Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Purchasing scraps >

Purchasing scraps

Purchasing scraps

Old 12-09-2013, 03:57 AM

I do what justflyingin suggested and buy clothes to cut up. I don't buy from GW because they are too expensive so look for other thrift stores if possible. I have a thrift store nearby that has 50% and 75% off items every week so I pay $1 - $2 per item and I know the clothes I buy have been there for 5 or 6 weeks and are heading for the dumpster. A lot of the men's shirts are 100% cotton and I buy women's jumpers for all my denim. I do find handmade dresses a lot for some reason and it goes without saying the larger sizes yield more fabric. I go to another that marks down every week for 3 weeks before the clothes are pulled. Just ask what days they markdown and they will tell you, it is usually Monday and Tuesday. Yard sale clothing is usually pretty cheap too.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

watch the offers here on the board- often as we have a box of scraps ready to go it is offered for the cost of postage to get it to you- the scraps are free. one of our local quilt shops always has a large basket of scraps on the floor- from cutting kits, making shop displays, classes---along with the basket is a box of quart size ziplocks- you can have as many as you can stuff into the ziplock *& close it* for $5. check with your local to see if they might be willing to start doing something like that. but here on the forum you can often get free scraps--for postage
Old 12-09-2013, 05:16 AM

Now isn't really the time for yard and garage sales, but you can find really great deals there, lots cheaper than paying postage on free scraps, actually. If you have a quilt guild nearby you can join, often members bring in fabric and other items they no longer want and give them away to whomever wants them. I know we do in ours. You can also get a couple of yards of fabric in a large size 100% cotton woman's dress at Goodwill for about $4.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:55 AM

Lots of good quilting materials available at thrift stores, however I do not go to Goodwill. They are twice the price of all the other thrift stores in our area and no sale days here. Men's cotton shirts, ladies full skirts or dresses with lots of fabric in them can be good buys. Tell your friends you would appreciate any clothing or fabrics they don't want any more. Watch the garage sales in season. They can be a great source. If you attend a church let it be known that you are looking for good used or new fabrics for quilting. You will probably get some stuff you can't use, but sort it and use what you can. You don't have to buy $10 a yard fabric to be a terrific quilter. Check out Craig's list if you have a computer as well as Freecycle.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:53 AM

I love Whittles fabric online. Fabric is often only $5 a yard. You can get a pack of fat quarters there 10 for $12. It's a great way to build fabric. I am a a thrifter and often find fabric at thrift stores. I have a friend who buys LOTS of fabric through Craig's List.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:48 AM

I do not donate...or go in to ANY Goodwill...they will not even discount merchandise for destitute people...My husband worked for a social service agency years ago, had a family that had NOTHING
Old 12-10-2013, 07:08 AM

My gs's other grandmother used to work at Goodwill and she would periodically send him boxes of NEW toys from Goodwill. The stores in that area donated their damaged or open boxes or items they didn't sell or when they got new items in & had an overstock problem. The employees got first choice & I don't know if she paid for them or not but he got Christmas several times a year from GW. Do you all know about the web site: shopgoodwill.com it has lots of fabric & machines for sale, cheaper than ebay, & not bidding against a zillion people.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Maggiemay View Post
I don't know about prices for scraps, sorry. But check out the shirts at Goodwill- lots of nice cottons you could cut up yourself. Jeans too for rag quilts.
Besides shirts, check out SKIRTS, especially the long, summery ones which have lots of yardage and are usually cotton. I've bought several of the "tiered" skirts made in southeast Asia which have three or four coordinated fabrics, winding up with a little more than 1/4 yard of each. Great for scrappies!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:26 AM

I also have stopped giving to Goodwill and that other, large Christian based charity which runs thrift stores. Had an employee take my donations which were supposed to go on the collection truck directly in the store, am sure they went home with her. I wrote the area corporate office and received no response. I will put $1 in their Christmas kettles, but no more donations of clothing or household stuff.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:40 AM

I often wonder how much of each $1 collected (through their stores/kettles, etc.) actually GOES to helping the people who truly need the help. I know GW/Salv.Army/Savers, etc., have overhead...rent, heat, lights, salaries, insurance, etc., so how much of that $1 goes to the "poor"? Makes you stop and think...

Anita