Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question for all you longarm quilters out there >

A question for all you longarm quilters out there

A question for all you longarm quilters out there

Old 04-07-2011, 10:04 AM

I bought a Lennie longarm with a 12 ft. table from APQS and they sent someone out to set it up and a couple hours or so showing me the basics on how to use it. A manual on DVD came free with the machine and it was helpful. The machine cost me a lot of $$ and I had to take a loan out to get it and I'm not really sure I like to do the quilting part. I love to piece the quilt tops, tho. But I have a lot to learn to do good quilting. I do not have the computer, I just free motion quilt and once I get the quilt onto the rollers I rather enjoy the quilting process. I love my machine. They do offer classes for a fee but I have to drive better than an hour to take them. I will deffinately try to find the DVD's that was mentioned and get them. I'm just learning on my own now. The first two quilts I quilted on my Lennie was a queen size and a king size quilt. I think it will just take time and a lot of practice to get good on it.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by suezquilts
I disagree with the lack of artistry of the computer assisted design. I felt that way before purchasing one myself. I envied the skill of a computer. Sue
And therein lies the root of our disagreement on it. I do not envy any design created by a machine but I do envy the symmetry of nature. But even the symmetry of fractals in nature where the same design element appears over and over again, like the seeds in the center of the a sunflower, or the chambered shell of a nautilus have subtle variations and degrees of imperfection from one element to the next. I think it takes artistry to mimic these designs of nature with the creative talent God granted us and it does not take artistry to have a computer do it all for you while you stand and watch it.

By the same token I place more value on a piece of handcrafted furniture where the craftsman turned the leg of a chair on a lathe and did not simply put the wooden dowl on the lathe and have a computer cut it out. There is a difference and it is the same with CG quilting.

To digitize a CG design takes skill and creativity but to say it is artistic, well I guess that is where we differ in opinion.

I try not to confuse the terms "skill" with "talent" or "artistic creativity" with "ability". There are differences in the meaning. Each have merits in their own right but I simply place more value on artistry and talent over skill and ability. All are learned behaviors but talent and artistic creativity are things that not everyone possesses to the same degree, otherwise we would all be Davincis or Michaleangelos.

I also feel to make the comparison of my opinion to the "hand quilters were mortified when MQ first happened" doesn't fly with me. I hand quilt and machine quilt. I have no problem using machines to acheive an end, I just place more value on art that was created by a person using their own talents manipulating a machine rather then a machine doing the whole thing with a trained operator manning the controls. And quite honestly so do most people. That is why someone who can afford it will by an original oil painting instead of a print, or a handcrafted custom piece of furniture over a cookie cutter factory model. There is nothing wrong with CG quilting and it serves a means to an end but I do not consider it artistry. Yes it takes skill to digitize a design, yes it takes skill to make sure the machine head is properly centered over the quilt so your quilting shows up where you want it to and is centered in a block but, barring some sort of handicap, basically anyone can do it once they are trained (ie skill). Not everyone can freehand beautiful designs on a quilt like Karen McTavish or Sharon Schambers or even Green Fairy who posts regularly here. Because not everyone can do it, I feel it has more value.

Sorry to hi-jack the topic.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 AM

this is a good topic for me...

I have the Grace Frame (king size), but have the janome 1600 machine on it.. only about 10" of throat space...

it took me a while to "dare" to quilt.. and get things going.. good thread is a must... i float my batting and tops most of the time... and am pretty caught up in a free motion of loop de loops..sometimes with a little flower incorporated. and horizontal stippling... this keeps me happy most of the time, but can't help thinking about getting a machine with larger throat...
I just can't decide... speed control seems good, but i think it would hinder the flow.... and the computer looks great.. but a little too perfect for my taste..
so as was said.. i guess i'm sticking to the "free spirit" mode... saves money and i'm still having fun.. might just try some "pantogram"..
Old 04-09-2011, 04:37 PM

Thank you for your responses. I guess it really varies how much teaching/support you get. I'll stop feeling angry now and redirect that energy into learning how to use my beautiful machine!! Thanks EIQuilter for the book titles, I'll order them.

Linda
Old 05-21-2011, 06:36 PM

go on utube free quilting videos.. linda taylor has videos on how to load you machine and many other things.. take your time turn the speed down.. play.. many hours of play will help you learn .. all the gals do different things different ways.. i brought my machine.. do just about anything you can think of .. have watched many hours of videos.. just be patient with yourself..and your machine.. look for a longarm quilter in your area most of us are glad to share our experience.. enjoy enjoy..
Old 05-21-2011, 07:12 PM

I have a Bailey machine and there are no dealers or reps available anywhere in my area. In fact there are only two reps in the US and one in Canada. I knew that going in and still bought my machine which is mfg. in NY. There is no training available. All I can say is that it's just a sewing machine. Don't let it scare you. I can't speak to the computer part of your set up because I don't have one but I can tell you that you should plan on spending a good six months of practice to get beyond the learning curve. As you practice you'll learn the ins and outs of your machine, you'll start to recognize various noises that it makes and what they mean. You'll finally find your personal groove and will be comfortable in the way you stand, sit and hold your arms and hands to give you the stability that you need to make smooth motions with the machine. When everyone says practice practice practice this is exactly what it takes. If you get frustrated just walk away for a while, have some wine and go back to it when you're ready. Just don't walk away for good. It really will take some time to get it all figured out. Then you'll move on to bliss...I promise!