Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on all the beautiful quilting I see on here.... >

Question on all the beautiful quilting I see on here....

Question on all the beautiful quilting I see on here....

Old 05-06-2009, 09:34 AM

JoanneS, there is so really beautiful quilts on the site Pam posted!!!
Thanks Lynnbee, from what little I've done so far, I can see how the gloves would really help!! Going to have to get me a pair!!
:-)
Old 05-06-2009, 12:09 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Diane:
I have a plain jane Janome 423S and I quilt with it just fine. I would love a big embroidery machine but can do that now. I use this web site to buy feet and such for my machine they carry all brands. http://www.sew4less.com/sitemap.php
I am sure your brother machine is there and they are very reasonable in their prices.
I brought a quarter inch foot, a in the ditch foot, an emboidery foot and a universal walking foot for my machine. That is all I have really needed to do my quilts. When I first started quilting I purchased Better Homes and Gardens Quilting book (If you want the exact name send me a private message and I will send it to you) I have learned so much from that book and I hate reading instructions. This book has all you need to know on techniques, like planning your quilt, cutting, sewing, machine and hand quilting etc. and I love it.
Then like everyone says, practice and more practice. You tube has some great videos too. This site is wounderful for advice and help but the basics you have to gain on your own through classes at a local quilting shop, videos, or books like I recommended etc.
I could not sew as of two years ago and I am on my like my 12th quilt. I love it.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:20 PM

Hi:

At my local quilt shop I found a book called Skillbuilder Companion for Machine Quilters by RGA Design - rgadesignquilts.com. In addition to the book, I purchased a yard of fabric that is a template of various quilt designs to practice with. The clerks told me to make a quilt sandwich (fabric, batting and this practice piece). By using regular thread in the bobbin and wash-a-way thread in the machine (or vice versa) you can keep using this template over again to practice the desgins using your sewing machine. They said just dissolve the water soluable threads and pull out the stitches. This template was used in a "real" baby quilt and the results were very pretty.

I haven't tried it yet, but I look forward to improving my quilting skills, too.

Judy
Old 05-06-2009, 06:40 PM

Thanks Judy, I've not heard of either that book or the material with quilting designs on it! Sounds like a really neat idea, I'll have to check it out!
:-)
Old 05-06-2009, 06:44 PM

Judy, I just looked at your link and it does look really neat!!!
Thanks again!!! :-)
Old 05-07-2009, 06:00 AM

Hello: Here is a fantastic site for free motion quilting on your home sewing machine: http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransso...-quilting.html
She also shows how to make the quilt sandwich, piece the blocks, etc. I've learned a lot from "Oh Fransson's" web site.

Pam
Old 05-07-2009, 06:18 AM

Great site Pam - thank you!!!!! :D
Old 05-07-2009, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pam J
Hello: Here is a fantastic site for free motion quilting on your home sewing machine: http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransso...-quilting.html
She also shows how to make the quilt sandwich, piece the blocks, etc. I've learned a lot from "Oh Fransson's" web site.

Pam
I just spent an hour on her site! THanks, it's great :lol: :lol: