Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about your sewing rooms

Maybe sew in the basement room for a week and see how it "feels". Any space can be cozied up. I sew on an over sized card table in our guest bedroom - do all my cutting on my large 'bar' style kitchen counter top.

Spend a little time in the basement doing some kind of hand project or just move the sewing machine and do some sewing to see if you like it before you spend time or money changing it. Some people get very depressed in places without very much natural light. You may discover you don't like sewing in the basement for any number of reasons.

Blog Entries
    I may be a bit late on this post but here it goes..........I bought my grand sons a foam flouring for their basement play area. They inter lock and keep your feet warm. You can get them in bright colors or black most home stores have them....they can be picked up cleaned or moved with no problem.........

I also just moved, into a ranch My sewing room is in basement. I have 3-5 ft bookshelves (one is for g kids crafts and books)
    4-6ft cabinets for fabric folded onto acid free boards
    2 metal shelving racks. One I have several small clear totes for color co-ordinated scaps for applique and fq's IE blacks and browns yellows & gold, reds to pinks, blues to purples and so on. Another tote for tims lace bias tape zippers other mis. things
    Other shelving is yarn
    PC desk with wall shelves above.
    DH made me a revolving pegboard 6' tall. Holds my threads, stabilizers, rulers, and asst notions
    3 sewing areas cutting area. Make light curtains for windows added extra ceiling lights loads of electric. Put in 2 ceiling outlets Placed over cutting area, and ironing area.
    When I get it cleaned up and finished I will post pictures.
    dawn227

Quote Originally Posted by greyhoundmom View Post
    Might have to address the floor: carpet or something else?? Any suggestions? I was kind of thinking something like Pergo....
    My quilt cave is in the basement, and I love it! I had a friend install "vinyl resilient flooring" ("Allure," at Home Depot), and it's even better than I expected. It is a "floating floor," so you don't have to worry about the underlayer: also waterproof, with lots of different wood and tile finishes. The wood grain is very realistic, it's easy to sweep, easy to install (but it takes some strength to cut the planks): my friend Jay did the entire basement in less than a day. I think I could have done it, but it would have taken me much longer. Relatively cheap, also.

Check it out: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

Jory
    Last edited by Jory; 01-28-2012 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieT View Post
    we bought a home with an unfinished basement and DH built me a sewing room. I have a large window which is great, and now that the rest of the basement has been finished, there's a fridge in the Billiards Room and a bathroom, so I never really need to go upstairs. He even got a thing for our doorbell, so I can hear it now downstairs. I live in Minnesota, so it does get cold on my feet sometimes, but I keep a small space heater in my room, because I don't like to wear shoes when I sew (or in the house at all). Keeps my tootsies toasty warm. I also have a nice large island style cutting table with tons of storage and great cabinets I got off Craigslist for a steal. Love my space!! Have fun with yours!
    OMGoodness Jeannie this is exactly my set-up....the only thing different is that I don't have the island but everything else, large window~doorbell alert~space heater for extra cold days~barefoot~tons of storage units~ is almost an identical mirror a to mine!

DH had builders create my sewing room as our home was being built....the only thing is, I thought it was plenty large enough five years ago...NOW it's to small :0)

Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Lighting is so important, ask your local big box electrical department about natural lighting bulbs. Some light bulbs including florescent bulbs distort true colors. You need to ask for the GE Full Spectrum Reveal light bulbs. They come in frosted and clear.

My husband works PT in the electrical dept @ Home Depot (isn't that where all retired guys go to work when they spend to much time evaluating their wives fabric stashes?) When these light bulbs hit the market he replaced all the lighting in the sewing room and it was AMAZING the difference those bulbs made, at least for me!
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Blog Entries
    I have my industrial serger in my basement and have recently started cutting fabric there. It's not as cheerful as the upstairs in my house, but I don't have the hassle of cleaning up every time I am interrupted (which seems to happen often) and can pick up where I left off when I get back. My washer and dryer are down there as well and since I bought an Accuquilt, I have never been so caught up on laundry. Our basement is damp and cold, but we have a pellet stove down there that my husband starts early in the morning or sometimes we leave it on all night so it really cuts the chill and dampness. I have had people tell me it's depressing to be in the cellar all day, but I find it relaxing to cut my fabric and listen to music and am always amazed at the amount of work I can accomplish.

I would go for the basement if I were you and make it your space. Maybe a carpet under your feet would be good to keep away the chill and better for your knees standing on a cement floor. Whatever you decide, I hope it's the best for you. Welcome to the quilting board, it's addicting!

You said you moved in last Winter, so that should give you an idea of the moister & warmth on your feet. A good rule to
    remember is "See how it goes for all 4 seasons." Then if all goes well, I`d take the larger room.

Blog Entries
    Go for it.
    Wish I had to option.
    J J

Go for it. The basement is a great place for quiet and space. I took over 3/4 of our basement for my sewing area. It was great and I miss all that room to do everything I wanted. Make sure you have lots of light and and it is friendly. Painting a nice soft color helps. And finish the ceiling and floors. Good going!!!!!
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

Quote Originally Posted by greyhoundmom View Post
    Thanks for all the great replies so far! I am really starting to think this might be the way to go.
    AND, maybe if the exercise equipment is UPSTAIRS, I will be more motivated to use it!!

I think I have plenty of heat in the basement--it's mostly finished.
    Might have to address the floor: carpet or something else?? Any suggestions? I was kind of thinking something like Pergo....

First of all, I'll confess, I have not read all the posts!

I sew in the basement, though mine is a walk out, so I do get to see the light of day.
    However, how much time are you sewing during the day?
    I probably do more of it at night, so does it really matter whether upstairs or down?
    The important thing is the lighting!! My room is nice and bright and because of that, I can all too often sew too late into the night!!

Another advantage of basement sewing ... you can walk away from it, and leave something in mid-stream. And no one sees how you have left things. (assumption here, that others are not using the basement) At the least it is out of sight should guests arrive!

About the gym equipment ... Putting it upstairs in an isolated room may be no better for usage.
    Out of sight, out of mind! What about keeping it downstairs?

Mine is at the edge of my sewing area.
    Sometimes I bargain with myself ... no sewing til I do # minutes on whatever piece of equipment.
    Note: I said sometimes!
    ... but it does haunt me that I need to and should do so,
    and Iprobably still use it more with it there, than if it were somewhere else in my home!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    My sewing room is 4x12 section in my closet off the great room. There is no way I'm going to the basement nor upstairs in the spare bedroom. I want to be there with everyone else, near the stove to fix dinner and near the front and back door. I don't believe I would sew as much because I wouldn't leave my family to go sew. I do spill out into the great room at times, but after all, it's my house.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Pergo is a great flooring for a sewing room. One suggestion might be using the thin insulation (it comes in folded 4x8 sheets) underneath the Pergo instead of the underlayment they sell with it or, possibly, use both. The underlayment and the thin insulation will keep the floor warmer.

Sewing room in the basement

Why not use both spaces. You can sew in your upstairs room with new lighting there and have things you do not use all the time like your stash neatly arranged in the basement. I use both and prefer to sew upstairs where it is warmer. I have converted my dining room to my sewing room. Wish I had a bedroom to use but I have 2 bunnies that have taken over a bedroom. Going downstairs to get things is a great way to get my exercise and my body doesn't mind that a bit especially during these cold winters in Michigan. Just a few thoughts.
    Lea in Michigan

From experience, you don't want carpet on the floor. The pins, when dropped, as drop they will, get caught in the loops or fibers. I have a sewing room in a trailer house and have 2 four foot lights to see by. I am sure in the basement it would be wonderful with enough lighting. Have fun!

Loving reading these posts - I'm in the process of readying a space in the basement to create a sewing room. I have heard the prego type flooring is great for a sewing room; I'm thinking that I will put a radiant floor underneath it. I did it in the bathrooms & it was an easy install. It makes it nice & warm for your fett & the fur babies curled up there. Good point about cold hands though - I do fight that all the time & hadn't thought about it... My basement space has lots of natural light - windows on two side but I've been wondering if that will fade my fabric?
    Shannon

i was sew upstairs in my dinning room and living room. my son moved out and i took over his room in the basement, its 15 by 20 ft, i took the closet doors off that made the room even bigger. then once i was done there i didnt need the teenage furiture anymore ,so i sold all that , now i have a 30 by 60 ft basement area for storage, sewing, ironing and i order a cutting table from the hardware store and i put the in the other room. so now i go downstairs sew as long as i want then just turn every thing off, and nobody can see any of the mess its all down stairs. my upstairs stays clean and orderly now i love it.

If you don't have any water issues like flooding when is rains, It would be ok. Personally, I think your room upstairs is better. You don't have the problem of carrying everything up and down the stairs. You would certainly be more isolated in the basement. I would just rearrange the room you have and add lighting.

Blog Entries
    My sewing area is in the basement and I do not like it but it's the only available space in my not too big two bedroom home. I do have tele, computer and TV in the basement but it's still a basement and I would love a room with a window to see out.

If your upstairs room is too dim, I would add more lighting, and maybe store some of the less often used items downstairs in the basement.

Blog Entries
    I to am in the basement, i love it, its not finished, but i am glad it isn't, its post toasty in the basement, i can go barefoot when its below zero and still be warm, also i have wheels on my sewing chair and i can move a lot faster on a concrete floor and not worry if i spill. Also i have tons and tons of space, lots of cabinets and my cutting table is a 8ft. door, sealed and has trim around it and sits on 6 unfinished kitchen cabinets, that i painted white and stenciled with sewing implements. I also have lots of lights, a stereo, frig. and tv. I am all set. I do have windows one is the escape window in case of fires. When i look at the overall picture, i am glad i have a basememt, i can buy and buy and the hubs never knows.
    Mary

When we built our house, I had planned to have a sewing room/study in our basement! Since then I have had several knee and foot problems, and the idea went by the wayside. I did not want to do all the stairs several times a day; so now I kicked the bed and dresser out of a bedroom and am turning it into a sewing room. My problem is my room although 12 x 12 doesn't seem big enough for my sewing things and office needs. I keep rearraning, and will eventually find the way I am content.
    Kathleen
    Retired, and love quilting!

The Basement sounds great to me move all the exercise stuff to the room or another Idea for you why not move the office down to the basement then you have your exercise/ office. You do not mention what the armoire is used for, if not in use for anything use it for quilting storage or move it to another room or down to the basement with that and us it for holding workout stuff.

I use to be in the basement, but hubby said he never saw me (lol) I was either at work or in the basement. So I told him if I had more room upstairs I would be there. In this new house (ugh) he knocked a wall out with a friend who was qualified, now I have 2 rooms in one and upstairs. Needless to say hubby is pretty happy. He even cooks more (lol).

I had my sewing area in the basement and found I just didn't go down there -- hated the darkness, even after I painted it; hated the cool/cold stuff and just stopped sewing. My hubby got the idea that he'd like a pool table and the only space for it was the basement (he enjoys the "cave" atmosphere). So, he had the third bay in the garage converted into a sewing room for me. Two large windows were installed, it was all insulated and a special underlayment was installed before the hardwood. It's just delicious.

I really like the sunshine/natural light, which impacts "color correctness" in fabrics and my watercolors. I just didn't realize that was why I didn't like going downstairs. If you elect to do it, I'd recommend:
    1. Have a egress window installed (fire escape window) -- they add a ton of light and will also add to the value of your home because the room could technically be classed as a bedroom when you sell it.
    2. Have the walls insulated and drywalled. Makes a huge difference in reflective heat/cold.
    3. There are good flourescent overhead lights, but make sure the bulbs you get are the ones for natural light so your fabrics' colors are true.
    4. Hardwood floors are great for sewing -- easier to keep those picky pins under control, and you can always add throw rugs as needed.
    5. Make sure you have a dehumidifier -- don't take any chances on messing up fabrics or machines.
    6. Decide on how to handle heating and power before you make alterations to the area.

Now for ideas should you elect to stay in your current room:
    1. Think about getting some file cabinets and put your table tops on them. If you don't want to use file cabinets, other short cabinets or bookcases work and have shelving for storage.
    2. I like my computer in my sewing room -- really handy when I want to check out the Board on a break from the machine! However, I don't have to share my computer so no one has to see my mess either.

What ever you do -- be patient until it gets just the way you like it and enjoy!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast