Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem: Expected quilts >

Problem: Expected quilts

Problem: Expected quilts

Old 07-11-2010, 06:19 AM
JJs
Banned

are you saying that they want YOU to give the quilt or are they paying you to make the quilt?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:19 AM

I just give a chuckle and say I'll add you to the list and leave it at that. Sometimes I think people are just saying that because they think you expect them too. Not for a real desire. If they repeate the request more than twice I rethink it. But I have found that I don't take requests I make what I want and they can have it or not. That way I get to make what I want. good luck
Old 07-11-2010, 07:02 AM

I have recently been in the same boat. Having people requests quilts. And of course stupid me, I do it. After this last experience, I have decided to stop. I am miserable while making theses quilts. They are not what I want to be working on. I recently made a Baby quilt for a friends daughter. the daughter has yet to send a thank you or even a phone call. the friend did call and said "daughter just loved the quilt". (Just not enough to thank me for it).

Yes I am quite upset over it all. I put time and money into it. So I have made a decision to no longer cave into the pressure of making quilts because someone ask. I am only going to make one when I want to. This is not say I will never ever give one away. I know I will, but it will be on my terms and not someone else's. It is called boundaries and it is ok to have them. Good Luck :)
Old 07-12-2010, 02:19 AM

My elderly aunt once told me, "You don't have to give a reason, all you have to say is 'it's not convenient', end of story". Amazing how well it works!
Old 07-12-2010, 02:25 AM

Related question: If I made Baby #1 a quilt, do I need to make Baby #2 one as well? Mom is a good friend and coworker but refuses to find out the gender pre-birth and I hate working around that.....BUT---don't want #1 to have a quilt to use into at least the school years (It turned out about twin size or so) and #2 to feel left out. Due day is around New Year's Day so I have plenty of time as I make them really simple with great fabrics. What do you think?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:51 AM

Simple, you can say, "I will be happy to put you on the list. Your number is 57, in order of requests." Or something like that. Do you charge? I had a friend who said she might have me make one for her grandson. I told her that I don't do the quilting and it is very expensive. I would have made it for her for nothing but just the idea of paying for the quilting part turned her off. I only have one person who quilts and she is expensive. Wish I could find someone here who was cheaper.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:03 AM

I knit and sew kids clothes and had the same issue at my last job. It stopped when I did. I just said I didn't do that anymore. And how much do you want me to put in for a group gift? I made one thing at my current job, then I discovered the hospital volunteer shop - hand made, cute as a boot and it goes to a good cause.
I do still knit, but only for me now.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:51 AM

I made a quilt for a friend that was diagnosed with cancer. Well another lady that volunteered with me asked When do I get mine? Umm never. I simply ignored her. I had the same problem with people in FL when I lived there. They liked the way I decorated so were asking me to decorate their houses. It got nuts. Shopping sewing etc. I finally started telling them I was going to start charging for my time. It dried up with a quickness. Guess I was ok when I was free but not when they had to pay.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:55 AM

I let people know from the beginning that I would only make quilts "I" love. If they like one and say so I usually give it to them. But if they say I want a king size made in orange and bright green with curly Qs I say sorry, look at Walmart. Quilting is my hobby! not my job!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:05 AM

I have a flannel quilt top that my daughter requisted for my grandson. I wanted to finish it with a utility stitch. I said that I would make the quilt but she would have to help with the quilting. I had pictures in my head of my daughter and I quilting together. She always said "I just don't have the time"!
I am stubborn and didn't think that this was too much to ask. Really.
Now, when they request a quilt I tell them to get in line.