Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: question?

I would like to try to make a disappearing 9 patch but was wondering if anybody has ever made a scrappy one, all the ones I have found seem to have a more uniform colour scheme. I have quite a few bits of flannel that I would like to use (enough of each to make one block) but there are lights & darks. Any suggestions?

I'm no expert - in fact I'm a new quilter, but I've fallen in love with the dissapearing 9-patch pattern and I'm currently working on 2 of them. One of them is fairly uniform, with a limited number of fabrics and with standard 2-colour 9-patch blocks, cut up.

The other one is a mini-quilt (for my quilt guild's challenge) which I made from nine different charm squares, to make a single 9-patch.

I like the one with 9 diferent fabrics *much* better, and that's how I'm going to do them from now on.

So my vote is - go ahead and make a scrappy 9-patch - I bet it will look beautiful!

Jan

Banned
    it can be done scrappy.

here's a link to 2 scrappy D9P

http://justpurelovely.typepad.com/ju...t-a-tutor.html

Here is a link to the D9P using 5" charms:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/20174.page

And I'm thinking about doing a big quilt with just scraps cut into 4" or 5" blocks....

Wow, I really like the scrappy ones. Maybe even more than the traditional ones.

I love the scrappy ones. I will have to try that soon. I think I will make one for my twin. Our b'day is coming up! We'll be 27 again (haha)

Thanks, that's what I'm going to do, I really think that DP9 is great, looks complicated but isn't really (I say this before I have started one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Susy
    Thanks, that's what I'm going to do, I really think that DP9 is great, looks complicated but isn't really (I say this before I have started one.)

That is exactly right. They look complicated but really isn't. They are a lot of fun too! I used the D9P to make an I Spy quilt.

I cut up scraps into 5 inch squares and made a D9patch with them. It is such a versitile pattern.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rose Marie -- that's sew pretty!!

Blog Entries
    Ooooh that would be pretty in scraps :D Please post a picture of your quilt, we would all love to see it :D :D :D

I think a scrappy would be great, so go for it!!!

Ninnie

Go for the scrappy. I am using scraps to makeone. I like it! :lol:

Thanks for the compliments sewjoyce and Loretta.
    I used 5 inch squares but next time will use 4 inch I think that is the perfect size for that pattern. Scrapier the better also next time.

The picture I posted is with 5 inchs and it is fine. I just think 4 would be better. Use what you have, it will turn out great.

Blog Entries
    Here is one that is scrappy with hearts. My guild made it this in two work days for a fast raffle quilt and we made the outgoing quild prez one too.

[IMG]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...g/S6300218.jpg[/IMG]

WOW, love the hearts. Great idea for larger squares.

After seeing those pictures I am going to get at it, they are lovely! Maybe that will help me get over my fears of mixing colours & patterns! Thanks

I wish I could remember where I read the following information about the D9patch technique, but it seems like it might add to the discussion.

They said that when you cut the nine patch in half on both of those directions, you have in effect created a patch with a sashing and cornerstone on it.

I may be the only one who needed to be told that was the effect of doing those two cuts on a nine patch, but it really made a difference in my mental picture of the block - - and the possibilities.

I may have control issues which is why I enjoyed that little fact but on the other hand - - I am also fascinated by lava lamps, so ... the simple things really keep me entertained .

Quote Originally Posted by omak
    I wish I could remember where I read the following information about the D9patch technique, but it seems like it might add to the discussion.

They said that when you cut the nine patch in half on both of those directions, you have in effect created a patch with a sashing and cornerstone on it.

I may be the only one who needed to be told that was the effect of doing those two cuts on a nine patch, but it really made a difference in my mental picture of the block - - and the possibilities.

I may have control issues which is why I enjoyed that little fact but on the other hand - - I am also fascinated by lava lamps, so ... the simple things really keep me entertained .
    lava lamps and those wave machines with water or sand in them- oh how relaxing- let's go back to those days of watching clouds in the sky :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by sapdoggie
    Quote Originally Posted by omak

lava lamps and those wave machines with water or sand in them- oh how relaxing- let's go back to those days of watching clouds in the sky :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Speaking of which! ... I can sit and spend long minutes watching the lava lamps and wave machines ... but a lot less time watching clouds ... I never thought it was strange, but in light of this thought ... it is a bit odd, isn't it?
    That seals it! I am just an odd duck! LOL ahhh, well, the world needs odd ducks, too

Blog Entries
    I make one using about 11 different fat quarters. I loved it.

Attached Images Attached Images

I too am making my very first DP9 with black and whites from Marcus. My thought was to insert a jewel batik and my question is where to place it for the most drama?? In the center, as the instructions I read say to place the dark fabrics in an X and the lights in the +. So the center would be cut into (4) 2" pieces creating a nice visual??

My grandaughter is graduating from high school this month and attending college in the fall, with this quilt I hope!

You guys have always been spot on with your ideas and I hope you can give me some dramatic ideas.

If you look closely at the picture I posted you will see the little black squares were the center square. The light fabrics made the cross looking design. The other dark squares stayed the same since they were not cut in half. Only the center square and the light squares were cut in half.
    Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast