Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Project Process? >

Project Process?

Project Process?

Old 06-02-2014, 09:27 AM

I usually finish my projects. I say " usually" because I did a pair of machine appliquéd wall hangings, one for me, one for my daughter, and decided I hated machine appliqué and it didn't turn out well. They're still in my closet because I can't bring myself to throw them out. The only other thing I have undone are some EPP six-pointed stars and a bunch of hexies I don't know what I'm going to do with yet. They're my hand projects I do when I want to hang out with my hubby and watch TV instead of my craft room alone.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ShelleyCS View Post
No UFOs. I complete a project before moving on.
I really admire this. I have lots of physical limitations and can only work on one thing so long. It really helps me to change position and vary what my hands are doing, so I have cutting, piecing, quilting, applique and basting going on all the time. The drawback with this is that I only advance a little each day on each different thing. I'm sure this would drive some people batty.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:37 PM

Sounds like you are hooked. I have trouble finishing my quilts, too. I usually need a deadline to really motivate me.
I have so many UFOs I'm afraid to count them. My new strategy is to post a picture every time I finish one. I enjoy looking at others, so maybe I"ll enjoy showing them off.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:41 PM

I have a few tops done waiting to be brought to a long armer. I have yet to machine quilt on my machine. The throat space is not that big and I have not bought the walking foot or free motion foot yet.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

I only wish I was a start to finish quilter. I have so many flimsies I stopped counting. But I do like to pull them out every so often and enjoy looking at them and planning.

Then I start a new quilt.

I am not a planner when it comes to making quilts. if I see a pattern I would like to make I like to get it started so I don't forget about it. I may put it away for a few months while I finish other tops and will come back to it.

I do know this. I don't know who but, some one at a thrift shop is going to get a lot of quilt tops to finish any way they want, when I am gone from the world. And about 10 thousand dollars worth of fabric too!
peace
Old 06-03-2014, 03:00 AM

While I am in theprocess of making a quilt, my mind is racing with ideas of what the next quilt is going to be. I always have a pad of paper and a pencil on my sewing table and when an idea crosses my mind, I write it down. NO, I DO NOT PHYSICALLY START ANOTHER QUILT UNTIL I AM DONE WITH THE ONE I AM WORKING ON!!!!! This way, when I am done with my quilt I am all ready and set to start the next one. I have the colors picked out and when I am done with my quilt, I get the fabrics I need for that quilt (stash upstairs and in the basement!!!!), pick out the pattern/patterns, depending on if it is a sampler or not (The sampler is basically my trademark)!

But I always finish the quilt I am working on first. When you work on only one thing at a time, you bond with it. That is the best feeling in the world. You work your little be-hind off on it and make your mistakes and fix them, only to do it again and again (three times try to fix, fourth time throw the block out and start out fresh) and it "literally" becomes a part of you. I love that feeling and most of all giving the quilt to someone and watch them enjoy it. I love the bonding part the best. Have a good day! Edie
Old 06-03-2014, 04:28 AM

Your intentions are good. I had a Campfire troop (Remember to Finish What I Begin), but here's what happens while you are working on a project.....the quilt guild has a challenge or they are quilting for charity, a baby shower invitation arrives, it's time for holiday gifts, the list goes on and on.

Sometimes a project just goes on for too long and becomes tedious. A change of pace really helps.

I hope you get to work all your projects to completion, but good luck with that!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 04:54 AM

I "usually" finish the project I am currently working on before I start the next - but there are always new ideas floating in my head to begin another project. I agree with other's comments that if I put it away, it is hard to get it out to work on it again. I do all my own machine quilting on my Janome 6600 and really enjoy that but the hardest part for me is sandwiching and basting the top, batting and back together. Small ones are not bad but the bigger ones I have to do on the floor and at 69 that gets harder and harder. It is the best feeling of accomplishment when I can complete a quilt from start to finish by myself. I love the work of our longarmers but I also like machine quilting myself and the more I do it the better it gets. I also am working on using my stash and that isn't hard to do now a days with the price of fabric. I actually have seen my stash go down a little and that is a good feeling. If you can discipline yourself to finish one UFO before starting another - you're doing great but if not don't sweat it - you need to enjoy what you are doing at the time. You are on the road to being an awesome quilter.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:57 AM

I usually finish each project, quilt or something else. However, when I run into a problem with something, I put it aside and mull it over till I come up with a solution. So I have 3 such projects at this time. Hopefully the solution will come to me and I can finish them.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:01 AM

Usually I'm a start to finish quilter, although I may plan/design and gather/purchase fabric for my next project as I'm finishing one.