Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question for professional longarm quilters >

question for professional longarm quilters

question for professional longarm quilters

Old 08-31-2008, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

The idea of a work order/consent form for pictures seems good. That way the maker/owner can decide whether or not others can also see the work.

Does your longarmer have one?

If one does consent to having a photo of one's quilt in a scrap book or on a web site, could one have some control over the information that's included?

Such as maker's name - if any, is the item available for sale, source of design, type of batting used.

Some good issues are being raised that I hadn't thought of.

I can see that the longarmer would like to take pictures of the finished work - especially if it's good -

I can see that the maker/owner wants credit - and might also not want much personal information floating around -

And I can see that the source of the design - might also want credit.

It does get murky.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Banned

There was no mention made of her taking pictures, verbally or in writing. There was no contract and the only thing I signed in each case was the cost estimate with the quilt description and the quilting motif we agreed on. Granted she holds the copyright on the photos she took, but she does not have the right to publish those photos without the express permission of the maker(s) of the art she photographed...or at least that's how it works in the graphic arts world. She did not ask, before or after, implicitly or explicitly, no way, no how, and that is what makes me the angriest.

I feel she is intentionally misleading visitors to her website and it makes me not trust her very much any longer. My fear is that if I talk to her and explain how I feel, asking that she remove the pictures of my work from her website, I risk her not doing her best on any future quilts that I take her. I know that sounds awful, but if I am not thrilled with something down the road, it will be my first thought. I just don't think I'll ever feel "safe" with her again.

I really appreciate all the comments and opinions you all have put forth. Thank you so much. I have a lot to think about...and five tops that need quilting by Christmas! :shock:

Old 08-31-2008, 01:19 PM

I don't know a single LAer that would not try to do her best on every quilt that comes into their possession. All we have is our reputation. We're in business, and business comes from happy customers. If you don't want your beautiful quilts put on the site, or if you want your name listed as the top maker, let her know. As long as you do it without being accusatory, and assuming this woman isn't a total nutjob, this is all very, very solvable. Communication is key.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:35 PM
Banned

Thanks, Shelley. She's not a nutjob and I would not be accusatory when talking to her, so you're probably right on! Paranoia got the best of me, one of the perils of living alone and thinking too much!! :wink: Thanks for the smack upside the head!
Old 08-31-2008, 05:54 PM

I didn't mean for it to be a smack upside the head...just a little nudge!

:)
Old 09-25-2008, 12:26 PM

Did this get resolved??? Curious minds (ok, busybodies) want to know!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Banned

Hi, Shelley. Funny you should ask that today. Tomorrow I take three quilts to someone new. Her work is amazing and her website and webshots page give full credit to the piecer of any quilts she posts (and she only does that with their permission). The other quilter was quite huffy when I spoke to her, refused to remove my quilts from her site, and said there was nothing I could do about it. Wrong...I took my business elsewhere. The new quilter was actually my first choice, but her lead time has always been quite long. Now that the economy is slower, she has less business and a shorter wait. I'll post pics when I get them back. I've seen her work (design, peicing and quilting) at quilt shows and have spoken to her several times. Her website is what made me contact her, so know that how you present things on your website is pretty important to potential clients. :wink:
Old 09-25-2008, 01:16 PM

I'm so sorry your first LAer was not cooperative!!! You did what was right - you tried to work with her, got nowhere (and she was snotty!!) so took your business elsewhere. It sounds like there was a reason that she didn't have much of a backlog. Hope all goes well with your new LAer!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Banned

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to working with her. I would like to have a long term relationship with just one quilter. And I thank you for your guidance in this, it helped me a lot to see things from the longarmer's side of things.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

If you sent in pic of quilts YOU made, I certainly would say something! That isn't right claiming credit for something she didn't make.