Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about an idea >

Question about an idea

Question about an idea

Old 05-22-2020, 05:04 AM

Default Question about an idea

So, I have a thought of a quilt pattern I would like to try and if I could find a pattern I would like to use it but I don't know if anyone has ever done one like this. So basically it will be a Dresden plate with multiple layers of petals. I've looked at dahlia quilt patterns and that's not quite right. So here's some dimensions: the center circle is going to be 24 inches across and the petals will all be 6 inches long with 6 rows of petals. There will not be a background as the entire quilt top will be 96 inches across and be a circle. I've thought of 2 ways to do this quilt. The first way is that each row will have the same amount of petals but the petals will get bigger with each row. The second way was to keep the petals all the same size but to had more petals to each row. Each way has problems that will have to be overcome. Any thoughts?
Old 05-22-2020, 05:25 AM

I'll have to look a bit for it, but there are many fun "dimensional" quilts, and I have a book from the 70s that has similar concepts there were a lot of "folded" designs. Or what passed for a book back then, basically a specialty magazine sort of thing. That would be the key search term I think for you, "dimensional", 3D might help. Dahlia techniques go back even earlier, starting around the 30s.

I'm a big believer in going for it, but making a few tests from scraps first before committing myself. I think I'd look at increasing the petal size around each ring myself, and I'd be looking maybe more at overlap so probably would piece in dimensional Prairie Points for the petal tips or something like that.

But the fun thing is it is your quilt and your vision.

edit: sometimes I use origami techniques, this is dealing with paper but might give you some further concepts to consider!
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/r...s/dahlia_fold/
Old 05-22-2020, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Are you talking about piecing the whole thing or piecing the plates and then appliquéing them on top of each other as you go bigger?
Old 05-22-2020, 11:04 AM

If you google "triple dresden plate quilts" you might get some ideas there.
Can make it bigger or with more layers?
Old 05-22-2020, 11:15 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

This pattern goes three circles out and is the closest thing I could find. Maybe it will give you at least a starting point.
http://erinunderwoodquilts.com/store.php?cat=3
Old 05-24-2020, 03:36 AM

Thank you for all of the suggestions. This does give me a good starting point.