Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Purchasing scraps >

Purchasing scraps

Purchasing scraps

Old 12-08-2013, 05:10 PM

Default Purchasing scraps

Ok. I have only made quilts with selvages with some wide enough to use for paper piecing. Reason? That is what was given me and so I work my way through them. I now am getting low and am ready to move on to scraps. I really would get lost in over planning if to buy fat quarters and stuff; plus cost. My question is what is a good price to pay on ebay for scraps, from cat-free, smoke-free home? I have tried to study the bids to decide but there really is quite a range in the final sales. Per #? Or per flat rate box? I am talking about scraps 3" square up to maybe 6" square (but in all shapes not perfect squares). Not big pieces. I have been keeping my eye out at Goodwill but the staff said one of the workers buys the fabric when it comes in.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:16 PM

I don't know about prices for scraps, sorry. But check out the shirts at Goodwill- lots of nice cottons you could cut up yourself. Jeans too for rag quilts.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:41 PM

I have the opposite problem from yours - I have way too many scraps. I would love to pass some on to you for just the cost of shipping if you are interested. Just let me know what kind of scraps you are interested in, kids, solids, flowers, etc., I have it all. It would probably be into January before I could go through them as this is such a busy time of year.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Ok. I have only made quilts with selvages with some wide enough to use for paper piecing. Reason? That is what was given me and so I work my way through them. I now am getting low and am ready to move on to scraps. I really would get lost in over planning if to buy fat quarters and stuff; plus cost. My question is what is a good price to pay on ebay for scraps, from cat-free, smoke-free home? I have tried to study the bids to decide but there really is quite a range in the final sales. Per #? Or per flat rate box? I am talking about scraps 3" square up to maybe 6" square (but in all shapes not perfect squares). Not big pieces. I have been keeping my eye out at Goodwill but the staff said one of the workers buys the fabric when it comes in.
Just for fyi Goodwill employees are not allowed to buy anything on days that they work nor are they allowed to hold back product for themselves or anyone else. These are rules from their corporate offices that apply to all Goodwill stores.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltaddict View Post
I have the opposite problem from yours - I have way too many scraps. I would love to pass some on to you for just the cost of shipping if you are interested. Just let me know what kind of scraps you are interested in, kids, solids, flowers, etc., I have it all. It would probably be into January before I could go through them as this is such a busy time of year.
Really? I will message you. Only kind I would not use would be kids stuff although I have put some kids selvages in the quilts I have made; the color stood out more than the designs. I have a lot of children and have only gotten three of them quilts made. They grew up without quilts and always wanted the beds to have them on them as most of their friends had quilts. I would hate for them to have mommy issues that they were the ones without a quilt from mom! I call their quilt 'blankets' as they are more practical than art pieces but to them they are warm and wonderful. I started looking at scraps because I would like to make a block a day with all the wonderful blocks I see around here and have discovered most of the stuff I am drawn to is with scraps and/or paper piecing. I make a at least one selvage block most mornings but would like to get just a tad more creative and it is a grand way for me to start my day. This will push me to complete current selvage 'blanket' in the next month; have something to look forward to. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by ragquilter View Post
Just for fyi Goodwill employees are not allowed to buy anything on days that they work nor are they allowed to hold back product for themselves or anyone else. These are rules from their corporate offices that apply to all Goodwill stores.
Well, I hope for the worker's conscience she/he is coming in on day off to purchase and maybe getting there first because another worker calls her/him or something. I know I would feel yucky the entire time using the fabric if gotten from breaking rules of my employer.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ragquilter View Post
I would hope that most employees would be honest but I guess there are always a few that would do it.

Last edited by tapper; 12-08-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:59 PM

My daughter had a friend in school (just a couple of years ago) that her Mom worked at Goodwill and her Mom always brought bags of clothes home that she picked out of the donations before they were put out on the floor. Don't know if it is true or not, but the daughter said her Mom didn't have to pay for any of them. That is why I donate to KARM (Knoxville Area Rescue Mission) which is a local homeless ministry here.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:09 PM

Our goodwill where I live never has that 50% off Saturday like all the rest in other cities. I never see fabric there or jeans of a well know brand. It makes me wonder??? I don't donate to them any more. I give my donations to the food mission here.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
I have also heard that the workers are not allowed to buy. (But I think that often that rule isn't followed.)

So, my advice, unless you are from a very small town, and very small towns don't usually have Goodwills, find other thrift stores in your area and/or another GW (my mom calls it G & W Clothing).

Find "Fill a bag for $1" deals--and fill it with all cotton clothing/shirts/skirts/kids clothing--you will get a variety of neat scraps from that a a very reasonable outlay.