Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Project Process? >

Project Process?

Project Process?

Old 06-01-2014, 07:32 PM

I used to do 1 quilt at a time, now i may have 2 in various stages but get them done, any ufos are pieces ppl iven to me that im hand piecing as it takes longer but i dont like ufos too obsessive! :-)
Old 06-01-2014, 08:05 PM

I'm struggling right now I have several projects I need to start, but I have a lap quilt and a bed runner both sandwiched and ready to quilt. I've started on the bed runner, but had a tension issue and had to unsew almost everything I had done. Got discouraged and have been avoiding my "sanctuary". I wish I could afford to send one to a LA. Not in the budget though, and now that school's out I am determined to make progress. Have to spend a couple days a week in my Library at school too this summer. Whittling down the number of items to be processed into the cataloging system. Hmm I'm playing catch up everywhere, I need to get a handle on all this!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:54 PM

I love making child size quilts, so I'm usually done piecing a quilt before I get bored with it and want to move on to another project. Right now I have about 10 quilts that are pieced and waiting to be quilted and 3 quilts just needing the binding hand-stitched.

The lighting in my loft where I sew is not great in the evenings, so I try to only use my Longarm on the weekends. When I quilt on my longarm I usually try to fit either 2 or 4 quilts onto one large backing fabric to make my time more productive. None of my quilt tops have been waiting for their turn on the longarm for more than a year. Once I have enough quilt tops that would all look good with the same backing fabric, I get them quilted. Most of my quilts are donated to Project Linus, so it doesn't matter if I have the same fabric used to back multiple quilts.

I'm hoping to get several of my quilts quilted and with binding attached to the front so that I have plenty of hand work on the binding to do next month after knee surgery. I also try to do a lot of my upstairs sewing while my husband is traveling so that I can sit and do my hand sewing while watching TV when he is home. I also like to take my quilts to do the hand sewing while we tailgate at football games. As long as I can donate at least 2-3 finished quilts each month, I'm fine with having several projects in process.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:38 AM

I have to finish whatever I start, but that doesn't stop me from planning another quilt. I might buy fabric and decide on a pattern for another project which kind of gives me incentive to finish the one I'm working on.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:57 AM

I HAVE to finish one before I start another one, but that's just me. That's how I started out with this wonderful hobby and I'm stickin' to it.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:17 AM

the only time i have UFOs is if they are block of the month projects, otherwise if i start a quilt I finish it before I start the next one.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:29 AM

I don't like UFO's laying around either. SOOOOOOOOOOO I put them in a box out of sight. I guess it is just part of being one of those type quilters. Actually the piecing is my favorite part. Therefore, the quilting gets put off.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:52 AM

I'm a hummingbird quilter. I do a little here, a little there, zip over there... That way it never gets dull and if I get frustrated I can just switch to something different without really losing my stride.

I do a lot at once, so at any given moment I might have anywhere from 2 to a dozen things in progress, but nothing sits for very long and everything gets finished eventually. Right now I probably have ....oh at least 10 quilts in progress, but the oldest (most neglected) is just now getting to be about a year old. I have a few baby things I need to make by end of summer, and also a wedding quilt due in August that I've barely started (eep), and some Christmas gifts are in that list, so that year-old project is probably going to get close to 2 years old by the time I finish it. (It's a stack & whack, those take me FOREVER.)
Old 06-02-2014, 07:34 AM

I will generally finish a top before I start a new one - just too much mess to deal with lots of different projects going on. However, I will sometimes leave a top while I think about how to quilt it, or if I have a deadline for something else. 3 is my magic number though - anything more than that and I feel compelled to start finishing.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:58 AM

Okay, I will weigh in on this one. When I started quilting (3 1/2 years ago) I stuck to one quilt then I realized that I could comfortably do 3 at a time. #1- I am doing the hand work (hand quilting or machine quilting on the current "finishing project") and the binding (usually in the car on trips on in the recliner or at the machine in where the hubby is). The #2 is in the cutting process and organization stage. And the #3- in the piecing stage at the machine. I am a retired teacher and was always use to multitasking in the classroom so I make sure there is plenty to keep me busy.