Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QB- Good and Bad >

QB- Good and Bad

QB- Good and Bad

Old 07-10-2011, 03:55 AM

I trully understand where your coming from....i was all excited this week because i found my plastic quilting frame so i can hand quilt because i got frustrated with trying the machine quilting on my old Husquee whom i think has passed away.....but, i just can`t help doing more....it is such a a relaxing passtime ...takes me away.....i don`t have a fancy machine either...and i use whatever fabric and thread that is one sale, yet i just love love the process....so God bless you too....and I am sure your quilts are loved no matter what because thy are made with love!!!
Originally Posted by Joy Higdon
After joining this QB(and I love it) it has been a downer and upper for me. I have gotten a lot of inspiration and encouragement from it. But, after having quilted for many years and many, many quilts I am depressed to find that I am not much of a quilter. I always thought quilting was for the love of it not perfection. I don't have a fancy machine, I have problems with my 1/4 inch seam, I don't prewash, I use what thread I have, I use what fabric I can afford, and I am always confused with which way to press a seam. So you can see I don't do much of anything right. Sure hope Charisma can quilt the Snake River log cabin I sent to her. But I just thank God that I can enjoy quilting because I love it. I am a caregiver for my 87 yr old brother, my 76 yr old husband and my 56 year old son. It is an outlet for me. I thank God for it. Love all of you on the board. God bless
Old 07-10-2011, 03:58 AM

well said!!!!

Originally Posted by laurlync
Originally Posted by saf
After joining this QB(and I love it) it has been a downer and upper for me. I have gotten a lot of inspiration and encouragement from it. But, after having quilted for many years and many, many quilts I am depressed to find that I am not much of a quilter. I always thought quilting was for the love of it not perfection. I don't have a fancy machine, I have problems with my 1/4 inch seam, I don't prewash, I use what thread I have, I use what fabric I can afford, and I am always confused with which way to press a seam. So you can see I don't do much of anything right. Sure hope Charisma can quilt the Snake River log cabin I sent to her. But I just thank God that I can enjoy quilting because I love it. I am a caregiver for my 87 yr old brother, my 76 yr old husband and my 56 year old son. It is an outlet for me. I thank God for it. Love all of you on the board. God bless
My grandmother and her friends didn't have fancy machines, just a treadle that did a straight stitch. I know that they used the fabric that was left over from other sewing and the thread was the same as they used for sewing clothes. Templates and patterns were made from whatever card or paper they had to hand. I could go on. They made beautiful quilts with love and care. Were they perfect? Probably not. Were they quilters? They certainly were and so are you. :thumbup:
I certainly can't afford to buy all higher priced LQS fabrics. (No LQS in Texarkana anyway.) I have a few more expensive fabrics, but they were all bought on sale. Most of my fabrics come from Walmart, Hobby Lobby and Hancocks.

Another "no, no" by many on the QB that I do is use sheets for backings. They are more affordable and I don't have to piece them.

My grandmother and her sisters and friends made all the beautiful quilts I grew up with. They all hand pieced and hand quilted, but their quilts were also made with the fabrics they could afford and they used sheets for backings. My thought is...if it was good enough for them, it is good enough for me!

If others prefer and can afford the higher priced fabrics, etc., I say that is great. However, what some people here spend on supplies for just one quilt, I can make several which translates to making more people, including me, happy.

Does all this make me (or my grandmother, aunts and their friends) less of a quilter? I don't think so.

Still I love the QB. I have learned so much here and I love seeing all the beautiful quilts. They all inspire me, regardless of the prices of the fabric used or skill levels. I love the fact that so many here are so quick and willing to share what they know and to help people they have never met.

I see the QB as a good thing and, if I see a post of someone insisting that I have to use expense fabrics, I just go back to, "If it was good enough for Granny, it is good enough for me!" And I am happy!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:08 AM

Years ago when I made the 6" square quilts (whatever cotton fabric I could afford or find, poly batting - tied with yarn and either muslin or sheet for backing, my family just LOVED them. The more you washed them - the softer they became. TODAY - the "try for perfection" bug has bitten and my quilts go to a fair or quilt show and then into a pillow case and onto a closet shelf - not to be seen or touched again. Now - is that pitiful? Those are the ones I make for me I guess. I do give away gifts and donation quilts that are not in the "bug" mode, but the ones for me just sit in pillow cases waiting.........and now I must go quilt! How I enjoy this site.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:09 AM

WOW...just went and looked at photos of your quilts....wish i could quilt half as good as you!!!

Old 07-10-2011, 04:10 AM

Joy, you should be right at home here on QB. There are a variety of levels of quilters on this board, and I have always found everyone to be helpful and encouraging.

I agree, quilting is my thing, it is my only outlet from the stresses of my job and it is my alone time thing. I do what I want with what I want, sometimes I like nicer fabric and even though I have a nice sewing machine, to tell you the truth I would love to sew on an old featherweight (if I had one).

You have to do what makes you content. I love looking at what others have done, I find it amazing, but I also love looking at the quilts I have made.

You are one of us, you are taking your own route through quilting and I think you end up the same as everyone else, a happier person inside because you get to do what you like: quilt, and you do it your way. You are doing what you love to do, and that means alot of love goes into each item.

So keep quilting it is so good for us and the ones we love.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:19 AM

Well, I have to add my 2 cents worth to this subject. I agree with everyone else about comparing your quilting to the others on here. That is not the object of this board (at least in my humble opinion). The object is to find friends in each other that we can't find in our everyday close to us life. I have been so lucky as to find a friend on the board who lives about 45 minutes from me that loves to come to my "sandbox" to play. We go shopping together too. She and I are so alike in our quilting ways but different in as many other ways. She hand quilts, I machine quilt (not so good). We have much the same tastes in fabric. But the most important thing is we have fun together; can laugh about our mistakes and just enjoy the whole process of quilting without judging. This is an outlet for our inner creativity. We are artists and have to project that to others. Artists don't judge each others style, they revel in it. I have many thousands of dollars in sewing machines, embroidery machines, long arm quilting machine, and am still a mediocre quilter. But I love doing it and that is all that matters. So just keep quilting and showing us your work.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by mizkyp
Joy, you are a quilter. Fancy machines, 1/4 inch seams, and fabric dont make the quilt. It's the love that goes into the quilt that matters.
Happy quilting,
Margie
ditto that. The love of quilting has made you a quilter.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by mizkyp
Joy, you are a quilter. Fancy machines, 1/4 inch seams, and fabric dont make the quilt. It's the love that goes into the quilt that matters.
Happy quilting,
Margie
I agree with this comment.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:26 AM

Honey, look at your avatar... gorgeous. You just need a little hug and some encouragement. I sew the same way you do. My quilts are not perfect, they never will be but every time I give one away and I see the smiles on their faces..... that does it for me!!! Quilt away girl. You need the therapy as you are a serious caregiver and you DO need release time. HUGS
Old 07-10-2011, 04:27 AM

perfection no one is perfect the only one that is perfect should be in our hearts he gave us all talents and quilting wheater show quality or just useful he does not judge