Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question for employees of Joann's >

question for employees of Joann's

question for employees of Joann's

Old 09-26-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by walkerjoanne44
The place I worked at searched our lunch pails, purses, bags of any kind. we had to open our coats, and sometimes empty our pockets. It became annoying to me so I started putting things in my bag that I thought might be embaressing to the checker. Got to where I would watch the look on their face. At times i can be onery.
I LOVE YOUR INVENTIVENESS!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Delta
yes it is their policy. I work at JoAnns in Waco Part time and they check your bags and some will even check a closed container. Like a travel water bottle you cant see through. There all kind of people and they do the bad things that make companys make these search policy. If we buy something on break we have to leave it at the front counter until time to leave. But if you don't steel you really don't mind.

That's where you and I differ. I don't steal and I don't appreciate being thought of as a thief. I would mind!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 AM

I don't work for JoAnns but have seen "the purse thing" many different times when at various JoAnn stores. Yes, they are to have their purses checked when they leave their shift to make sure they aren't stealing anything.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:14 AM

I don't work for JoAnns but have seen "the purse thing" many different times when at various JoAnn stores. Yes, they are to have their purses checked when they leave their shift to make sure they aren't stealing anything.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Oksewnsew
Originally Posted by jeank
I witnessed a strange incident in Joann's recently and wondered if it is their policy.

One of the clerks was leaving the store as her child was soon due home on the school bus. She went over to another clerk and opened her purse, the second clerk peeked into it, and on the girl went.

Is it the policy to search employees as they leave? Do they think the employee is stealing the store in her purse? I do realize that employee theft is a big problem with retailers, but I thought this display was over the top, and in front of customers.

Just wondering,
Jean
The Joann's does that here too! I used to work for them, but had to leave due to foot problems..It was fun back 2 yrs ago, but someone new took over and boy, it's like being in a prison, so to speak! The randomly do check purses or bags. THERE IS NOTHING posted about this, so it IS an infringement of privacy! Legally you can say NO, and leave. Our store is a big store, and since early this year, at any one time you can go in there and there's only TWO clerks!!! This past weekend was a BIG sale, the store was packed, TWO clerks!! and the 'floor mgr' was piddlin' around in the back. Therefore, I don't frequent their store often... I know if that's the only fabric store available, you may not have a choice...

Jean
Looks like the only way to manage at one of these stores is to keep everything in your car. It would be awfully easy to set someone up with items from here or there.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by Delta
yes it is their policy. I work at JoAnns in Waco Part time and they check your bags and some will even check a closed container. Like a travel water bottle you cant see through. There all kind of people and they do the bad things that make companys make these search policy. If we buy something on break we have to leave it at the front counter until time to leave. But if you don't steel you really don't mind.

That's where you and I differ. I don't steal and I don't appreciate being thought of as a thief. I would mind!
The thing is: THEY don't know that you don't steal so they have to check.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:59 AM

A lot of retail stores resort to that - my son works at game stop and they have to turn their pockets when they take breaks and leave for the day
Old 09-26-2011, 11:00 AM

Having worked in retail - most stores require you to show them your personal effects. A lot of stores require that your purse or backpack be see thru so they can see everything in it. It's considered theft prevention. More and more retail stores are doing this to their employees.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:04 AM

Well Police is they are to unfold your fabric at the cash register and it would not surprise me if they had stollen the stuff. People do it all the time. I work at Joanns part time and I know none of these people would steal but you just never know who will. Dawn in Waco
Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 AM

Yes, is is sad employees steal as much as anyone else, this brings up cost