Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Purchase a pattern or make it on my own? >

Purchase a pattern or make it on my own?

Purchase a pattern or make it on my own?

Old 06-15-2012, 07:16 AM

I draft patterns from pictures. As Pat625 said, mine are usually just a bit different. When someone asks I refer them to the designer's pattern.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:17 AM

If you can identify the block and put your measurements to it and create a quilt I don't think that is an issue. Most of the blocks they are using are not copyrighted, what is copyrighted are their directions. Myself I usually (unless it is super simple) buy a pattern as I don't have the extra time and it actually works out cheaper for me. Personally I can't figure out why anyone (except maybe a true newbie) would buy a pattern for a rail fence/turning twenty/standard log cabin, etc.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 AM

You are under no obligation to purchase any pattern for anything. If you can copy a design and figure it out on your own, you are free to do so.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:00 AM

Okay as a designer here is my take on this subject. I feel if you are making a pattern that has blocks in the common domain then you can draft any pattern you desire. The written words of my pattern are copyrighted. Some big designers have copyrights or patents on some of their blocks. That is cleary stated. I have and do morph many patterns I see for my own use. But many many many patterns are in the common domain! I am not sure that someone that wrote a pattern for a Log Cabin quilt can be upset if you design your own. That pattern dates back to the mid 1800's. But if you decided to sell the pattern and copied my directions word ofr word I may be upset. But reallly just how many ways can you make a log cabin block. Really! So go forward and enjoy!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:10 AM

What quilting software do you use to design your own pattern or "mirror" another pattern. I am looking at either free or purchase.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by qwkslver View Post
qnntv.com has a free video on that, it's Mary Fons.
here is a link to the video http://www.qnntv.com/videos/1075_qui...marianne-fons/

they state that if you can look at a quilt and draft it yourself... go for it.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:23 AM

I don't use software , I just use my ruler and paper and draw them out myself. I would never sell someone else's design or give it to anyone else.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by kd7kyo View Post
What quilting software do you use to design your own pattern or "mirror" another pattern. I am looking at either free or purchase.
Pencil, paper and a calculator.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Almost every pattern out there starts with a basic design and is built on or tweaked by the designer. That's what you would be doing. To me patterns are for designs that I don't want to take the time and figure it out myself and would rather just buy the pattern and be done with it.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:52 AM

If I'm taking a class, I'll buy the pattern; otherwise I try to figure it out for myself. I'm not always successful, but I have friends at my LQS who will give me advice if I get in a bind. I am very grateful to them! There are also so many free patterns available online, I try to use them. So many of the patterns you have to purchase to make are beyond my skill level that I would not attempt them, anyway.