Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question on all the beautiful quilting I see on here....

Blog Entries
    Thaks Quilting Aggi & Barb!!! I've seen those patterns Quilting Aggi, but didn't know if you all really used them. And thanks for letting me know how much the darning foot is Barb, $10 isn't that much! And is very hard to believe your first fmq was done on your beautiful Rose quilt!! You're obviously a much quicker learner than me!
    :D :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Rainer
    Bearisgray - is the walking foot the same as the regular foot which came with my machine? Or is it something different?
    Excuse me for jumping in, but in case Bearisgray didn't get back to the thread, I wanted you to have your answer.

No..the walking foot is NOT the same as your regular foot. A walking foot has feed dogs as a part of the foot...it walks the fabric through from the top along with the feed dogs walking the fabric through on the bottom. Essentially it keeps the fabrics going the same speed without pulling so it stays smooth and unpuckered. It is fantastic for quilting straight lines!! I don't know your brand of machine and they can vary greatly in price..so you'll have to check out the details for your own type.

Power Poster
    Bearisgray - is the walking foot the same as the regular foot which came with my machine? Or is it something different?
    I have an older Pfaff (late 1980's) and it comes with the machine. It seems to be attached to the presser foot holder and can be activated or lifted up so the machine can do free stitching.

Some machines do have special walking foot attachments available.

The purpose is to feed both layers through at the same time.

Without it, the bottom layer is fed through a bit faster than the top layer of fabric.

Thaks Quilting Aggi & Barb!!! I've seen those patterns Quilting Aggi, but didn't know if you all really used them. And thanks for letting me know how much the darning foot is Barb, $10 isn't that much! And is very hard to believe your first fmq was done on your beautiful Rose quilt!! You're obviously a much quicker learner than me!
    :D :D
    LOL that's why i told you the price, cus i wanted one for so long, and figured maybe 25 to 50 dollars, so waited and wanted, and didnt know it was so inexpensive lol

Blog Entries
    Thank you Sandpat & Bearisgray!!! And Sandpat, feel free to jump in anytime!! :D I got my current machine about 4.5 yrs ago, and only a few of the feet are mentioned in the booklet, so I really have no idea what they are! It's a Brother, plain jane model.
    I had given my older White machine to my daughter, who never uses it
    :( , so I might get that back from her tomorrow. It seems like that had more feet with it.
    It sounds like I need the walking foot. I taped the heck out of the ribbon quilt when I sandwhiched it, and I'm guessing I didn't pin close enough, it didn't turn out too good. But it's done. I'm guessing if I had the walking foot, it would have helped with my ditch stitching, keeping the material together better.
    Thank you so much for all the hints!!!!! :D

I have yet to try quilting on my sewing machine. I'm sure it just takes pratice. I'm thinking about trying it on my next baby quilt. Something small to starte with. Just keep going I'm sure you'll get good at it.

Blog Entries
    Okie3, I watched some great quilting videos last night on utube. Seeing someone free motion quilt definitely helped make it seem do-able. Especially since one was showing a four year old doing it! lol!!!! :D
    I've got to get that darning foot!
    :-)

D. rainer asked>
    Using as an example - I was just admiring MaryStoaks 'Turning Twenty' quilt she posted pictures of. And I know most of you quilt just as beautifully!
    My question - How is that done?
    good question..I love seeing the quilts we all make, but it would also be nice if they explained how it is to be quilted and the technigue.....this could really help us that are trying to learn quilting and bring a whole new light to the process!
    "This one is going out to be longarm quilted or I'm going to use this technigue to quilt this by using..."

Good question D.R.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Catherine! I've always looked at, and loved, all the quilts, but I guess the how question never really sunk in until the other day. lol!!! :-)

I've got a quilting foot that came with my sewing machine. I've just never used it. I'm such a die hard hand quilter. I've got so many quilts that need quilting I think I'd better learn how to do some of them on the sewing machine. :D

Blog Entries
    Whooohooo! :lol: I got my old White sewing machine back from my daughter today, and it has a darning foot and I can let the feed dogs down on it!! I practiced fmg for just a bit as my shoulders started aching from it! I remember reading before how you all told others to relax and maybe have a glass of wine, and music! Now I know why! lol!!!!!
    I obviously have to master my movements with it, but there is hope at the end of the tunnel now!!
    Thank you all!!! :D

Whooohoooo!!!!!!! :)

Diana, Do you have a walking foot? That really helps. What little I have done it is so much easier.

My friend just started quilting and immediately tried machine quilting. Last week she was talking about sending everything out to be quilted she was so frustrated, almost in tears. I talked with her yesterday and she was so excited. She bought a walking foot and is machine quiltiing up a storm, and not just straight lines. Hope this helps.

Everything I read says practice, practice, practice. For me it is getting better with time.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Shaverg!!
    No, I don't have a walking foot. Have the regular one which came with my machine, and the quilting one I just bought.
    My old machine which I just got back, has the darning foot. :-)
    So you use the walking foot to free motion quilt too? Not just to sew or stitch in the ditch?

yes. Except for meandering or stippling. If you mark a design it is much easier to quilt with a walking foot. Such as feather, waves, circles, etc.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Shaverg!! I'll have to try to get one this week! I've got to quilt the Warm Wishes I did awhile back for my grandson this week. :-)

The walking foot has feed dogs on it. That way the fabric is gripped on both the top and bottom. I don't think you use the walking foot when free motion quilting - instead you use your hands to move the quilt.

This is from someone who has NOT done a lot of SID or FMQ! LOL

Congratulations on your new adventure!

I had a Singer Touch N Sew from the 70s as my first machine. I bought a "Bigfoot" from Keepsake Quilting. It was my first quilt related purchase. I then realized I needed a walking foot. Bought one. Loved the difference it made in my quilting! However, the feed dogs did not go down on the machine.

So, I "retired" it to my DD who needed something for mending. And I bought a Juki 98Q. It came with the walking foot and darning foot (yippee skippee) and the feed dogs go down. But THE BEST thing- the little scissors that cut the thread for you. I am in heaven.

My quilting is so much better. Someday I will make room for the frame I bought last year and out the Juki on it. Right now I use the 8 foot table for cutting, etc. Actually, I don't think I have enough room for the frame in the room.

Diana, with enough practice you CAN learn to quilt beautifully on your regular sewing machine. For example, a friend of mine quilts on her regular Bernina and does beautiful work. I think she's been quilting about 10 or 11 years. She put together a queen sized quilt from blocks done by her guild members and quilted it all on her regular machine. It turned out so nice that they urged her to enter in the AQS show in Paducah this year. She did, it was accepted to the show in the bed quilts: group catagory and it won 1st prize in that catagory! If you'd like to see it, here is the link: http://www.americanquilter.com/shows...lt_winners.php

Diana, I recently purchased the Quiltmaker stencil dvd's. Actually just 2 of them, but I love them. The program lets you resize the motif to fit your block or border size. You just print the design on your printer. I think each dvd has about a hundred motifs. I like to free motion stipple too (no special long arm - just my Babylock). Anyway, I trace the motif onto a piece of tulle with a permanent marker. Then I pin the tulle to my blocks or border and mark. I use the purple water soluble pen when I can, but on darker fabrics I just use a sharpened piece of soap. Practice your free motion on cheapie fabric sandwiches and soon you will be off and running!

With all this information, I have gotten the courage to try something besides straight line quilting on my machine.
    A friend just got a friction reducing "sheet" that she attached to her machine and said it helped a lot to help move the quilt sandwich around. Relieved a lot of her neck tension. I see that is it on sale this week on jhittlesewing.com :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Thank you Carol, BarbM, Pam, CindyBee, and Shemjo!!! You all are such a blessing! :-) :-)
    Pam, is your friend's quilt the Feather Study one? It's awesome!!
    Shemjo, I'm glad your game to give it a try too!!!
    I've got to finish the Warm Wishes quilt for my grandson, which I read you all do just a diagonal on, so I'm going to try that with it. And I just started a sawtooth star 'Dora' quilt for my granddaughter, which I want to try the fmq on!
    Aiden's birthday was the 2nd, and Sienna's is the 25, so they're having a combined party on the 16th, so I have to have both finished by then!
    I'm going to make sure I get pictures of them both with their quilts! :D

Blog Entries
    Thank you Sandpat & Bearisgray!!! And Sandpat, feel free to jump in anytime!! :D I got my current machine about 4.5 yrs ago, and only a few of the feet are mentioned in the booklet, so I really have no idea what they are! It's a Brother, plain jane model.
    I had given my older White machine to my daughter, who never uses it
    :( , so I might get that back from her tomorrow. It seems like that had more feet with it.
    It sounds like I need the walking foot. I taped the heck out of the ribbon quilt when I sandwhiched it, and I'm guessing I didn't pin close enough, it didn't turn out too good. But it's done. I'm guessing if I had the walking foot, it would have helped with my ditch stitching, keeping the material together better.
    Thank you so much for all the hints!!!!! :D
    I find that the stitch-in-ditch foot REALLY helps when you do SID. It's a foot with a flange that goes DOWN in the middle of the foot and acts as a guide. You can use it for all sorts of things - like guiding 2 pieces of batting to stitch them together, ditto with 2 folded pieces of fabric to sew together with fancey stitches or pieces of trim or lace for heirloom. There was a whole thread about using this foot a couple of weeks ago.

Pfaff's even feed system is the same as a walking foot. You can dis-engage it when you don't want to use it. Also, Pfaff has a mid-point for lowering your foot to make free motion REALLY easy - low enough so it sews, but doesn't grab the fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam S
    Diana, with enough practice you CAN learn to quilt beautifully on your regular sewing machine. For example, a friend of mine quilts on her regular Bernina and does beautiful work. I think she's been quilting about 10 or 11 years. She put together a queen sized quilt from blocks done by her guild members and quilted it all on her regular machine. It turned out so nice that they urged her to enter in the AQS show in Paducah this year. She did, it was accepted to the show in the bed quilts: group catagory and it won 1st prize in that catagory! If you'd like to see it, here is the link: http://www.americanquilter.com/shows...lt_winners.php
    Thanks for the site - I'm an AQS member, and they have quilting books for an amazing sale price, and with the membership # you save even more. I order 6 books which only cost me $49.13, including shipping! Now I'm going to go back and look at the winning quilts!

Another thing I have found helpful is Nitrile Gardening gloves to wear while quilting. You can buy them on Amazon for about five dollars. They really help in moving the fabric around.

Do remember to put your feed dogs down (or cover them) when you try free motion quilting. When I was learning I made a practice piece with plain muslin top and back with batting between. It's just a matter of practicing and getting your rhythm.

You can also Google "how to free motion quilt" and you'll be able to pull up some videos and helpful how tos! Just be brave and dive in on some practice pieces!

Lynnbee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast