Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quandary over the way it's coming together...

Quote Originally Posted by susiequilt View Post
    I agree with the black sashing. That just might be the best solution.
    I made a black and white for my daughter and the black sashing really accentuated the patterns used in the Disappearing nine-patch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DebLuvsQuiltng View Post
    I made a black and white for my daughter and the black sashing really accentuated the patterns used in the Disappearing nine-patch.
    The black sashing really gave the blocks some definition - otherwise everything would have mushed together

Blog Entries
    Sounds like it will do great with black quilting to calm down the white. The black threads will show up the black fabrics. And calm everything and everyone.

Blog Entries
    I was also going to suggest a small pop of some kind of color that you could work in somewhere, maybe cornerstones of your sashing? Teal blue, or dark orange, or acid green maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
    My son asked for a black and white quilt - which I eagerly looked forward to. Knew which pattern I was going to use and carefully went and selected 20 different black and white fabrics. I've got my blocks made and up on my design wall and now... I'm just not feeling it. It's got entirely too much white in it - it went from a black and white to a white and black.
    And now I'm not even loving the pattern anymore either which is weird because I loved making the blocks.

I'm at work so I don't have a picture to post.

My quandary is whether
    1) to try to salvage the blocks, by replacing some of the white with more black.
    2) finish it like it is and give him first choice at it
    3) finish it and give it to a charity (it is a queen size, I guess I could make 2 cuddle quilts since the blocks are not sewn together yet)

I'm not the type to set it aside and come back to it later thinking maybe I'll feel different about it.

I'm sure that others may've experienced the same thing.
    Thanks in advance for any tidbits of wisdom you can share with me.

(I actually have named it already, "When life gives you lemons...")
    Without seeing the pattern, would black sashing between the blocks help reduce the too-much-white feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
    I'm at work and don't have any pics on my phone or work PC...
    The people who have seen it think it's beautiful.
    I don't think it's the "look" that others see - I think it's what I see vs what's in my mind's eye.
    That's why I'm thinking others have been there -
    I certainly have been there! The red and white sampler quilt I made (still working on borders) comes under this very heading. Not quite what I envisioned when I started. Not bad, just not the oomph! I wanted and expected.

If black sashing doesn't solve your problem, how about some plain black blocks mixed in?
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

add a little bit of red to the quilt and it should help pop the black.

I had a vision in my head of a black and white strip quilt..uneven strips so kind of wonky. It didn'y play out aswell as it did in my head. I added just a few narrow random strips of lime, turq and orange. It looks great now. Just a teeny bit of color goes a long way.

I agree with susiequilt. I've just finished a queen size quilt. Loved the blocks, loved piecing them but hated the quilt when it was finished. It was a sampler and it just didn't come together as I had pictured it. My DD thought it was very pretty, my son loved it. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. I guess it just didn't meet the picture I had in mind when I started. Oh, well..................

What if you did black sashing between the blocks to rebalance the black-to-white ratio?
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

If after assembling you decide it's still too white, quilt it with black thread. That will tone down the whiteness for you!
    Ellie
    Quilter's Nook Studio
    www.quiltersnook.net

Blog Entries
    First of all, what are you doing on the QB when you are at work! HA! You need to be at home with your sick quilt. I'm sure it will recover in time. Don't give up yet. Lots of suggestions here to try. Post pics when you get a chance and all the QB doctors will help it to be the quilt it is meant to be!

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    if others love what you have done maybe you are just tired of the black & white- i think many of us have been where you are- finish it up- when it's done you may again love it- if you think it needs more black - i would not replace/redo the white/black blocks- i think adding a solid black for sashing/frames may be the answer- or a black/white border around it. your son is probably going to love it even if you don't.
    finish it up!
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

You may need to make additional blocks to get the look you want. Hard to comment without a picture.

I just finished a black and white top and it's definitely NOT what I had in mind when I started. I think I'm going to quilt it in red or lime green and see what that does. Some tween will love it.

Blog Entries
    once it's quilted you will love it. I have a quilt I hated but once it was quilted I do love it. It's Black,White and Red.
    good luck

Update: A couple of nights after I originally posted this, I was starching and pressing my blocks (again) and stacking them in 4 stacks (a little OCD kicked in there) without realizing what I'd done, a simple shifting of how they lined up with each other blew me away! Something so simple as 'rotate' and wallah, it's a great change and happy as can be. I even made a few more to have enough since I changed the original layout. Now to get it all sewn together, borders on and quilted! WOOP WOOP !!!
    It may be a few more weeks before I post pics but wow I'm so happy with everything and how much better it looks with it's new layout!
    Thanks everyone for your awesome help and comments.

Blog Entries
    I agree that black sashing could make all the difference in the world. Also, keep in mind that if black and white are not your favorite colors, then it may not look appealing to you at this stage. I've made a few quilts that simply weren't my color choices and I wasn't fond of them most of the time. Good luck and I'm sure whatever you make, your son will appreciate it and you.
    Go forth and sew!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2