Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Purchase a pattern or make it on my own?

I use EQ7 and have since EQ4 came out. I also have quilt pro but I design a lot and love the photo part that is new in EQ7. I also have hand drawn a quilt and taken it to EQ and designed it there. There are a few free programs and cheap ones out there but I seem to always want the latest program. It is a personal choice. I love to copy patterns and make them my own. Then they trigger a new wave of inspiration as I say What If I Do This! So many Ideas So Little Time! Luann in CT
    Last edited by crafterrn1; 06-16-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    Live Love and Laugh Enough!

Blog Entries
    patterns like everything else is getting way to expensive if I can't figure it out I use a free pattern and there are many of those with the cost of everything today we have to cut where we can and so many of those patterns has
    to many rules for me that you can't make them for sale etc. so I mostly just use the internet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kjohnson0523 View Post
    I have seen several things lately that I would like to make. Most of these items have a pattern for sale for you to use. My question is, is it ok to make a similar item if I can make it on my own without purchasing the pattern?
    I wouldn't be selling the items, just for personal use but I wouldn't want to take away from the pattern designer. What is your opinion?

Thanks
    Kim
    If possible I make my own just for my self not selling or anything,and I hope it does not interfere with publisher rights.Just for personal use only.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

Blog Entries
    as long as you are not 'copying' someone elses design-then trying to sell it or claim it as your own there is nothing to worry about- we all get inspiration from things we see & many of us make our own versions- you just can not copy a designers (design) then sell (or distribute it) saying it's yours
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I make up my own designs all the time. Then I get someting that is unique. I do it the old fashion way with graph paper and a pencil. If I don't like it, I throw it away. If I do, I copy it and get out the colored pencils and color it in several different color ways. I would rather waste a sheet of paper than fabric. The graph paper gives me the measurements for cutting, too.
    Last edited by maryb119; 06-17-2012 at 05:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    Go for it.
    I know you can do it.
    J J
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Blog Entries
    My quilting is for my own personal use or to give as gifts to my family. If I can find the pattern, I'll buy the pattern. If I can't find the pattern, I'll draft my own quilt program.
    Kathyj

I use regular paper, on my swivel rotary cutting mat and use the lines on it to measure and draw my graph as big as I want it - And like the Fons show ref. above, I decide how big I want my block and draft accordingly. I do like her suggestion of doing only half the block if it is a big block or whatever (duhhh-never thought of that.) From your draft you can pretty much figure out the sizes - I also draw the crazy quilt blocks based on the same idea.

Someone asked about a free program - there is a fabulous little Free program - QuiltAssistant - http://www.cosman.nl/software_en.html (not affiliated, just a happy user) It takes a little learning curve (not bad) but if you follow the manual that comes with it, it is fabulous. And that program will give you templates, sizes or whatever when you are through drafting, approx yardages, and you can color in it. I have fun playing with it when I see a picture and want to play around with figuring it out.

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
    I am with the above poster. I try to do it from pictures but if I can't or it seems too complex, then I will buy a pattern.
    That's my feeling too. So many times you see something and it would be very easy to either duplicate or make something similar. And sometime, i do duplicate it. But if its going to take me hours and hours to draft a pattern just to prove I can do it, I just go ahead and get the pattern. I'm generally happy to buy a pattern because I know someone has worked out the details, and especially of its a small pattern company, I feel like I'm helping someone earn a living.

Blog Entries
    I have done both -bought patterns and on-line patterns. The books that I but now are Quilt History either one person's story or General quilt history. Also have found about 25 Quilt Documentation books from different states and Ireland and England.
    If any one has "State Quilt Documentation" books please email me. I would like to have one from each state.
    Last edited by quilter68; 06-17-2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: spelling
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

Yes, it is ok.
    :-)
    CAS

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    I draft my own patterns all the time based on pictures alone. I say if you can figure out on your own how to do it without a pattern there is no reason to buy the pattern.
    Ditto for sure
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Last year I designed a truly original table runner. I posted it here. People were interested and wanted the pattern. I wrote it up, did lots of drawings, took pictures of the steps, spent days on it. After receiving those requests, I mentioned that I did have the pattern for sale if others were interested in it. (Having already sold a number of copies.) I was stunned to my toes when someone responded and told me that the main element of it was a Mexican star block ( who knew? I had never seen it before, was quite tickled actually to come up with something "new", just my graph paper and I). It was not original and, basically, I should be ashamed of myself for passing it off as a new pattern when it wasn't. You know what? For a couple of days I did have my tail between my legs on this. But I knew!!! it was my design. And I will stand by it as my own forever. I liked writing the pattern and have done more since then. I use traditional blocks in my own way and have been fortunate to make some "egg" money selling them to board members who admire them. If you look at any quilt magazine you can find many examples using the same tried and true block patterns. Different sizes, different fabrics, different settings and borders. And they sell them day after day after day.

God created the original humans and we have continued to work on our versions for centuries. Are we all unique? I'll bet my bottom dollar we are. My quilts (and patterns!) are unique and original as well. Yours are too! I appreciate the opportunity to sell copies of my patterns to those who are interested. Retirement is approaching and life has not been generous so far. A few sales now and then for my imagination and hard work seems fair to me.

For those who might like to see - this is the table runner I mentioned in my last post. Have any of you seen this before?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I haven't seen it before and it's beautiful! You did a great job and regardless of whether the block existed or not, you put it together in your own unique way, which happens to be gorgeous.

I love the quilt in your avatar as well! Do you have a larger photo of it on the board?

Quote Originally Posted by cwessel47 View Post
    For those who might like to see - this is the table runner I mentioned in my last post. Have any of you seen this before?

I've never seen that combination, before. If you get right down to it, just about any block can be said to be "based" on an older block. Shame on the person, who shamed you! I bet the Mexican Star block could be said to be based on another block, as well!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

So many patterns are just a new layout or color scheme or a combination or varation of all of older patterns. So I feel drafting is fine. Sometime you can even find the blocks in the books/patterns you already own.
    Carol

I say if you can, learn to draft your own patterns. They will be your own creation because you'll probably change something anyway. You can, as others have said, save a bundle by not buying every single pattern. Our foremothers drafted their own patterns also, so I think it behoves us to learn to do that too.

I have that program. Its really good especially if you want to do what I call photo work - taking a photo and turning it into a quilt block.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marysewfun View Post
    I use regular paper, on my swivel rotary cutting mat and use the lines on it to measure and draw my graph as big as I want it - And like the Fons show ref. above, I decide how big I want my block and draft accordingly. I do like her suggestion of doing only half the block if it is a big block or whatever (duhhh-never thought of that.) From your draft you can pretty much figure out the sizes - I also draw the crazy quilt blocks based on the same idea.

Someone asked about a free program - there is a fabulous little Free program - QuiltAssistant - http://www.cosman.nl/software_en.html (not affiliated, just a happy user) It takes a little learning curve (not bad) but if you follow the manual that comes with it, it is fabulous. And that program will give you templates, sizes or whatever when you are through drafting, approx yardages, and you can color in it. I have fun playing with it when I see a picture and want to play around with figuring it out.

Marysewfun

I have used that pattern and its very cool. BTW - its also called a Dallas Star, Mexican Rose, Panama Block and Star & Cross! So go figure how an 'original' block can have 5 different names!

and that tablerunner is just GORGEOUS!!!!!!!

There are so many free patterns out there. Wish I would have thought of that when I first started quilting! I've got a library to rival the bookstore!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2