you might get stuck making somehing you don't even like, and then add the cost of supplies, $200 is dirt cheap.

frankly, i don't worry about hurting a moocher's feelings. neither should you. they are selfish boneheads who have relegated you to servant status. but, if you insist on piling unwarranted guilt onto your own shoulders, then start by saying you can no longer afford to give quilts away to everybody who asks for one. then follow up with the minimum charge.

if i've misunderstood and people are not asking you, but you have simply created a self-inflicted obligation, the solution is even easier.

don't make any more quilts for people at work. ba-dum-boom, problem solved. ;-)

(almost forgot my other solution. i offer to teach them how to make one themselves if they buy the supplies. the offer includes helping them shop for the fabs and pick a good beginners' pattern.)
Old 07-11-2010, 04:13 AM

[quote=PatriceJ]
(almost forgot my other solution. i offer to teach them how to make one themselves if they buy the supplies. the offer includes helping them shop for the fabs and pick a good beginners' pattern.)
I agree with Patrice on this. Maybe you could start a quilting bee at work and teach these individuals a new skill. That way its a win-win. That way you'll have time to do your stuff and teach them a very simple block to do. You could even charge a nominal fee if you wanted to. They buy the cloth, batting and backing and you give them a starters pattern.

You do need to take this as a very nice compliment. If your work was shabby you wouldn't be getting this requests. I've quilted for almost 16 yrs and still don't have one for my own room. Have the material though! :lol: :lol:
Old 07-11-2010, 04:41 AM

I think it has more to do with the 'feel' you get from the way some people hint or ask for a quilt. Some of them say "where's mine", "when do I get one", "am I next", "green's my favorite color"...and you feel honored that they want one. Others say it in such a way that the same words make you feel like they think they're entitled to get something since whoever else got one.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:17 AM

Thank you so much for this thread. I have been in a squanderance about what to do. I am just getting tired of always handquilting for every one who asks and I cannot say no. Then I charge some ridiculous price like 175.00 for a king size. I felt bad asking for good prices. So after reading this blog I am going to let them know I am retiring from quilting fro others so I can finish all my UFOs and will let them know if and when I sew for the public again.
I have "friends" who come in and see quilts and say, I want this, etc. And of course family, but now everyone, and I mean everyone in my family has a quilt by me.
I am going to learn to say NO or ignore any hints for a quilt for now.
Hopefully, I can do it. My DH said I am always tired from quilting all day and he actually applauded when I told him I decided to quit quilting for the public.
Thank you everyone for the comments. I am not alone out here. Yeah......Going to work on my batik blocks right now.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:19 AM

I have given quits to people I work with because I want to. When someone asks me to make a quilt, depending on the size requested I mention I would charge 10.00 and hour and looking at min of 40 hours plus cost of fab/batting. That usually turns them off.

I also say quilts I make are suprise gifts and I get too nervous doing consignment quilts.

I've given 30 quilts to people at work for various reasons: first baby, divorce, difficult Christmas, first apartment, cancer comfort quilts, cleaning lady who works her butt off for us, gal moving to Maine from NM...now she really needed a quilt and long underwear too, etc. Don't do anyting for first grandchild. Don't know the mom...won't do the quilt.

Do I sound cranky? Just want to make sure the quit I give away will be used and appreciated. 9 times out of 10 the reciepeint tears up...and so do I!
Old 07-11-2010, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
Thank you so much for this thread. I have been in a squanderance about what to do. I am just getting tired of always handquilting for every one who asks and I cannot say no. Then I charge some ridiculous price like 175.00 for a king size. I felt bad asking for good prices. So after reading this blog I am going to let them know I am retiring from quilting fro others so I can finish all my UFOs and will let them know if and when I sew for the public again.
I have "friends" who come in and see quilts and say, I want this, etc. And of course family, but now everyone, and I mean everyone in my family has a quilt by me.
I am going to learn to say NO or ignore any hints for a quilt for now.
Hopefully, I can do it. My DH said I am always tired from quilting all day and he actually applauded when I told him I decided to quit quilting for the public.
Thank you everyone for the comments. I am not alone out here. Yeah......Going to work on my batik blocks right now.
You only charge $125 for a king!!!!!! I have between 20 and 30 tops that need quilted. If I mail them to you can I have them back in a month? LOLOLOL Seriously, around here that's really CHEAP!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 05:33 AM

When I was working at my last company I think I gave away 2 quilts, my boss new baby and a co-worker breast cancer, another co-worker paid for the pink flannel backing. This co-worker bought 3 bed sized quilts from me, not cheap prices. Another co-worker ordered a custom wall hanging for his wife as a Christmas gift, he told me what he want in it, and the size to fit one partical wall space. I hit it lucky on that one, LQS had FQ sale for $1 each including batik which is what most of them were. Packed a lunch and went with a friend the 2 hours one way trip for the FQ's.
What could be better, lunch in the car looking out over the lake; after buying all those FQ's.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
I have a problem with people now expecting me to make quilts as gifts for babies, weddings, etc. These people are mostly people I work with. I started this myself and now I don't know how to get out of it. I spend so much time quilting for other people, I don't have time to quilt just for enjoyment or heaven forbid, make something for myself!
I read this as people are expected Deb to GIVE THEM gifts of quilts (instead of another gift).

For that I don't have any answers.

HEY DEB! Can you clarify this?
Old 07-11-2010, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
I have given quits to people I work with because I want to. When someone asks me to make a quilt, depending on the size requested I mention I would charge 10.00 and hour and looking at min of 40 hours plus cost of fab/batting. That usually turns them off.

I also say quilts I make are suprise gifts and I get too nervous doing consignment quilts.

I've given 30 quilts to people at work for various reasons: first baby, divorce, difficult Christmas, first apartment, cancer comfort quilts, cleaning lady who works her butt off for us, gal moving to Maine from NM...now she really needed a quilt and long underwear too, etc. Don't do anyting for first grandchild. Don't know the mom...won't do the quilt.

Do I sound cranky? Just want to make sure the quit I give away will be used and appreciated. 9 times out of 10 the reciepeint tears up...and so do I!
The quilts you made sound like you did them from a very loving and generous heart. If that's "cranky" then I just learned a new word :D:D
Old 07-11-2010, 05:57 AM

Unless they mentioned it, I wouldn't even bring it up. I would buy a nice gift (maybe even a blanket from the store) and give it to them. If they mentioned it, then I would let them know that it just isn't possible at this time. I have too many other things going on and I wouldn't be able to work on it.