Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Q About Fairy Frost--Is it difficult to work with?  Ambitious quilt, does it melt? >

Q About Fairy Frost--Is it difficult to work with? Ambitious quilt, does it melt?

Q About Fairy Frost--Is it difficult to work with? Ambitious quilt, does it melt?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:23 AM

I've used lots of Fairy Frost and never had a problem with it. Love the color selection! Be sure to share pics of your quilt
Old 06-04-2012, 03:24 PM

Although the fabric is beautiful, I think I would use something else for such an ambitious project. It would be a shame if you put all that time and effort into a quilt and the fabric didn't hold up. jmho
Sue
Old 06-04-2012, 04:35 PM

I have used fairy frost a lot and have never had a problem sewing with it. I am surprised to hear the sheen comes off, I have not noticed it. Washing and ironing it has not been a problem -- I have it in several table runners and it seems fine through the washings that are inevitable. I love the colors and the sheen of the fabric and have a lot of the older stuff.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

I'll agree ... the sheen does wash off!

I had some of the bright blue and in the pre-wash with hot water and dryer, the finish came off ... and came off unevenly! There was still a design, but definitely, it looked abnormal and easy for others to spot.

Even with that, the finish made it difficult to press and get it to take a sharp crease on the seams.

I too am impressed with your getting talking to the sales rep so quickly!!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:33 PM

I completed a sample block (see the image on this post: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post5265736 )

I am not really happy with it. I think the fabric has such a wide weave it doesn't have a nice smooth look (in the photo you can see an almost roughness to it). Even my prewash showed that certain fabrics were going to hold their sheen longer/differently. I think it is too risky to undergo this big of an endevour with a fabric that I am not sure how it will perform and hold up. So, I think I am going to switch to using my rainbow colored batiks. I have well over 120 FQ that range the rainbow (not sure I want to cut into all of them but I will definately have enough). I believe all my batiks are Hoffman (does Hoffman make Tonga??) brand and have a medium-thin feel to them so they should be a bit easier to work with. I just have to make sure that I get all the bleeding out in my prewash.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Banned

I love FF...especially the original ones...I found that washing it and then just using light spray starch or sizing makes it easiest to work with!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:03 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
Is Patrice a member here?
yes ... she is. LOL

I wish I had every color. There are 130 in the current collection. They retire some and add others from time to time. The closest I got to my goal to own at least a small piece of every one is to ocassionally shop for sample packs. (which reminds me ... it's been a while since i did that.)

they are easy to work with and hold up well. i agree, though, that they wouldn't be ideal for patterns that require itty-bitty pieces unless it was paper-pieced.

If it's one with glitter or a heavily "painted" pattern, i usually iron from the back before assembly. just press carefully once it's assembled. I don't actually know for sure that's necessary. Just something I do out of habit.

So far, the only FF I have not been pleased with were the metallic prints on black. (Gold and Bronze or Copper, I think.) They didn't look great after washing. (keep in mind, please, that was a few years ago. For all I know they have improved the prints since then.)

I LOVE the ones with glitter. Some of it does wash off, but in a way that's toooooooo cool! It isn't enough to make a difference to the glittery fabs themselves. The very little that does wash away settles on the rest of the quilt. You have to look close to see it, but it makes light reflect off the whole quilt.

No photo can do them justice. They are beeeyond fabulous in person.

If you live within driving distance of Mary Jo's, in Gastonia, NC, make the trip. I think she carries the whole collection.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 AM

I just finished a pineapple quilt for my Granddaughter( I hope to get pictures ready to post soon.)
I love Fairy Frost I think it's one of the best on the market.
Exception I hate the glittery I don't know if they still have it in their line of FF.
Have fun.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
I completed a sample block (see the image on this post: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post5265736 )

I am not really happy with it. I think the fabric has such a wide weave it doesn't have a nice smooth look (in the photo you can see an almost roughness to it). Even my prewash showed that certain fabrics were going to hold their sheen longer/differently. I think it is too risky to undergo this big of an endevour with a fabric that I am not sure how it will perform and hold up. So, I think I am going to switch to using my rainbow colored batiks. I have well over 120 FQ that range the rainbow (not sure I want to cut into all of them but I will definately have enough). I believe all my batiks are Hoffman (does Hoffman make Tonga??) brand and have a medium-thin feel to them so they should be a bit easier to work with. I just have to make sure that I get all the bleeding out in my prewash.
If you're not having good feelings now, it's better to switch from the FF now. Otherwise you'll find yourself hating the project and with the small piecing, you might abandon it all too easily. For your batiks, treat them with Retayne .... and use Colour Catchers for quality control on the bleeding.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:47 AM

I haven't used Fairy Frost but have seen and liked it so this thread has been very interesting. But I REALLY hope you show us photos of your 1.5 in. 9 patch and then your finished masterpiece!