Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Putting a name on a quilt >

Putting a name on a quilt

Putting a name on a quilt

Old 07-09-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
I would quilt his name right on that quilt in a contrasting thread color. I have quilted names on quilts quite often. It isn't hard. And no one is about to pick out the quilting stitches!
Sounds perfect.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:01 AM
Pam

Originally Posted by taiboo
Thanks everyone, i am def. no good for hand doing anywork LOL, i could try the machine quilting his name, that might work. I also have a embroidery machine, i wonder if i can do it on the back fabric BEFORE it gets quilted.
Yes, just sew onto the backing and then it is quilted in and nearly impossible to remove. Professional quilters who enter lots of show do this to help deter theft of their quilts. Make sure you let your LAQ know it is there so it is not accidently too far off the edge of the quilt.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:22 AM

If this is through the front and back, I think that it would be preferable. It would be difficult to take out and not leave a mark. I don't understand the child having to leave the quilt with the foster parent. It was given to the child. I just made 6 pillowcases for the million dollar challenge and I would be upset if I found out that the foster parent kept it.
Wickin34
Old 07-09-2010, 09:14 AM

My name and the person who is fostering will NOT be on them any label..

This will simply be his name and the year it was made...for that reason specifically.

Originally Posted by raptureready
I know, we have a tendency to judge others by our own standards. If you would never think of kidnapping or hurting a child you don't think of anyone else doing it either. Sadly though, it happens. Determined bio-parents will use any means necessary to try to track down their children. Sometimes it's for welfare checks, sometimes it just a sense of entitlement or possessiveness, sometimes it's because they don't want to be denied their punching bag. I've known several foster parents that have had to, for one reason or another, even use false last names for their foster children.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 AM

Thank you. Not only will you be protecting him but yourself and his foster parents as well. Many times it would be perfectly safe to put that info out there but you just never know when the one bad time would be.

Originally Posted by taiboo
My name and the person who is fostering will NOT be on them any label..

This will simply be his name and the year it was made...for that reason specifically.

Originally Posted by raptureready
I know, we have a tendency to judge others by our own standards. If you would never think of kidnapping or hurting a child you don't think of anyone else doing it either. Sadly though, it happens. Determined bio-parents will use any means necessary to try to track down their children. Sometimes it's for welfare checks, sometimes it just a sense of entitlement or possessiveness, sometimes it's because they don't want to be denied their punching bag. I've known several foster parents that have had to, for one reason or another, even use false last names for their foster children.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

We do live in a sad world. Someone told me that when you make quilts for charity they shouldn't be too fancy because some people will sell them for drugs. I just couldn't believe it.

I do make quilts for foster kids in our area. The quilts always go with the child, but the foster care system distributes the quilts so they know the child should have it.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:11 AM

Here is how I put names on quilts!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-24590-1.htm
Scroll down a few pictures you can't miss them.

What I do is print the name (in reverse) on the computer, and then trace it onto wonder-under then iron the wonder under onto the fabric I want to use for the name. Cut the letter out, and iron them onto the quilt whereever I want them. Then I simply stitch around the letters and contenue on with the quilt. once everything is done I right over it which holds it down even more than just stitching around it! Works great and I have not had a problem with the names coming off!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:51 AM

For my college kids whose quilts I don't want to be stolen, I hand embroider their names in the borders on the quilt - left side, center or right side corner. I also put quilt by my name plus the year it was quilted. Things were frequently stolen in their dorms if they left their rooms without locking the doors but their quilts were never bothered as their names were on them large enough that no one would miss the fact that if they stole that quilt, they couldn't use it and to rip out my stitching would have left a visible imprint behind.

For the quilts I'm not concerned about being stolen, I use the embroidery alphabet on my sewing machine to make a label on a separate piece of fabric which I then fold and hand stitch in place. In this instance, if you do that, I recommend you machine stitch it in place because you don't want to risk the label coming loose. Machine stitching definitely holds longer and better than hand stitching for these things. In my case, I see my family recipients and would reattach the labels should the need arise. Hopefully his quilt will be able to travel with him where ever he goes since you are making it special for him. It would be a real shame for them to leave that quilt behind with the foster parents as the boy will need it.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:34 AM

Make a label with using your embroidery machine.
sew the label to the quilt backing before quilting.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:52 AM

LOL, i figured that out last night while playing with my embroidery machine LOL

Originally Posted by pieces
Make a label with using your embroidery machine.
sew the label to the quilt backing before quilting.