Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question? >

question?

question?

Old 06-08-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by omak
I wish I could remember where I read the following information about the D9patch technique, but it seems like it might add to the discussion.

They said that when you cut the nine patch in half on both of those directions, you have in effect created a patch with a sashing and cornerstone on it.

I may be the only one who needed to be told that was the effect of doing those two cuts on a nine patch, but it really made a difference in my mental picture of the block - - and the possibilities.

I may have control issues which is why I enjoyed that little fact <g> but on the other hand - - I am also fascinated by lava lamps, so ... the simple things really keep me entertained <g>.
lava lamps and those wave machines with water or sand in them- oh how relaxing- let's go back to those days of watching clouds in the sky :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-09-2009, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by sapdoggie
I wish I could remember where I read the following information about the D9patch technique, but it seems like it might add to the discussion.

They said that when you cut the nine patch in half on both of those directions, you have in effect created a patch with a sashing and cornerstone on it.

I may be the only one who needed to be told that was the effect of doing those two cuts on a nine patch, but it really made a difference in my mental picture of the block - - and the possibilities.

I may have control issues which is why I enjoyed that little fact <g> but on the other hand - - I am also fascinated by lava lamps, so ... the simple things really keep me entertained <g>.
lava lamps and those wave machines with water or sand in them- oh how relaxing- let's go back to those days of watching clouds in the sky :lol: :lol: :lol:
Speaking of which! ... I can sit and spend long minutes watching the lava lamps and wave machines ... but a lot less time watching clouds ... I never thought it was strange, but in light of this thought ... it is a bit odd, isn't it?
That seals it! I am just an odd duck! LOL ahhh, well, the world needs odd ducks, too <g>
Old 06-09-2009, 06:38 AM

I make one using about 11 different fat quarters. I loved it.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-30158.jpe  
Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 AM

I too am making my very first DP9 with black and whites from Marcus. My thought was to insert a jewel batik and my question is where to place it for the most drama?? In the center, as the instructions I read say to place the dark fabrics in an X and the lights in the +. So the center would be cut into (4) 2" pieces creating a nice visual??

My grandaughter is graduating from high school this month and attending college in the fall, with this quilt I hope!

You guys have always been spot on with your ideas and I hope you can give me some dramatic ideas.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:37 AM

If you look closely at the picture I posted you will see the little black squares were the center square. The light fabrics made the cross looking design. The other dark squares stayed the same since they were not cut in half. Only the center square and the light squares were cut in half.
Hope that helps.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:44 AM

Rose Marie,
That makes perfect sense and just what I was looking for, something that looks a little more clever, creative and intricate. Since I have never worked with black/white as a base, I thought I'd ask.
Thanks for your time and expertise.
Susan
Old 06-09-2009, 04:16 PM

Speaking of which! ... I can sit and spend long minutes watching the lava lamps and wave machines ... but a lot less time watching clouds ... I never thought it was strange, but in light of this thought ... it is a bit odd, isn't it?
That seals it! I am just an odd duck! LOL ahhh, well, the world needs odd ducks, too <g>

Odd ducks in groups divisible by 2 become even ducks - so surround yourself with at least three more odd ducks and you'll be even. I
volunteer to be one of the three, any more volunteers? :?: :?: :?:
Old 06-09-2009, 09:10 PM

Odd ducks in groups divisible by 2 become even ducks - so surround yourself with at least three more odd ducks and you'll be even. I
volunteer to be one of the three, any more volunteers? :?: :?: :?:
LOL ... they say figures don't lie, but liars figure ... I think your math is a bit fuzzy ... I mean ... furry, uh ... downy? LOL
Old 06-09-2009, 09:15 PM

Best thing about quilting is there is really no rules.....your idea sounds fantastic.....give it a go....bet it will be great.....:-)
Old 06-10-2009, 04:32 AM

Thanks for the visual, sashing and cornerstones, helps the creative juices.
Well if you have control issues, you've met your match. I spend so much time choosing fabric, color schemes, placement and planning that making the quilt is a breeze.
thanks for your time,
Susan