Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questing about pressing a quilt >

Questing about pressing a quilt

Questing about pressing a quilt

Old 11-18-2014, 07:17 PM

How do you wash them? In your washing machine??? Then put it in the dryer for a bit??
Old 11-18-2014, 09:35 PM

I wash my quilts before gifting and let them dry flat, once dry, I use a steam iron to gently glance over the top of the quilt, barely touch it so that it only really gets a light steaming. This takes out all the major 'washing wrinkles' but doesn't leave the quilt looking flat and compressed. I have also made up a washing/care label on my computer which I just print onto card and attach to the quilt. I like the results.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:46 AM

Unless it is a lap sized quilt, I take my quilts to a laundromat and wash in the jumbo washer with a color catcher. I then toss in a large dryer on gentle for a few minutes to get any bad wrinkles out. I then dry it at home flat on a sheet on the floor. I inspect it afterwards for any broken threads, problem areas and repair by hand if anything crops up.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Vistacruise. Let him/her know that it is new and that it is supposed to look like this.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

I would think if you've pressed while piecing you wouldn't need to press after quilting and washing. I agree with others, include a note that it has been pre-washed.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:55 AM

I thought the same thing when gifting or donating a quilt as I always prewash and dry on delicate in the machine. I too include a note that it has been prewashed Along with washing instructions.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:53 PM

I don't prewash because some of the fabrics will fade even if just a bit & I don't want my quilt to look like it's been used already, I will put a note in them when I finally finish & send them out with all the instructions on how to wash & dry and how they will look after the receiver has added their part of the quilting process of the 1st of many washings. At least this is how I hope it all happens *wink*
Jeri
Old 11-21-2014, 02:44 AM

i also wash my quilts before giving them. I hand quilt and that quilt has been on my frame for 8-10 months - all those months of dust, dirt, cat hair floating around, not to mention,it's been handled by me for all those months. And it does allow me to see how it will be after washing. I give it the once over to make sure no seams have come apart(but any of those have usually been caught during the quilting process)
Old 11-21-2014, 11:46 AM

Default Washing a quilt before gifting

I have begun to put washing instructions on back of all my quilts just like a label. Since I own an embroidery machine, both "labels" are on the backing before it gets quilted. Judi
Old 11-21-2014, 02:52 PM

I always prewash my quilt fabrics and then wash the completed quilt. It takes time to complete a quilt and dust, pet hair, my hair, and my hands (which always seem to sweat 3/4 through a seam) will make the quilt dirty without trying. So I wash it before it goes anywhere. I wash in the machine with regular laundry detergent, on the gentle cold cycle. Then I throw it in the dryer on NO HEAT until just damp. I then finish drying it flat and smooth it out (squaring it a bit with my hands) and let it finish drying (up to two days). It is not overly puckered and a bit softer after this treatment. And I do include washing instructions when I gift a quilt.