Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Purchasing scraps >

Purchasing scraps

Purchasing scraps

Old 12-10-2013, 09:45 AM

I live in a very small town but we have a Re-Sale shop here. The other day I saw a rack of clothes handing outside with a $2 sign on it. I got three men's XL flannel shirts. When I told the owner what I was doing with them she let me go through the bag headed for dumpster and I found two more men's all cotton shirts. She says I should come by every month & see what she has because she often gets damaged clothes or they're out of style & can't be sold. I think I hit a gold mine. yea for me. I agree with what's been posted too, if you let friends/relatives know you're making quilts out of unwanted clothes I'll betcha you get a lot of stuff.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:52 AM

I donate cash when I can to the Salvation Army in my area. At Christmas time, they are involved in Toys for Tots. I used to belong to a group that made crocheted and quilted blankets for needy children in our area. Just found out that the woman in charge was taking the best of the blankets each month and selling them at craft shows. I still like to make charity quilts and crocheted blankets but I don't know where to give them. And for scraps, don't forget old sheets. I do starch them heavily before using and they work well.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:04 AM

this thread seems to have been highjacked into a discussion about Goodwill - so I'm bringing it back to the original issue. And I have a question. When you say you make "selvage" quilts - do you mean you only use the woven edge of the fabric, also known as the "selvage" or are you saying "salvage" as in pieces left over, in other words, scrappy quilts. I have been saving selvages with the thought of making something out of them, and if you have been using them I was hoping for some photos to give me inspiration.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

I don't donate to Goodwill. They have high paid corp officers. I use to work for Salvation Army and every penny but the basic operating costs go to people that need it. No corp officers getting big salaries. No one is turned away at Salvation Army in need if there is one crumb left to share.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by ragquilter View Post
I do what justflyingin suggested and buy clothes to cut up. I don't buy from GW because they are too expensive so look for other thrift stores if possible. I have a thrift store nearby that has 50% and 75% off items every week so I pay $1 - $2 per item and I know the clothes I buy have been there for 5 or 6 weeks and are heading for the dumpster. A lot of the men's shirts are 100% cotton and I buy women's jumpers for all my denim. I do find handmade dresses a lot for some reason and it goes without saying the larger sizes yield more fabric. I go to another that marks down every week for 3 weeks before the clothes are pulled. Just ask what days they markdown and they will tell you, it is usually Monday and Tuesday. Yard sale clothing is usually pretty cheap too.
Ahh. Jumpers instead of pants for jean material is good suggestion.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
this thread seems to have been highjacked into a discussion about Goodwill - so I'm bringing it back to the original issue. And I have a question. When you say you make "selvage" quilts - do you mean you only use the woven edge of the fabric, also known as the "selvage" or are you saying "salvage" as in pieces left over, in other words, scrappy quilts. I have been saving selvages with the thought of making something out of them, and if you have been using them I was hoping for some photos to give me inspiration.
. Selvage as in the end strips. I am on little phone but when get to computer will find link where posted some here in the caverns of the Quilting Board.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:49 PM

Great suggestions for scraps here. I mentioned to a friend that I had been cleaning out closets and he said he needed to do the same but just couldn't get motivated and that he had a bunch of cotton shirts he needed to do something with. I jokingly said he should bring them to me and I could use the fabric in quilts. Next meeting we had, he brought me over 20 shirts. His wife was delighted to get them out of the house! I plan on making him a lapquilt from some of them.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:07 PM

My favorite quilt store stocks only 1800 reproductions. I've been on the fabric wagon since 2001.
Some times I go in just to fondle the fabric and touch bases with the owner (we both had breast cancer the same year)

This summer I got the brainy idea to ask her if I could buy her scraps from her home sewing.
Not a chance. I live in hope though. a girl can dream.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:20 PM

I would put a wanted ad on craigslist in the Arts and Crafts section. You never know what quilter out there might be cleaning out. Be sure and ask that they contact you via email with a description of what they have. Then you can screen them by calling. You can always ask to meet at a store or coffee shop.

I met the most wonderful quilter answering an ad.

I also suggest seeing if there are any quilting groups around. Sometimes they can hook you up with someone or a quilt bee that has scraps they dont want. I know several ladies who do not like using scraps. I adore scraps.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:15 PM

I volunteer at a homeless shelter that also gives away clothing and food, we never charge for anything. I don't see how Goodwill is helping anyone with the prices that they charge.