Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question about solid background fabrics for blocks? >

A question about solid background fabrics for blocks?

A question about solid background fabrics for blocks?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 AM

Personally I prefer to use a mottled or tone on tone (think Moda Marbles/Michael Miller Crystal/etc. for the background in blocks. Solid solids tend to read a bit "flat" for my taste. <G>
But it is your quilt, you can use whatever you like for the background.

If you can get a few different backgrounds that would be options, check several different of your scrappy fabrics on each background. Take a digital picture of each. Check it on your computer screen. Also check a bit later to see if you have changed your mind.

Remember that you will be using quite a bit of background, you don't want to get bored by it. <G>

Pati, in Phx
Old 05-03-2010, 09:14 AM

I love solids and I hope to someday make an all solid Amish type quilt.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:53 PM

I like to use solids to set off my pattern. I had a lady tell me that using solids were too old fashioned.
I tried my darnnest to try to put a poinsettia block together recently using some prints with the main color. Did not like it at all. I went back to the red solid and muslin.

I think a lot depends upon your eye for color matching also. I am not good at this at all. But can put fabrics together using the solids.

Bottom line use fabrics you like.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:46 PM

Just make sure that the color of your background fabric fits the colors you use in your stars. Like using autumn colors in your stars and white background - looks much better with cream or tan as a background. Personal choice would dictate whether you choose a solid material or one that "reads" like a solid but isn't. I rarely use a solid color, preferring marbles for the interest the slight variations in color adds to a quilt.

Just have fun! The only person you really have to please is yourself!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:46 AM

All I can say is that I did a scrap quilt this weekend at retreat. I used a very pale beige floral print thinking it would add interest. WRONG!!! The blocks are so busy with no place for your eye to rest...I really hate it and I'll probably never put them together...:-( A LOT of work for an ugly quilt!
Old 05-04-2010, 04:51 PM

I'm no "expert" but I think solids are more difficult to work with than those with some texture. But for those that can pull it off they can look fantastic, I think the value of the color is the key to success.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

I say use what you like, I have always had a eye for color, and if a solid fits. use it, things can look to busy some times. God bless. Penny