Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Purchasing scraps >

Purchasing scraps

Purchasing scraps

Old 12-10-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
. Selvage as in the end strips. I am on little phone but when get to computer will find link where posted some here in the caverns of the Quilting Board.
I put some pics up on this thread and their are some pics from others. Mine are sort of amateurish as made by teens in house (guys) who could not walk by without putting one together. Blocks not so square but I love them. Nicer, more controlled by me don't have pics of. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...220131-11.html
Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine View Post
I volunteer at a homeless shelter that also gives away clothing and food, we never charge for anything. I don't see how Goodwill is helping anyone with the prices that they charge.
I agree that this thread has been hijacked...but I have to put my two cents in, nonetheless! My impression of the Goodwill we have here is that the retail portion subsidizes the community outreach: They offer an enormous array of job training courses at very low prices; they hire and train people who have had difficulty getting into, or staying in, the workforce; and they provide a conduit for recycling clothing that otherwise might end up dumped. I have not looked into their corporate structure (and might indeed be horrified if I did!) but the on-the-ground work I see them doing in my community satisfies me that they are helping people who otherwise might be in much worse shape. We have a few other thrift stores that appear to be entirely for profit, despite relying exclusively on donations...

And I love love love your selvage quilts, yobrosew!! Beautiful!

Alison
Old 12-12-2013, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by dorismae904 View Post
I donate cash when I can to the Salvation Army in my area. At Christmas time, they are involved in Toys for Tots. I used to belong to a group that made crocheted and quilted blankets for needy children in our area. Just found out that the woman in charge was taking the best of the blankets each month and selling them at craft shows. I still like to make charity quilts and crocheted blankets but I don't know where to give them. And for scraps, don't forget old sheets. I do starch them heavily before using and they work well.
Project Linus would love to take your charity crocheted blankets and your quilts! Do a google search to learn about it and see who to contact near you. If you have a quilt guild nearby, they may participate with Project Linus and be able to help you.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by sassysews2 View Post
My gs's other grandmother used to work at Goodwill and she would periodically send him boxes of NEW toys from Goodwill. The stores in that area donated their damaged or open boxes or items they didn't sell or when they got new items in & had an overstock problem. The employees got first choice & I don't know if she paid for them or not but he got Christmas several times a year from GW. Do you all know about the web site: shopgoodwill.com it has lots of fabric & machines for sale, cheaper than ebay, & not bidding against a zillion people.
Just be sure to check the cost of shipping and the additional fee for handling. The shipping I understand, but the handling fees are way out of line. Be sure you know what the final cost of the item will be before bidding.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:45 AM

Just keep quilting...you'll have plenty of scraps in no time.

~ Cindy
Old 12-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Ask your friends and acquaintances for clothes. A lot of people donate clothes and don't care what shape they're in. You can always cut around holes or worn areas. What clothes are in your closet that you have no intentions on wearing. Check out the remnant bins at the different stores. Garage sales are great. Especially, MWC estate sales that have plus -size. I've gotten as many as 10 shirts and blouses and cotton pants for $10.00 or less. That is a lot of fabric.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:42 AM

Default EmployeecPurchSING FROM Goodwill

I know first hand that an employee cannot purchase while on the clock,while in uniform or hold back stuff for themselves, Several women have lost their jobs here for trying to do that. They also do not get their purchases free. They have to pay. Perhaps you should do everyone a favor and talk with the manager about what you have heard goes on in your area. Good will is a good industry because they employee our neighbors and they have a job center to help people get jobs in other industries. I didn't donate to them for a while, until I asked a manager where my donations went. I think that if you rethink it, you will be more generous in donating to Goodwill.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:30 AM

Our local quilt shop has many classes, any scraps (including those selvage ends) that we don't want to take home are thrown in basket...upfor grabs for those of us there for the class and then are put in bins and availabe for purchase by weight. The shop goes through and sorts out the useable and separates into colour families. Please check with your local quilting. Shop to see if they do similar.

One of our quilters who took a work assignment up north (further north then where we are - so really north) decided to do a postage stamp quilt by hand while she was away. We all put one inch scraps of unique fabrics in a separate basket for her and the shop kept mailing them up. You never know if you support a local shop and ever need a favour they will look out for their own and try to help.

Hope you find what you need.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:20 PM

I have heard the goodwill is owned by a multimillionaire and he makes a fortune every year off the donations.