Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question for employees of Joann's >

question for employees of Joann's

question for employees of Joann's

Old 09-25-2011, 12:49 PM

yes, when I worked at Joann's they had to look in my bag at the end of every shift.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by jeank
I witnessed a strange incident in Joann's recently and wondered if it is their policy.

One of the clerks was leaving the store as her child was soon due home on the school bus. She went over to another clerk and opened her purse, the second clerk peeked into it, and on the girl went.

Is it the policy to search employees as they leave? Do they think the employee is stealing the store in her purse? I do realize that employee theft is a big problem with retailers, but I thought this display was over the top, and in front of customers.

Just wondering,
Jean
If I had to guess it is probably company policy like everyone has said.

When I worked at Target distribution, end of shift meant everyone exiting the same doors. As we were exiting we had to have our lunch boxes open and ready to be looked at by the secruity gaurds standing on either side of the hall. If you had a plastic bag they would just take a quick looksee to see what was in it. If they had a questions they would ask. After the looksee we then proceeded to go though detectors that would scan for the security tags inside most items coming through the DC that is prone to theft. If you had nothing to hide, no big deal.

"When my girls worked at one retail store their 'purse' had to be made of clear plastic. Can't remember where we found it, but it reminded me of those zipper bags that some bed linens come in, but much smaller."
When I read this comment it reminded me that Target also furnished the small clear bags (fanny paks) for us to carry personal items in when we were in the warehouse.

Most people don't realize that many items, more than electronics, have security tags embeded in the packaging.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:57 PM

I would think it wouldn't take long for a real thief to hide their theft items else wear!! Good grief how embarrassing that would be in front of customers.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:00 PM

A lot of stores have more problems with employees stealing than with customers stealing.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:03 PM

I bought fabric at my local Joanns yesterday and the cashier unfolded the fabric then folded it back up again.... guess they are now checking to make sure nothing is in the fabric? First time I've seen this...
Old 09-25-2011, 03:29 PM

yep it`s the police all emploies have to check there bags before they leave
Old 09-25-2011, 03:46 PM

I worked in retail once upon a time and it was company policy to check employee bags, purses, etc. before the employee left the store.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by cmrenno
I worked in a department store that was having a terrible time with theft. The security guards practically frisked us when we left each day. Turned out the security guards were the ones stealing. You just never know.
--------------------------------------------
Many years ago one of my sisters managed a small Cafe and it had massive losses of big pieces of meat. She nearly wore herself out, popping back in when she should have been sleeping off shift, till one day her regular customer rep offered to "Watch" the place while she got some sleep. BUT she was desperate by then and asked a male friend to sit in his car and watch the back door. Turned out the customer rep was hauling out the meat from the back cooler to his own car while the waitresses and cooks were busy in the front.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

If a person was intent on stealing something small enough to fit a purse or lunch box it will be stolen.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:38 PM

When I go to work I have to empty my pockets, leave my bags to be searched and then go through an x ray machine, and if I can't pass the metal detector I have to stand and be wanded. This is every day, each and every day. But then again, I work in a max. security prison. I can't even have a cell phone at work. LOL And yes, when I worked at JoAnn's we had to show our bags and that was forever ago.