Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QAYG Isn't Hard! >

QAYG Isn't Hard!

QAYG Isn't Hard!

Old 10-19-2017, 01:08 PM

I'm still waiting to make a QAYG quilt. I think I should start on something smaller than a lap quilt. Maybe I should just make one for myself to keep for the first try. I need another lap quilt anyway. So glad you liked the class & found it easy. Can we see a picture of yours?
Old 10-19-2017, 02:09 PM

QAYG is a great method to add to your techniques. I think it has many applications and there are several ways of doing it. I have one (in my UFO collection right now) that is made in 3 sections and joined. The back seam is stitched first, the batting is trimmed to lay flat, and, the front seam is made by laying one side flat and covering it with the pressed in fold from the second side and stitched down by machine. When done carefully, the seam on the back looks like part of the overall pattern and the front flows into the quilting pattern. Yes, I plan to finish it by the end of the year.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:38 PM

Humbird, did I remember correctly? We're talking 35 years ago. Describe the process? I was a remedial reading/math instructor and a Girl Scout leader, so explaining how to do something isn't difficult.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
QAYG is a great method to add to your techniques. I think it has many applications and there are several ways of doing it. I have one (in my UFO collection right now) that is made in 3 sections and joined. The back seam is stitched first, the batting is trimmed to lay flat, and, the front seam is made by laying one side flat and covering it with the pressed in fold from the second side and stitched down by machine. When done carefully, the seam on the back looks like part of the overall pattern and the front flows into the quilting pattern. Yes, I plan to finish it by the end of the year.
This would be the reverse of the way I did mine. I like yours better because you can machine sew it.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

I have a book by Marti Mitchell and have tried several other methods too. The tutorial section has a few different techniques.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:02 PM

I saw a video recently where the back square was 2" larger than the front and batting squares. The back square came to the front and was folder over twice and stitched to the front. Looked really easy! I plan to give it a try!
Old 10-20-2017, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by icul8rg8r View Post
I saw a video recently where the back square was 2" larger than the front and batting squares. The back square came to the front and was folder over twice and stitched to the front. Looked really easy! I plan to give it a try!
This Is the method I used many years ago on my 10th quilt. It was easy, but I didn't do another until I joined a quilt along here for The Affairs Of The Heart. That one didn't go as well, and I abandoned that quilt after making all the blocks because I could not figure out how to put the borders on!
Old 10-20-2017, 05:09 AM

This sounds like Betty Cotton's Method. It's called "Cotton Theory Quilting" and it is patented. I have made one and it took a lot of time, but you never have to sew in the middle of the quilt. You never sew anything by hand. Even the binding is sewn down with a decorative stitch, and these quilts are always reversible. So you get two quilts from one.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:13 AM

That method is called "fun and done" I believe.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:42 AM

I am taking a QAYG class tomorrow. If there is something different taught then what is posted here, I'll come back and share. The class is being taught by Jera Brandvig who has written a book on this. Apparently she is going to teach us 3 different techniques.