Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on Gifting Quilts >

Question on Gifting Quilts

Question on Gifting Quilts

Old 05-15-2016, 03:01 AM

when i make a quilt for someone, i don't surprise them. They are in on the process so that they have some ownership and more likely to be as in love w/ it as I am. I also don't get hurt when I tell them "I'd like to do this for your child, will you let me?" And they tell me no.

There is still a surprise because usually the recipient isn't able to visualize the finished product.

My disappointment is a lot less this way.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:16 AM

I make my baby quilts large enough they can be used on the toddler size bed later. I figure the baby gets enough gifts when they're 1st born so why not make something for when they're a little bit older. The 2nd year I make a stuffed pillow to match the quilt to use up all the scraps leftover as well as any orphan blocks if I have them.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
i like them for laying on the floor time. non quilters have no idea what goes into one. i've gotten some great results from people and some that think it's just a blanket.
My husband knows what and how much is put into my quilting, and he still calls it a blanket. Oh well.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

Just wondering... if quilts are such a suffocation hazzard for a baby, why is there such demand for preemie quilts by hospitals?
Old 05-15-2016, 05:43 AM

My gs just showed me his baby quilt and said he still sleeps with it every night. He is 5. I do see that trend of not covering babies when they are little!!! It makes me crazy. Just make it big enough to be a toddler quilt.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

I make all baby quilts to be toddler size.

My DD is a RN, started out as charge nurse for Labor and Delivery, now a director of a hospital. She used baby quilts I made to cover her babies in the crib. She also had two of the instant no breathing/movement detection mats devices in the crib. The baby was never off them with two of them covering the whole mattress. I don't know of any newborn not having the detection mats in their crib now. The church has them in all the cribs in the nursery.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:14 AM

I have to remember that the quilt I've made for someone may not have the same meaning for them as it does to me. You may go in one day & it is in the dog's crate. If you give a gift, you must let it go. It was a shocker for me, but I learned a life lesson.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I am also noticing, non quilters do not look at the designs of the blocks, but are attracted to the colors of the fabrics.
I always notice the colors of a quilt before the design.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:37 AM

Yes, I hear all of you. I made a beautiful lavender butterfly print apron for a little girl who I have never met. I know her Mom through work. I was expecting a big thank you but got a brief acknowledgement and the Mom said the girl will take it to school to paint in. I was disappointed! Anyway, I make mostly Project Linus quilts and tell myself the kids are thrilled to receive them. Probably mean the most to kids who are sick or homeless.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Just wondering... if quilts are such a suffocation hazzard for a baby, why is there such demand for preemie quilts by hospitals?
They use them to put over the isoletts in neonatal units to keep the bright lights out of the premi's eyes. They are not used for covers.