Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Project Process? >

Project Process?

Project Process?

Old 06-01-2014, 05:42 PM

We had a challenge at our guild in Jan. to finish 6 UFOs by Jun. which has been extended to July. I have 4 out of the 6 finished and am almost finished with the other 2. By the increased deadline, I think I can finish them. Back problems have gotten in my way... Am excited to have totally finished the 4 projects. It has helped clear my mind and think more clearly...
Old 06-01-2014, 06:10 PM

Once I start piecing a top, I stick with it until I am done. If it is going out to a LA to be quilted I start on a new project until it comes back, then I stop whatever else I am doing to get the binding on and have it finished. If I am going to do the quilting myself, I will work on it off and on since I find man-handling the quilt around to be physically tiring..so I may alternate the quilting with work on a piecing top. But otherwise I try to finish each project in order of starting. If I had several unfinished projects laying around it would drive me crazy--guess I am too much of an "A" personality for that!
Old 06-01-2014, 06:17 PM

IF I start a new project before finishing another .. the likely hood that I will go back and finish is slim. For me, the next project always has more excitement than the finishing of the current.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:29 PM

I work on at least 5 projects at a time. I set guidelines for myself and usually spend a week at a time on each one. It works for me as many times I like to mull over the next step in the project. It also gives me something "new" to work on all the time. I do find that once I reach a certain point I tend to concentrate on a project and get it completed. The good thing is then I get to work on another one! All my UFO's are in acid free containers with the instructions, specialty rulers, etc. I usually leave myself a note as to what the next step should be so they are easy to pick up and work on.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:39 PM

Good question. I don't think i have a single process. Some quilts just seem to make themselves, start to finish, and nothing I can do will change that. Others, get off to a fast start, then something comes up and they go in a big zip lock bag with all the makings for the quilt top. They do finally get pieced, though.

Right now I have about 20 tops waiting to be quilted. They are on the top of my list of things to do this year, but I've been busy with a few minor health issues, family stuff, sort of vacations and now my grandsons are here and they tend to keep me busy!
Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 PM

If you're having a problem with what to do next, use one of those blocks that you don't count to make a doll quilt and donate it. Small project, short amount of time and then you'll be ready to move on to the next big project.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:51 PM

Good question. I usually have two in progress. I have the two BOM quilt blocks from last year finished (was finished in December 2013). I put one of them together and it is ready for sandwiching and quilting. This one will be tied as it was a learning process. I learned that I can actually make some blocks that used to scare me away. The second one is on hold because I started a special Christmas project of making 4 Christmas Tree wall hangings. I am ready to assembly these ... woohoo! When they are finished I will go back to the BOM quilts and get them finished and out of the way. I have a bucket list of quilts I want to make!

Good luck and happy quilting!
Old 06-01-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I finish one thing before starting another. I have no UFO's, unless you count blocks made during a class to learn a specific technique. (And I don't count those.) Sounds good, right? Not necessarily. I have a huge problem deciding what to start next, despite having a mountain of fabric and patterns.
Ha! This is me too. It is good to know that I am not alone.

Dina
Old 06-01-2014, 07:17 PM

I complete what I start. I only have one UFO and that was a quilt top I made some years ago when I took a class. Someday I'll have to quilt it. I don't like having unfinished projects. It depresses me and I do this to have fun.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 PM

Make a sampler! That way every block is like a new quilt!