Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about Paducah Quilt show >

Questions about Paducah Quilt show

Questions about Paducah Quilt show

Old 02-23-2013, 11:46 PM

Thanks, Bellaboo- that's exactly the kind of " inside" info we were looking for!
Old 02-24-2013, 03:30 AM

Yes of course a lot of us have been to Paducah. I have gone twice. You will do a ton of walking. There are lots of places to park. You can take the shuttle from venue to venue. The AQS website will give you lots of info about the show. Wear comfortabe shoes and pack some power bars and snacks. You wont regret having something to sack on between meals. Have fun at the show!

Do a "search" on ths forum. You topic hs been discussed many times.

Sandy

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-09-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:28 AM

We used the shuttle busses without any problem. As the weather was so nice when we went, we decided to walk around a lot, too. I wore out socks and had to get more!

Enjoy and take you camera or smart phone.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:24 PM

Parking shouldn't be an issue at all and the shuttles are free. You can pick up a route map at any entrance. There are Downtown loop shuttles, Hancock's and Mall shuttles and shuttles to Eleanor Burns tent at Carson Park. They run all day in continuous routes. Plenty of places to eat in all price ranges...you can grab a sandwich at the food vendor's tents right outside the Convention center, try some of the neat little places downtown or head out to the Mall area where there's a Cracker Barrel, Ryans, Olive Garden and all sorts of fast food places. (the Panera Bread is nice, cheap, quick and the food is good) The Convention Center is right next door to the big vendor's tent...and outside food court. The Museum is just a couple of blocks from there and the Eleanor Burns store (different from her tent) is a block or so over from there. Vendors come in and set up shop in any vacant stores downtown which is just a block from the Museum. (shuttles go there too) There's a shuttle to the Cherry Civic Center antique quilt show between the convention Center and Hancocks. Inside the Convention Center there is a package check area where you can leave your loot while you load up on more and the Post Office sets up inside the Convention center so you can mail stuff home that you don't want to carry. Ask anything...I'm local and Mom is a docent at the Museum ...and one of the YoYo Ladies, so I'll be able to get you answers to anything you need to know.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

I adore the Yo Yo Ladies!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:10 PM

The YoYo Ladies are getting geared up for the show...they're spending all week next week at one of the executive cottages at KY Dam with all of their sewing stuff. You should see the cute thread carriers they're making (they've sold them for several years now) They've got some cute kitty cat prints this year. Whatever they make from their sales goes back to the Museum or to charity. These little ladies (there's only 4 of them) have donated over $80,000 to various causes since they've been doing this.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

Melody, a few years ago the Yo Yo ladies were demoing the 3D bowtie block, made with one seam. I sat for a few hours learning how to make these. One of the Yo Yo said her daughter was going to write up instructions and have print outs for the block available. The ladies had no idea the 3D block would be such a hit. They were just passing time making them while selling raffle tickets. The crowd around them learning how to do this was constant all day. Would you happen to be the daughter to write the instructions? I would love to have a copy. I have tried to write what I do as I make them but it doesn't make sense to others. LOL
Old 02-27-2013, 05:47 AM

Yep, that would probably be me. I'll run over to their lake cottage next week and take pictures so I can write up the tutorial with images. They could have the print outs ready for the show, and I could send anyone here one if they like. Those bowties were a huge hit...the vendors even started coming out to their table to see why everyone was buying up all of their pre-cut squares. The bowties originated as an origami fold for paper, but an enterprising quilter translated it into fabric and the rest was history...they made hundreds of the things that year. I write tutorials all the time for my regular job, so I think I can put together a good instruction sheet. (I work for another IB community, Dave's Garden) I'm also a fabric artist.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-09-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: pm to member
Old 02-27-2013, 05:57 AM

I have been there many times and just love it. The show itself is in the huge convention hall and you walk around in there. There are food vendors outside with burgers etc for lunch. If you want to go to some places, they do have shuttles. Why don't you log on to the AQS website or put in the search engine "Paducah Quilt Show" and read all the various sites ? There is parking just about everywhere, people charge a fee for their yards even. The whole city of Paducah does everything they can to help you have the best time of your life. Don't forget the Rotary Show and the vendors at the mall too. Eleanor Burns usually does a show that is great as well as sells very cheap/great fabric.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:45 AM

I had wanted to watch, but you are right, those ladies were surrounded! I would love to see/have the tutorial. Will you be posting it here? Please send me a PM, if you don't mind, for mre info.

Originally Posted by melodyr View Post
Yep, that would probably be me. I'll run over to their lake cottage next week and take pictures so I can write up the tutorial with images. They could have the print outs ready for the show, and I could send anyone here one if they like. Those bowties were a huge hit...the vendors even started coming out to their table to see why everyone was buying up all of their pre-cut squares. The bowties originated as an origami fold for paper, but an enterprising quilter translated it into fabric and the rest was history...they made hundreds of the things that year. I write tutorials all the time for my regular job, so I think I can put together a good instruction sheet. (I work for another IB community, Dave's Garden) I'm also a fabric artist and the Museum keeps my hand-dyed silk scarves in the gift shop.