Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question about solid background fabrics for blocks? >

A question about solid background fabrics for blocks?

A question about solid background fabrics for blocks?

Old 05-02-2010, 01:29 AM

Your choice!! But there is no wrong answer. Each choice will give you a different quilt.

(this is why we all have lists of quilts we all want to make - right girls (and boys!!)?)
Old 05-02-2010, 04:39 AM
Banned

Make a block of each and see how you would like it and then do what you like. not someone else's opinion. Solids are OK to use for background. Some want a more muted look. but do what you would like and enjoy in YOUR quilt
Old 05-02-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by mosaicthinking
Hi Gal

I love the Ohio star - there's something so cheerful about stars I think.

I think both options you are considering will work fine. You can even do a bit of both, if you want, and use a plain fabric and a small print of the same tone in alternating blocks. I'm doing that in the tumbling spools scrap quilt I'm making at the moment and it breaks up the background just a little.

For another alternative I did an Ohio star with a patterned fabric in the corners. There's a picture on my blog here http://quiltthinking.wordpress.com/tag/ohio-star/

If you want to experiment, make up a few blocks and post pictures here and we can all tell you what we think. I'm sure we'll all have different points of view and then the ball will be back in your court to make the decision :-)

Good luck!
I love that quilt...and the idea of switching between plain & printed for the backgrounds looks AWESOME!!!

I think you should do what your heart tells you to do. It will be beautiful either way.

Mish :0)
Old 05-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Gal

The Random Ohio, is exactly what I was imagining, thanks so much it is great to see how it would look. I love that all the blocks can be made from different fabrics which suits my limited scrappy stash!! Thanks again to everyone!

Gal
Old 05-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Google Goddess

have fun
Old 05-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

I agree with the other comments. There is no wrong way. Either way you are a winner. Remember you are the judge.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:30 AM

I think solids can be fine in a quilt made for a room with modern decor. Fussy prints don't seem appropriate. I'm looking at a pattern with a solid white background with multi-colored small squares and half-squares scattered to give the look of confetti or little stars on the white background. All solid fabrics.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:30 AM

I think solids can be fine in a quilt made for a room with modern decor. Fussy prints don't seem appropriate. I'm looking at a pattern with a solid white background with multi-colored small squares and half-squares scattered to give the look of confetti or little stars on the white background. All solid fabrics.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:18 AM

Why don't you lay out the star block pieces on top of both the background fabrics and 'preview' them to see which you find more appropriate? My motto is, it's YOUR quilt, do what YOU like... even if it's wrong! LOL!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:19 AM

I've used plain muslin (to showcase applique blocks) or to use as background in blocks. But, I prefer a good solid cotton or tone-on-tone print. They're great to use for showcasing quilting.