Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question for employees of Joann's >

question for employees of Joann's

question for employees of Joann's

Old 09-26-2011, 12:26 PM

I worked at a gov't data operations center for 14 yrs and across from me sat a young man who carried a brief case. Very curious, since no one was allowed to carry any documents out of the room. One day, security annouced they would be doing searches. Ladies, only had to hold their purses open, lunch bags also open. When the young man opened his brief case, every one was shocked. For months, this young man has been carrying a gun into the building. He was immediatly fired.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:28 PM

personally i like it twice I have been accused of taking money from a place of employment - once it was a guy who the cook brought in I was young and couldn't prove a thing so I got fired over it, second time was a a deposit someone stole 50 out of the bag - I knew who did it then but couldn't prove it so I didn't accuse but I got interrogated and it was horrible don't think the owner ever found out who did it but the girl was pregnant and I totally believe she did it

I am actually getting ready to start at Joann s and am very happy to hear they do that - I am not a thief but thieves are the worst because usually they are very good liars too - I am neither but if they make it common practice there will be no chance of ever getting accused!!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:38 PM

Remember the old Johnny Cash song about how he took out "one piece at a time" and built a car? Funny, that now it's standard procedure to check everything!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 PM

I work retail and they have checked as we left to go home.
I know some of the big department stores, have a policy that you must have a clear purse. I just leave my stuff in the car trunk most of time. Let them check, I hope they catch alot of the thieves! keep the prices down.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:05 PM

My son was a supervisor for a company that graded national test scores, such as SATs. He carried a small pack that contained his wallet. Suddenly upper management decided that all the men had to begin carrying clear plastic bags for their personal items. The women could continue to carry their purses, backpacks, totes, or whatever. Now what did they think the men were going to steal, a computer? My son bought the biggest, ugliest plastic purse he could find with enormous polka dots on it, carried it a couple of weeks and then quit the job.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:23 PM

i worked for a while in a high-end furniture store and we were given clear plastic purses to use. even then we couldn't bring them onto the selling floor. they were afraid we would steal a sofa and ottoman. but you'd be surprised at how much stealing did go on. i was at a flea market and i saw their own brand of brand new furniture, still in crates, being sold for rock-bottom prices. how can anyone steal wall units and get away with it?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:28 PM

I was a mgr. in retail for many years and that was the policy. We hate to think that our employees are thieves, but it happens all the time.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by quilt1950
When my girls worked at one retail store their 'purse' had to be made of clear plastic. Can't remember where we found it, but it reminded me of those zipper bags that some bed linens come in, but much smaller.
youngest dd just started @ walmart.. because she has to keep her pocketbook with her (not enough lockers) she has to have a clear one... so she picked up a clear cosmetic case... just enough to hold her wallet & cell phone... she just takes it out of her backpack, and leaves the backpack in the car..

in fact, the shop hop we go on has as thier "gift" this year a clear plastic tote bag.... i asked the lqs if they really had that much theft, and she said the notions walked right out the door.... sad, can't even trust quilters on a shop hop!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Debbr63
I bought fabric at my local Joanns yesterday and the cashier unfolded the fabric then folded it back up again.... guess they are now checking to make sure nothing is in the fabric? First time I've seen this...
all 3 of the joannes i've been to in the last couple years have done that...
Old 09-26-2011, 02:01 PM

If I was a Joann's employee I'd be embarrassed at how my purse looks on the inside with all the receipts and tissue and gum wrappers. I'd have to change my ways. I went to a preview show of a movie and had to open my purse before going into the movie. I thought "what nerve" but then I thought how many people take in movie cameras and sell the movies. I didn't feel so bad then.