Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about handquilting in a hoop >

question about handquilting in a hoop

question about handquilting in a hoop

Old 07-27-2013, 05:34 AM

Still in the process of learning to hand-quilt.
When I first started out, I too was using a hoop. And like you it was a constant struggle with the quilt all jumbled. Such a struggle that I considered not hand-quilting. Then one of my quilting friends said.. if it's a struggle, try it without the hoop. Can't say it's still not a struggle, but for some reason it's easier. I meet once a week with a hand-quilting group and we lay the quilts up on tables, so it's easier. At home, I just hold the part I'm working on in my lap and let the rest of it fall to the floor. **Disclaimer: A/C is cranked up AND I'm under a ceiling fan.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:35 AM

Yes, that is what it is like to hand quilt a large quilt in a hoop. I often tell about the hoop I bought... and will here, too, because it made the twisting and turning so much more manageable... but I really do not get anything from this but the satisfaction of telling you about something that made my quilting MUCH more enjoyable... I bought a lovely laptop hoop and the floor frame for it from Harry Barnett. Look him up at laptophoops.com He was very accommodating and will help you know which product you should buy. Hope this helps...
I also used the twisting and turning to get up and stretch... have fun!!
Old 07-27-2013, 06:22 AM

I too end up with the quilt in a twist as I quilt from right to left-- I have found that I quilt in more comfort using an large oval rather than a round hoop as I can get my arms around it better and turn it-- I have seen a hoop that has a turnable base, either in a lap or a floor model, that looks interesting but quite pricey -- I usually handquilt sitting in a wingback chair with my quilt lying across a footstool and quilt away while I watch tv -- solution??
Old 07-27-2013, 06:32 AM

You can't rush perfection. Like Jan say's take breaks, stretches, etc. I use a Grace frame and my thumb when going north or west to east. You will figure something out. What's important is to relax and enjoy it.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:36 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Jackietellijohn60 View Post
Jan, I'm relatively new to this board AND quilting, but always read your posts because you seem so knowledgeable and experienced. Do you hand quilt many of your creations?
Jackie,
Thank you for your kind words!

I do hand quilt, though fewer projects than I'd like to because I have some nerve damage in both hands. With this I can barely feel the needle in my fingers, so I no longer use a thimble (I know, gasp!). I use my nail to push the needle and there fore rarely take more than one stitch at a time. And, believe it or not, I have only pushed that needle under the nail a couple of times in many years of handquilting.

I use a larger needle -- so I can be more aware of it -- and often like to use a larger thread of contrasting color so that my larger stitches show up well; I feel they add to the design.

Threads I use might be Sulky brand 12 wt. cotton (pretty blendables), perle cotton #8 (in the little balls), Sashiko thread (Sashiko is a Japanese style of stitching), leftover candlewicking thread (which is now hard to find but is very much like candlewicking thread) and even #10 crochet thread. I love the #10 crochet thread because it can be found at Walmart, and other easy places, in those BIG balls which are easier to keep up with while quilting!

The photos below show close-ups of one of my "big stitch" quilts. I usually take 5-6 stitches to the inch with these threads, rather than the regular handquilting's 8-12 stitches per inch with regular or waxed hand quilting thread.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails floral-pinwheel-big-stitch.jpg   floral-pinwheel-big-stitch-closeup.jpg   bigstitch-quilting-closeup-1.jpg  
Old 07-27-2013, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

I used to handquilt until I got my LA. I am a very unorthadox quilter in that I don't use a thimble and I push the needle with the nail of my index finger or middle finger when quilting toward me. Like Jan the needle has only slipped and jabbed me under the nail a few times. But what happens is I end up drilling a hole in my nail. So then I found an open end thimble but I can't leave it on. I start my thread then slip it on and take 7 to 9 stitches, slip it off then pull the thread through. I taught myself to quilt away from myself by learning to use my thumbnail to push the needle. Bought an open thimble for my thumb too and go through the same procedure. So I have the advantage that I can quilt both toward and away from myself and at an angle. I can't quilt side to side when handquilting. I found to twist the hoop counterclockwise then the next turn twist it clockwise. This helped avoid the tangled mess.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:48 AM

I quilted two quilts in a hoop, though they were both smaller than yours. I found that sitting at a table with the hoop on the table and the quilt spread around it worked best for me. Still, there is lots of turning and twisting. I was doing STID, though, nothing fancy. I'm a terrible handquilter, actually, have never mastered those beautiful straight stitches I see in others' work, but I liked doing it.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:56 AM

I mostly hand quilt, very little machine quilting is done at my house, and I quilt mainly queen to king size quilts in my lap in a 14 inch hoop, the twisting and turning is just part of the love that goes into my quilts. I enjoy every minute of it. That way, I get to snuggle (so to say) in each quilt I make. Most of my quilts go to family, that way they know they are all quilted with love. Have a good day everyone.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:23 AM

Jan, your quilting is so pretty! thanks for showing us!!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:45 AM

Thank you all for your responses! I'm keeping at it, and it's becoming a little less awkward I wish I could quilt in different directions and with my thumb...maybe in time! Thanks all!