Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on Judge's Comments >

Question on Judge's Comments

Question on Judge's Comments

Old 11-07-2014, 04:35 AM

A judge is there to give her or his opinion. That's all it is. My last quilt show review, the judge said something like my quilting pattern should have tied in with the quilt piecing. I had done an overall pattern because I wanted the pattern to shine not the quilting. Guess what, now the judge is gone and I'm still happy with my quilt. You can't delve too deep into a judge's comments, it's personal opinion and that's all. Next time, it can be totally different.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:19 AM

Opinions are like belly buttons, Everyone has one. Judges are like the rest of us. They have biases, they have ideas as to what they want to see. Remember, no matter what any judge says, there are NO rules in quilting. If you can gain something from their opinion, then fine try to do better, if not don't lay awake nights wondering how you made such a failure. Someone will absolutely love your quilt and think of you when they snuggle up in it so it's really perfect after all! Some judges have taken classes to be judges and some are just people who are quilters (?)) like the rest of us and really have no credentials at all.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:49 AM

Unfortunately, quilt judging is very subjective. There are no black and white rules to follow.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
I just take it as fact now. If you expect to win at a bigger show you have to quilt the #$#% out of the piece.
Haha! I haven't entered before but I do keep in touch with the trends.......exactly what I have noticed!
Old 11-07-2014, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Shelbie ... Unfortunately many of our local Fair Judges are far from qualified to do such. Yes, they take the OAAS training. However, many know nothing else beyond that and I am not even sure they even remember what they were trained about at the schools. I know one "respected" OAAS Judge, who has never made a quilt!! And another one who admits her specialty and true interest is towards preserves, and yet she judges quilts. Interesting eh? I'm not saying these Judges are good ... or not so. Though, from some of the comments I have had on my entries, I sure wonder!!!!! I surely have a full jar of salt as a result!! ...... I won't even get into the politics of the of it all.

Sometimes I think that the name of the Judge(s) should be posted for some accountability!!
So often, we never have a clue as to whom it was.
Sometimes I have asked and been told. Most times, I know they know, and just go cold and clam up! L)

AudreyB ... as already said, take what you wish from any Judges' comments. Despite their supposed neutralities, personal opinions definitely do come into play ... they can't help but! After all these Judges are human! Were there no other comments made, other than the need for more quilting? Unfortunately, we never get a chance to talk to the Judge ... or to ask the questions that are left unanswered ... or to defend our rationale or trainings on such. Don't let it defeat you, quilt on and keep showing!!!!!!!!!!

One comment that was said to me by oneoof the Judge's helpers at a show, was that unfortunately, we never get to see the backs of the quilts ... they often tell you why a quilt wins, or does not! Apparently some at that show were outright horrid on the back, yet the fronts were impeccable!
Thank you QuiltE! And thanks to pumpkinpatchquilter and nana-up-north! This had been so educational, really! I had no idea of all the intricacies, politics,etc, having never entered any of my quilts. I think about it off and on and then never do. Although I know that was not your intentions here but I think it has convinced me not to, lol! But I also understand and agree with the comments regarding the difficulties for the judges and trying to please everyone. I have no doubt it could be a thankless job. I am too sensitive and think I will continue to quilt for my own pleasure and enjoy seeing all of the beautiful competition quilts.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

We have a quilt show coming up this February and I'm excited to go. No I'm not entering anything. I do know of one individual who was a judge at the last one. A couple of judges were giving some well said and deserved praises of one of the quilts. When I found out who the judge with the last word was, I was not surprised she gave a big hands down of honorable mention and had to be strongly talked into it. This judge had a run in with the quilt maker a few years back. The judges way was always the right way, even though the quilter's thoughts were opinions and it didn't matter the subject. I found out this judge was no longer to judging quilts this time around. This judge was so biased it wasn't funny. She just happens to be a very unhappy person. She was critical to the point of being condescending and mean. She told one quilter "I don't know who your quilting mentor was but you either didn't pay attention or they were a lousy mentor." This quilter was a long time quilter and did beautiful work. Thank God she never paid attention to the judge. She has won numerous awards.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:17 AM

I have had this same comment from a judge, and he also had a problem with me not changing thread colors on each blade of a scrappy dresden plate. The quilted border was part of the design and not meant to be over quilted. By the way, the same quilt took Best of Show at another quilt show.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:02 AM

I attended a lecture some time ago by an NQA certified judge about what judges look for. The handout we received lists these items under the section for quilting (notes in parenthesis are a summation of her discussion of particular items on the list). They may give some guidance to the OP and anyone else interested...or not. Just thought I'd throw them out there for anyone interested.

Quilting

Does “quilt-in-the-ditch” stay in the ditch? (the ditch is always the low side, never the high side. Plan ahead when pressing seams as you are piecing the quilt)
Is the amount of quilting consistent across the quilt?
Are all quilting marks removed?
Are quilt stitches even in length? (size is less important than being even)
Are straight lines straight and curved lines smooth?
Do all quilting stitches go through to the back? (are there any tension issues?)
Are starts and stops unobtrusive? (burying knots is the best way)
Are travel stitches invisible?
Is thread color appropriate?
Are quilting designs well chosen? (do they add to the quilt?)
Do quilting designs fill the spaces well?

Old 11-07-2014, 07:31 AM

I've had the same experience, and I agree with you, except for the required stitches per inch for the binding we are using it should be a personal choice. Sometimes I just want to shout "I didn't want more quilting". Would love to know what the judging standards on this issue are.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:56 AM

I entered a Eiffel tower wall hanging some time ago and the only comment on the review was "Have you been there?" Really? What did that have to do with the judging? If you like it then it is a winner!!!!!