Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question about solid background fabrics for blocks? >

A question about solid background fabrics for blocks?

A question about solid background fabrics for blocks?

Old 05-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Gal

I have enough scrap fabrics now to start making my blocks, I am making an Ohio star pattern. My question is this, when using a plain background to show off the stars, can I use a solid fabric eg. Homespun or a Seeded Calico or should I use a fabric which has a very small print or pattern on it?
I have only one lady friend living near me who quilts and when I asked her about this she said never put a plain fabric for the back ground, because this is too plain and boring. I can see her point but I think this might be just her own preference. I rather like the idea of a plain background fabric to show off each of the different fabrics in the blocks. I am thinking a cream background so that my darker stars will pop out.
I am using scraps for the stars but would like to use only one fabric for all of the background area.
Would love to hear please, what everyone else does/has done?

Many thanks
Gal
Old 05-01-2010, 01:48 AM

Hi Gal
It is personal preference...I personally never use homespun (solid/plains) and don't even own any! LOL

It depends what look you like - to me a solid background looks much more antiquey/old.

I like tone on tones - (eg small print!)

My advice - if you like it go with it, try your fabric against some solids and some not and go with what you like!
Hope this helps
Kylie
Old 05-01-2010, 02:00 AM

Hi Gal

I love the Ohio star - there's something so cheerful about stars I think.

I think both options you are considering will work fine. You can even do a bit of both, if you want, and use a plain fabric and a small print of the same tone in alternating blocks. I'm doing that in the tumbling spools scrap quilt I'm making at the moment and it breaks up the background just a little.

For another alternative I did an Ohio star with a patterned fabric in the corners. There's a picture on my blog here http://quiltthinking.wordpress.com/tag/ohio-star/

If you want to experiment, make up a few blocks and post pictures here and we can all tell you what we think. I'm sure we'll all have different points of view and then the ball will be back in your court to make the decision :-)

Good luck!
Old 05-01-2010, 02:22 AM
Power Poster

there really are no quilt police, and you can use anything you want...if you like it use it, it's your quilt...if you make a practice block and decide you don't like it, then at least you've given it a try...if you make a practice block and love it...well, there you go...
i love working with homespuns, flannels, solids, prints...there is so much variety and a solid does not mean boring...if you don't believe me look at some Amish quilts...they are very bold and dramatic with great sparkle...and made with solids, not prints.
make the quilt your quilt and enjoy the process...
but when in doubt...make a practice block and see.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:22 AM
Power Poster

I have made a couple of Ohio Star quilts. I used plain unbleached muslin in one of them, the stars were in different blues. and it looked very old fashioned. the other was done in reds, and I used a white on white background. The choice is up to you. Just decide what look you want. and go for it. Will be waiting for pictures! :-D
Old 05-01-2010, 03:15 AM

Look on the internet at different star quilts and see what kind of background you like when you see them all put together.
Carol B
Old 05-01-2010, 03:18 AM

I never use a solid unless it is black. There are so many micro print solids out there that it would add another point of interest to your quilt to use one. If you are going to do very heavy quilting and that will be a focal of your quilt, then a solid may compliment the quilting.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:34 AM

It really is personal preference. I use solid fabric to set off whatever design is in the center of the block-and they have used some really bright prints for the center, just me tho. I have made a few things for myself, in my bedroom star wall hanging runner for the dresser and two table toppers all in solid colors-more amish looking and that was my goal.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

Hi Gal,
I like solids if you are going to hand quilt b/c they really show off the quilting stitches.
I also think it makes the stars pop.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:22 AM

I tend to like simpler things and have to have places for my eyes to "rest" on a quilt or my immediate reaction to it is negative. I don't use a lot of solids but I do use things that look like solids from more than a few feet away. I use solids when and where I want to. It's my quilt and it's going to suit me. If you think you'll like the solid background, do it and don't look back.