Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Queen size pattern to Full size

[quote=MTS]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mousie
    If all else fails, find a bunch of 6th graders. They'll be able to help. ;-)

Mousie ... another hint ... remember to keep the differences between finished and unfinished blocks! So a 6-1/2" cut makes a 6" finished. When working with a picture and doing your calculations, start with the finished and be sure to add the 1/4" seam allowances (for all seams and all sides!). Likewise for the HSTs or other subcuts, remember the seams allowances.

And now ... I'll pass the Mousie some cheese to help her brain-power-absorption!!! :)

I bought long ago the book: [u]The Quilter's Pocket Reference: an Easy guide to Yardage and More[/] by Peggy Scholley. It has excellent reduction/enlargement charts. I know they are sold online used or new. Most LQS's have these. This is one of my Bibles for Quilting. I keep my other notes tucked in mine for future use.

There are plenty of net based online conversion charts available to either decrease or increase size. Give it a browse. You can also buy those round guides that many LQS's sell that help you with resizing. Sorry, can't remember what they are called.

ali

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    So I can take a six inch block to a copier machine and reduce and then multiply the finished size to make sure that when multiplied it will come out the size I want?
    Well, you know, you gotta think about this and that. Maybe.

It really depends on what kind of block it is.

In this case, we're dealing with a HST block. Easy. There are a gazillion ways to make HST blocks. As I wrote in my first post on this thread, I prefer the "start with oversize squares, make HST, and trim down to unfinished size" method.

So I would take the finished size, add 1.25+ inches and make the HST, then trim. Of course, depending on your color plan, you have to first figure out how many of each color combo you need.

So there's really nothing to reduce on a copier in this case.

If you're not mathematically inclined, or even if you are, I wouldn't reduce a block into unmeasurable pieces - those that can't easily be cut with a ruler. Unless you intend to do the whole thing with templates. Shoot me, please, if I ever say I'm going to do that. ;-) (Could do it with PP, but that's a whole other issue.)

For instance, if you have a 9" nine-patch block, and decide you want to work with 7" blocks instead (because you want 70" across your quilt), that's just going to create a whole bunch of unhappiness. However, making the blocks 7.5" instead, one less block, and adjusting the border widths would be a much happier and satisfying experience.

Still, I always prefer to work out the math rather than reducing it on a machine.

You just always have to figure out the grid of the block and the quilt. As in this quilt, it was easy to count across to see there were the equivalent of 16 units - 96"/16 blocks = 6" blocks.

It's really easy math - regardless of all the "I don't have a masters in theoretical mathematics so I can't figure this out" doomsayers.

you sure take the sting out of it!
    are you a math teacher by any chance? :D

[quote=QuiltE]

Mousie ... another hint ... remember to keep the differences between finished and unfinished blocks! So a 6-1/2" cut makes a 6" finished. When working with a picture and doing your calculations, start with the finished and be sure to add the 1/4" seam allowances (for all seams and all sides!). Likewise for the HSTs or other subcuts, remember the seams allowances.

And now ... I'll pass the Mousie some cheese to help her brain-power-absorption!!! :)
    oh, brain-power absorption...yes!
    I guess that means you'll be passing me a whole plateful! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by AliKat
    I bought long ago the book: [u]The Quilter's Pocket Reference: an Easy guide to Yardage and More[/] by Peggy Scholley. It has excellent reduction/enlargement charts. I know they are sold online used or new. Most LQS's have these. This is one of my Bibles for Quilting. I keep my other notes tucked in mine for future use.

There are plenty of net based online conversion charts available to either decrease or increase size. Give it a browse. You can also buy those round guides that many LQS's sell that help you with resizing. Sorry, can't remember what they are called.

ali
    oh, what a great idea. thanks! :thumbup:

[quote=Mousie]
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE

oh, brain-power absorption...yes!
    I guess that means you'll be passing me a whole plateful! :wink:
    ^^^^passes another round of cheese for Mousie and MTS and their over-worked brains!!!^^^^
    Always glad to help keep the Moo in business, and the Mousie-kins happy!!!!
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

:XD: :XD: :XD:

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Very pretty....

Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I would just leave off or make the outer border smaller.
    :thumbup:

Uuuuuhhh you got one of those too!

Quote Originally Posted by shnnn
    And also -- who is sharing the bed! I like to have huge blankets so that by morning I may have a corner left after hubby has wrapped himself up like a burrito!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2