Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for Moda Fans >

Question for Moda Fans

Question for Moda Fans

Old 04-15-2011, 05:00 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Not trying to be a tease
;-)

...just trying not to lead the discussion, but to let it take its course.
:-)
Old 04-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I certainly wouldn't stop buying all Moda lines, just the ones that are thinner. Your message to them is much clearer that way and you still get to enjoy Moda fabrics of the quality you have always loved.

They have already acknowledged that customers prefer the 60 square goods so let their production catch up to that decision. No need at all to stop buying what isn't changing.
I meant all fabrics that are being produced too thin... not just Moda. I would still buy the older stock from lines that I have seen in person, (and felt!)

Very interesting discussion!
Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM

I was just using two charm packs from two different Moda collections last weekend. One I had bought two years ago and one I bought recently. The 'newer' fabric was noticably thinner, not chintzy, just thinner than the other. I showed it to my table mate and she wondered if it was the finish that made it that way. Maybe this was the answer.
I agree, this would make shopping on line trickier unless it all goes this way and our hands just get used to it.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:16 PM

I have been making yo-yo's with a Moda charm pack and noticed that several of the squares feel softer. Just not at happy with those since I am looking for crispness. Guess it would depend on what I was creating to determine the weight preference.

This is the "Fresh Flowers" line.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I thought I would let the conversation go on for a little bit before I posted the *other* thing that Moda told me.

They said that these two lines are still scheduled to print on 75x75:
- Dogwood Trail
- Summer Breeze II

(And yes, if you were wondering, it is Summer Breeze that is the beautiful but lightweight group we received.)

I was further told that Moda has discovered that most of their customers (and this probably means LQS owners) prefer their customary 60x60 and so they were going to use that, going forward on other new lines.

I asked about all the future lines that I have on order now and was told that all of them are going to be on 60x60. I didn't ask about ALL their future lines, just the ones that I have ordered. So maybe it's just these pretty florals that they decided to do on 75x75?

I'd like to find out what sort of information I can provide that would be most helpful to online shoppers: thread count or weight per square yard, or both.

We could certainly weigh our first 1-yard cut on the fabrics we receive... but that won't help us provide the weight information ahead of time for customers that want to pre-order.
I just looked up the Summer Breeze fabric line and it's very similar with some of the same fabrics as the Sunshine fabric line that I bought last year in a jelly roll. I bought a couple of them for my quilt and it seemed as though some of the fabs seemed thinnner than others in the jelly rolls but I thought it was my imagination. Guess I was wrong. Where do you go on an on-line store's website to find out the weight of the fabric? Or do you have to go to the fabric maker's website to find this out? It's a lot to think about. Thanks for bringing up this topic.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I thought I would let the conversation go on for a little bit before I posted the *other* thing that Moda told me.

They said that these two lines are still scheduled to print on 75x75:
- Dogwood Trail
- Summer Breeze II

(And yes, if you were wondering, it is Summer Breeze that is the beautiful but lightweight group we received.)

I was further told that Moda has discovered that most of their customers (and this probably means LQS owners) prefer their customary 60x60 and so they were going to use that, going forward on other new lines.

I asked about all the future lines that I have on order now and was told that all of them are going to be on 60x60. I didn't ask about ALL their future lines, just the ones that I have ordered. So maybe it's just these pretty florals that they decided to do on 75x75?

I'd like to find out what sort of information I can provide that would be most helpful to online shoppers: thread count or weight per square yard, or both.

We could certainly weigh our first 1-yard cut on the fabrics we receive... but that won't help us provide the weight information ahead of time for customers that want to pre-order.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick
Where do you go on an on-line store's website to find out the weight of the fabric? Or do you have to go to the fabric maker's website to find this out? It's a lot to think about. Thanks for bringing up this topic.
The only manufacturer I know that lists the weight on their site is Robert Kaufman. I don't think that ANY manufacturers list the thread count.

As to online stores that list the weight or thread count... we've listed the weight (basically broken down by lightweight/medium/deluxe) for years. And we might be the online store that's even doing this much; I have not seen this anywhere else. (And I just checked eQuilter, CraftConn, Fabrics.com, ThousandsOfBolts, Hancock's of Paducah and a couple random shops that show up at QuiltShops.com.)

We also list the pattern repeat for most of our fabrics and I rarely find that on other stores websites, either.

We really *are* trying to be the best, and to give our customers the next best thing to actually being here with all the fabric. :-)
Old 04-16-2011, 11:01 AM

I find that the shops with fabric weight info provided are usually one of two types. Those that are not limited to quilting fabrics aim at a much broader audience, and because weight is vitally important in other fabrics that they sell (nylon, wool, canvas, flannel, rayon, etc), they include it for their quilting cottons as well.

The other group, those that are selling hand dyed, hand printed, art fabrics, who have, perhaps, a much narrower audience, also include the weight information because it matters to their buyers.

There are, of course, a few quilting fabric shops who also include weight info, Favorite Fabrics most noticibly. I know of two others I have run across, but I can't for the life of me remember who they were. :oops: (I'll PM you if I'm ever able to reboot those brain cells, Nan.)
Old 04-16-2011, 11:34 AM

Thanks, Ghostrider!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the info. I am a Moda fan and will be looking for this.