Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem washing quilts with cotton batting in a front load washing machine >

Problem washing quilts with cotton batting in a front load washing machine

Problem washing quilts with cotton batting in a front load washing machine

Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 AM

I always use the regular cycle, same one I wash towels with and I've never had a problem. Love the wrinkled look of a fresh washed and dried quilt!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:33 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments. I just finished a small baby quilt that needs to be washed. Since it is small, I will add it to my next load of towels and wash on the regular cycle. I think I've been a bit timid about using the regular cycle which spins on high. So, in a few days I'll give it a try. Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by pinkcastle View Post
I think I've been a bit timid about using the regular cycle which spins on high.
My thoughts about this: A high spin isn't going to do much to a quilt other than press it up against the sides of the tub. I don't see this creating much wear on a quilt.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:28 AM

I have Whirlpool Duet Washer and Dryer and I use cotton batting and successfully wash and dry quilts with no problem. If they are brand new and I am washing a quilt before I send it out, I use the "short cycle"; still comes out beautiful. Is there a problem with your washer?
Old 02-03-2013, 04:38 AM

Make sure your load is balanced! If they are small, add towels or another quilt so it doesn't experience a severe unbalance, which will shorten the spin cycle.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:50 AM
Swap Hosts

Yup. I had the same problem. We are staying in an apartment complex after losing our home to Hurricane Sandy and I just hate using the front load washing machines in the laundry room. I washed a quilt the other day and spent a good half hour over a trash can squeezing and squeezing. It eventually went into the dryer but that took forever.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:34 AM

I don't have any problems washing quilts in my front loader...I purposely purchased a front loader because of making quilts......that being said....I have had a problem with it not spinning dry enough....WHEN.....the lint trap is full in my washer...thank goodness for The Hubs who valiantly lays on the floor and unclogs it for me.....
Old 02-03-2013, 05:38 AM

I had the same problem with my front loader, I found that if I wash my quilts with a towel, the towel seems to soak up the extra water.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:08 AM

I have a front loader and I really love it, but I have had the same problem. Trying to wash 1 baby quilt doesn't let it spin out. Wash 2 and it was fine. Mine also has different speeds for drying- some cycles will let you change and some won't. As for not being able to add something after it has started, someone else mentioned that to me before we got ours, but I can with mine. I do it all the time. I have the Whirlpool Duet Sport. It has a pause button that will unlock the door so things can be added. About the only things the machine can't do is dye fabrics- which I never do.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by pinkcastle View Post
I wash my quilts on the gentle cycle with cold water in a front loader. When I go to put them in the dryer they are sopping wet. I've tried putting them through another spin cycle, but that doesn't seem to do much good. I end up squeezing as much water out as I can before putting it into the dryer. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anything I can do to prevent this? Thanks in advance for your much appreciated advice.
The first time I used my front loader to wash a quilt I encountered the same problem. I had the quilt in there by itself & the service people (over the phone) told me it was because the load was unbalanced & they were right. I threw in a few towels to balance the load & the machine worked perfect. Give it a try & see if that solves your problem.