Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on Gifting Quilts >

Question on Gifting Quilts

Question on Gifting Quilts

Old 05-15-2016, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Gee ... I wonder how we all made it this far. Whats next?
Every baby quilt I have made so far has been very well received. I suppose the mother has to make the safety choices herself now. I will say every child has loved to drag the quilts around in play when they get older. Sometimes a quilt gift is come to be appreciated after it is used for a while. Then they realize the cozy comfort of it, I guess. Family traditions are strong in my family and they know the value and love put into each one.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

I agree with other, make a quilt that can be use for multi-tasking: diaper changing, play mat and to keep the heat off the car seat.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

My nieces and nephews and their spouses all have quilts and they covered their kids with them, not tightly just up to their shoulders. One niece ended up using hers as a blanket in a "whelping bed" for their dog. I have gotten over that one and Karma paid her due when she made one for a friend and they used it in their dogs bed also.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:45 PM

I make quilts for my grand nieces and nephews when they are babies. I try to make them something the child will like when then get a little older, such as "I spy" or some other cute children's print/theme.

Or else I give a quilt that helps the young family appreciate their heritage. I posted on the forum a Snoopy quilt that I gave my brother's first grandbaby, using that theme because he used to draw Snoopy on his doghouse when he was a kid. I envision him drawing those cartoons for the child when she gets a little older. Also, because farming is in our past, I like John Deere quilts. The parents may be suburbanites, but I have hopes that a tractor quilt will help the young family teach about their background.

In any case, I enjoy making the quilts and hope they are used. As has been mentioned, we have to let go once the quilt is given.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:34 PM

I worked at the Mennonite Quilt center so all of my Children grew up around quilts and so they understand the value of quilts. There is a quilt auction to raise funds and they also volunteered to help run the auction, all this to say that when they receive a quilt they use it with care.

I have 13 grandchildren and they have all received quilts 45" x 60" that has a pieced top and some have Minkee on the back. Yes they are used and loved...on the floor, in the park, watching sports, in the car and on the bed...and yes sometimes the dog gets on it.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
I never heard of a baby quilt be a "suffocation hazard". What next??
A friend of mine daughter who was 9 months at the time suffocated while taking a nap at a sitters. She was put down with her blanket. Tragic. It was not an isolated incident and my friend and her husband have become vocal advocates for nothing in the crib (ie blankets, toys etc) while babies sleep. The risk is very real.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:47 AM

When I make baby quilts, it is done out of love for the people and my love for quilting. How they use it is their choice. I figure I've had the fun of creating it and that's enough for me.

I too have heard of children suffocating in blankets and/or covers. Those of us that are a "certain age" may have covered our children with a blanket or quilt while in their cribs. We were fortunate nothing bad happened. It's all a learning process.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:35 AM

When I gift a baby quilt I tell the parents to not be afraid to use it. I give them a lifetime of free repairs should the quilt get a hole or tear. I tell them how to wash and dry it. My niece doesn't sew and she was so happy to receive the quilt but worried about keeping it "nice".
I told her one day your son will use it to make forts, cover up to watch cartoons or use it for comfort when sick...etc.
Before a baby is crawling, use it as a play mat. I think it helps to give a new mom ideas so it will get used. Also, it helps to ask the new Mom for colors she would like used in the quilt. I didn't let her pick the fabric or pattern. We are all so different in our color tastes, I found this is the best tip to having the quilt used and appreciated. Congrats on your second great grandchild.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:53 AM

I create for the joy of creating, I don't care what non quilters think, but I will say that I have learned not to make really intricate quilts for people who do not sew or quilt, as they have no concept of how to take care of them, nor do they usually value them above the Walmart quilts.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:05 AM

Yes, mothers use quilts. They lay babies on the floor for "tummy time" and a quilt is a nice cushion between babe and floor and catches drool, tears and other things as well as providing visual stimulation to the little one. The no blanket rule is good until the child can roll over from to back and back to front regularly and with ease. Quilts are also used to cover the little ones when taking them to and from the car in their carriers. If you want to make a quilt, make it. And pass on the love!